H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 11-01-2006, 12:29 AM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My key is stuck in the ignition switch

Try getting a little rough with it. Since your vehicle has been handled by overseas shippers supspect that some of the shippers may have had some fun and mishandled your H3. Maybe Jimmy Hoffa's in your back seat!
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 11-01-2006, 01:00 AM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale

There is a cylinder lock actuator system in the steering column. This prevents you from turning the key to lock while the auto tranny is in gear and prevents the steering wheel from being locked. There is a cylinder lock actuator that has a spring loaded pin that engages the cylinder lock and prevents it from going to lock. There is a park position switch in the floor shifter. When you are in park 12 volts is connected to the cylinder lock actuator, the pin in is pulled in, and the key cylinder is free to rotate to the lock position to let you pull the key out. The system is pretty simple but getting at the components is pretty hard. There is an ignition lock cylinder release button on the underside of the ignition lock that will override the system (i.e., push the pin in) to let you remove the key. Off hand I don't know if there is an access hole for the button or if you have to remove the steering wheel clamshell covers. This is a sensitive area because of the air bag.

The other area is in the floor shifter. You'll have to remove the shifter knob (screw in base of knob on radio side) and the shift boot trim. I don't know if this will give you enough access to the park postion switch. There should be two yellow wires going to the park position switch to help you locate it.

Sorry, I can't offer any clear solutions right now. I don't know if it is best to try and remove the steering column covers and look for the release button on the underside of the cylinder lock (chances are it won't have "release button" written on it to help you) or wiggle the wires around the park position switch in case you have a loose contact.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:29 AM
Hummer Guru

Hmmm2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyHighPerformance
...wiggle the wires around the park position switch in case you have a loose contact.
Mountainbiker, let's hope it's a loose contact! What a shame that of all of the issues that could have happened, it had to be something like this one. I keep thinking it's something related to the battery since you had a problem in that area. Keeping positive thoughts for you .. I hope you come up with a solution quickly. By the way, I hope you have something draped over your steering column when you're not in your H3. An obvious key in the ignition is obviously too tempting for the wrong person passing by.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:52 PM
Hummer Professional

mountainbiker is on a distinguished road

Today was not fun I have to admit defeat. My battery was dead once again. My key remains stuck in the ignition switch. I do have a dealer service appointment tomorrow (Thu). I cannot say I am looking forward to the 3-hour drive (unless they fix it all within the day). The work--even if warranty related--will not automatically be submitted to HUMMER. I must take the invoice and submit it myself for possible reimbursement. It has me very nervous. Have any of you submitted a warranty claim personally?
Old 11-02-2006, 04:22 AM
Hummer Guru

Keeping positive thoughts that your 3 hour drive in each direction was not in vain. Let us know what the verdict was on your stuck key when you have a chance.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road

Nope, never had to personally submit a warranty claim. Good luck though. I imagine the miles are worse than the time when its comes to buying litres of fuel in Europe.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Hummer Professional

Well everyone--the short answer--everything is fixed.

I left yesterday at 0130 and returned home at 2130. The drive was approximately 4 hours each way, and about an hour break each way. The rest was them working on the car. In the late afternoon they put 3 people on it, so I would not have to get a hotel for the evening.

It was a botched electrical job by the guy who did the work for the European light conversion. The cause of the problems were rooted with cutting connections going to the BCM, wire taps, and blown fuses.

Final bill (out of my pocket): $1700 + $300 (for the first botched job) + $200 (for the battery which it did need)
Old 11-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Hummer Guru

Wow ... no one even thought of the European light conversions!!! He must have really done some job to cause your problems!! Is that guy in Germany? Can you locate him and present him with the repair bill? So sorry to hear all you had to go through, mountainclimber. What a tough initiation. I hope you have nothing but enjoyment now out of your new H3!
Old 11-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Hummer Professional

Yeah he is a local national that works on the base. He does about 2-4 of these conversion or un-conversions a week as a side business. In most case, especially the older cars (without the things like a BCM) it works fine for a persons tour of duty here (2-3 years). His work is still probably not the safest as the connections are exposed to the elements, etc. Also, he charges normally less than $300 per car, so comparted to the dealership quote (had I went there in the beginning) of $1200--you can see why a poor E-1 or E-3 might go with the cheaper route. I will use this now as a "data point" and info my fellow soldiers about getting what you pay for.

I want to thank Hmmm3 and all the rest of you for your support of the troops and, of course, my new baby H3. Yesterday evening during my 4+ hour drive home, it was the first time I really got to enjoy the vehicle. LOL- but I did notice my leg getting tired without the presence of cruise control. (Now, I need to post "Is cruise control an option that I forgot to request?")
Old 11-03-2006, 09:03 PM
Hummer Guru

Guess your experience is going to be chalked up to a "Live and learn" life experience. That was a tough one. Now just enjoy your H3!

I thought all of the H3's came with cruise control?!?! Or, maybe just the luxury model, as opposed to the base or Adventure models? I have it in mine. The H3 is not really comfortable for the right leg ...lol.. when driving distances. I find I have to keep hard pressure on the gas pedal to keep it going. Locally is fine .. but distances, uh-uh. I still love it, though.

Regarding supporting the troops .. I always have and always will. Thanks for your kind words.

Thanks for the update! By the way, f5fstop still hasn't come back online. He must be on vacation. He'll be sorry he missed all of this.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:02 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm3
I thought all of the H3's came with cruise control?!?! Or, maybe just the luxury model, as opposed to the base or Adventure models?
You know what? I am just assuming mine doesn't have it. I didn't see the buttons on the steering wheel horn area, so I assuming no cruise control. Is it on the left steering column? LOL- this has been my first real trip in the thing (and it was dark), so I haven't learned all the buttons yet.

BTW- I noticed that either the botch light installer or the new installer broke the clips around the trim ring that goes around the rear window. Joy! I am going to have to PM partsguy for a part number.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:16 AM
Hummer Professional

In case anyone is looking for the part number of the rear door/rear window trim ring, partsguy hooked us up with the part numbers:

15841243 Cashmere w/Black specks
15780849 Gray
15791514 Cashmere soild
Old 11-04-2006, 04:42 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainbiker
You know what? I am just assuming mine doesn't have it. I didn't see the buttons on the steering wheel horn area, so I assuming no cruise control. Is it on the left steering column?
The cruise control is located on the LEFT side .. in the same area as the window washing and where your directional lights are. Not to confuse it with the window washing 'little paddle' that allows you to have your windshield sprayed once) moves forward).. the cruise control has a little 'paddle' that goes left to right .. for off, maintain speed and accelerate. Do you see that area?
Old 11-04-2006, 04:48 AM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road

Glad you got the main problem fixed!

Yeah, like Humm3 said, on the stalk, there is a little slider on the end. If you slide that in one notch, you will make the