H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 09-20-2005, 08:42 PM

Lucci is off the scale

I went out to start the H3 Sat morning and everything was dead! The dealer had to flat tow it away. They called today to say that the Navigation system killed it and will keep killing it. They charged the battery and tested the system. Said normal draw with vehicle off is 8-9mA; that all was fine, then out of no where the draw would jump another 25mA for 20 minutes or more and it would do this repeatedly until dead. I usually drive the thing only on weekends so they told me it would be dead everyweekend if something isn't found in the Navigation unit; that they did isolate it to the unit. Anyone else experience anything like this or any suggestions? I have an appointment with the installer on Friday, but he did not sound encouraging!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:42 PM

Lucci is off the scale

I went out to start the H3 Sat morning and everything was dead! The dealer had to flat tow it away. They called today to say that the Navigation system killed it and will keep killing it. They charged the battery and tested the system. Said normal draw with vehicle off is 8-9mA; that all was fine, then out of no where the draw would jump another 25mA for 20 minutes or more and it would do this repeatedly until dead. I usually drive the thing only on weekends so they told me it would be dead everyweekend if something isn't found in the Navigation unit; that they did isolate it to the unit. Anyone else experience anything like this or any suggestions? I have an appointment with the installer on Friday, but he did not sound encouraging!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

bjc is off the scale

I have a portable garmin streetpilot 330 plugged into cigarette lighter on a permanent basis. I also rarely take my H3 out of the garage other than weekends. No battery drain issues so far...
Birch White H3 Manual, Adventure Package, Sunroof, Trailering Package, Off-Road Lamps, Splashguards, Black Tubular Assist Steps, Black Crossbows, Mudder Mats, Ski Rack, Warn XD9000 w/ DOI Hawse Winch Bumper, DOI Prototype Skid Plates, M101A1 3/4 ton trailer.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:50 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

Lucci, that sucks! I was about to install a AVN 2454 myself! It must be something to do with the installation. Plenty of these units went into the H2's with no issues.

Also, did you have the Monsoon radio? If so, did you have to replace speakers, amps, etc?
2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Old 09-21-2005, 06:31 PM

h3\'er is off the scale

Something else is going on here If i remember right the h3 has a auto disconnect on the battery if it sense current draw for too long.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:32 PM

h3\'er is off the scale

Who installed it and how did they install it? Did they Use the proper interface kits fr the harness or did they just cut into the wiring harness?
Old 09-22-2005, 12:04 AM

Lucci is off the scale

I guess the Navigation was direct wired and not switched, so the power draw was totally outside the Electronics of the H3; so I guess that is why there is no "rundown" protection. They did (supposedly) use the proper interfaces for the thing. The Hummer dealer says they should have installed with some type of power surge relay or had the unit use switched power.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Also, did you have the Monsoon radio? If so, did you have to replace speakers, amps, etc?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I did have the Monsoon and I also added a Pioneer Airware XM2go unit, hardwired. Everything sounds good through the stock speakers/amp etc. nothing else replaced

The Hummer dealer was great though; no charge for the flatbed service or the troubleshooting of the issue. They even offered to talk to the Navigation Installation folks when I take it back there.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:53 PM

h3\'er is off the scale

If the install people used the correct interfaces there was no need to tap into power anywhere. The factory harness provides you all you need. Time to go to a different install shop
Old 09-23-2005, 01:00 AM

hummer 007 is off the scale

That sucks.....Thats What you get for getting an Eclipse navi. You should of got the Alpine!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 04:37 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by h3'er:
Something else is going on here If i remember right the h3 has a auto disconnect on the battery if it sense current draw for too long. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The computer can monitor certain things and cut off power to many things if they are left on. But if someone wires something directly to the battery, or a stud on the fuse block, the computers can't electronicaly disconnect the battery to eliminate the draw. These things don't have many great sources of ignition voltage so I've seen people already just running constant 12v to things they should be running switched volts to.
Old 09-25-2005, 01:15 PM

Lucci is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hummer 007:
That sucks.....Thats What you get for getting an Eclipse navi. You should of got the Alpine!!!!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree it sucks; but the navigation system is great. I don't think the problem had to do with the brand of the Navi unit so much as how it was installed. I can't find anything so far that I don't like about the Navi unit. I don't know anything about the Alpine.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:58 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I you want to find out if it actually is the Nav unit, unhook it and see if your battery goes dead. Do you have to manually turn the unit off whenever you turn the vehicle off? If it goes off by itself then it actually is switched and the Nav probably isn't the issue. Could be somewhere else in the install that is causing the problem though. From what you have said, sounds to me like you are in need of a new shop that knows what they are doing. Could just be your interpretation of what they are telling you but sounds to me like your shop took short cuts they shouldn't have.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 10-16-2005, 07:23 PM

Lucci is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerNewbie:
I you want to find out if it actually is the Nav unit, unhook it and see if your battery goes dead.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had the shop that installed the Nav call the Dealer and get the scoop; when they called and talked to the Tech. that worked on my vehicle, he had a totally different story than the Service writer gave me. The Tech said nothing wrong with Nav install, but they couldn't find anything wrong with H3 either. Well a month goes by and the H3 is dead again. Dealer Service Mgr. comes out at 8:30 P.M to pick it up
and take it in. They called the next day to say that they can't really find anything wrong. (The Nav and XM install are switched) They replaced the battery but want to keep for a bit for some testing. I said keep it till it works! Waiting to hear back.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Hummer Veteran

Bling is off the scale

The Navigation wiring harness is live even with the suv turned off. I hooked up a overhead DVD system this morning and found the NAV wiring (it is right under the driver console along with brake and tow accessory hookups).
Old 10-21-2005, 02:10 AM

Lucci is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bling:
The Navigation wiring harness is live even with the suv turned off... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not sure what you mean; the way they installed mine there is no power to the unit when the key is switched off.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:24 PM

Lucci is off the scale

Bling; maybe I know what you were talking about now. This last time in the Hummer shop they decided to have me have the Nav unit removed and the original radio re-installed to see if the issue happens with the original setup since they can't find anything else. Apparently, even if the unit is switched to the ignition, the harness interface connects in such a way that there is a tiny amount of power to keep the clock and memory stuff current. So the next couple weeks will tell I guess. If it is the Navigation system, does anyone know if the factory unit can be added to our vehicles that did not come with them? My dealer said they are available now but was unsure if they could be installed in a non-navi unit. I also see the factory Navi has been added to the Hummer H3 website options list. Also the Roof marker lights, the off-road lights and the off-road lights that set in the bumper have all been added back to the site recently.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

That sucks.....Thats What you get for getting an Eclipse navi. You should of got the Alpine!!!!!!!
NOT!!!! lol
We do more Eclipse navs than any other and never (knock knock knock wood) have any problems with them in any vehicles. I have never yet had a defective unit and I cannot say the same for Alp, Pio, or Kenwood. Not to say that the Eclipse is better than those in other ways, just seems to be better all around quality.
I would say that the shop installed it incorrectly and did not use the proper interface and/or switched 12v lead. When installed correctly, it will draw about the same as the Oem for clock/memory which is give or take 40ma--at that rate it would take about 1 month to run the battery down all other things being equal. If the Eclipse were causing battery drains, I would have many upset customers and I have none. Have your installer try another interface or try another brand of interface altogether as that could be the culprit.
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 11-06-2005, 06:36 PM

Lucci is off the scale

We aren't sure yet if the Navi is the cause, but this is the only way to know for sure I guess. The battery had not gone dead when the dealer has had it and 2 times they have had it more than a week to monitor. They said the vehicle electronics shut down in normal amount of time and then held a normal steady draw of 26mA. So something has to be coming to Life at some point and draining the battery they just haven't caught it. The only 2 variables left are that this started after the Navi was installed (about 3 weeks) and at the same time I quit driving the vehicle daily and only on weekends. I assume if I drove it everyday the battery draining issue would be masked. One thing the Hummer dealer did notice is that the "chime" interface would chime if you moved it around alot even with the vehicle switched off. But it never chimes out of character when I drive it...Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this within the next month or so.....
Old 11-13-2005, 11:12 PM

DeezNUTS is off the scale

Lucci....

I have installed Eclipse AVN5435 in my H3 and I'm experiencing the same type of problem. My battery keeps dying if not started for more 2 days. When I drive every day, it appears fine, however, when I let it sit for 2 or more days, the H3 is dead. Have you heard from the dealership what the problem might be? I'm thinking about taking it in; however, I was wondering of if know what the problem might be. I speculate the ONstar interface to be draining the battery, becuase I'm not sure if you have noticed, but after I jump start the truck, the ONstar turns on like it was activate the whole time, but I'm not for certain.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:44 AM

Lucci is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeezNUTS:
Lucci....
... Have you heard from the dealership what the problem might be? ... the ONstar turns on like it was activate the whole time, ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They could not find anything; no unusual drain on the system. Twice they had it for more than a week to monitor, and the first time for 4 days; nothing. They initially said it was the Eclipes installation, but when the Eclipse tech called them they changed their tune. after a couple months of this and nothing, the only thing left to do was to uninstall the Navi. It has been 10 days since the uninstall and no problem. In the past I had it go dead in 3 weeks; then 11 days, and the last time it only lasted 4 days (and they had just put in a new battery) When taking out the Eclipse they noticed that the chime interface would chime when wiggled, even though the vehcle was off and no key in it. Not sure what that means though, they did not think that could cause the draining of the vehicle. I guess we won't know for sure until/if we go for 3 weeks without a problem. The bad news is that if everything works fine; then we have to start troubleshooting the Navi. The install shop said that they cannot test until it is put back in the vehicle. If that is the case, then I have to look forward to the unit going dead again and again until they can figure it out. I would really like to hear if anyone has any thoughts on this cuz I don't look forward to that should everything work normally with out the Eclipse in it.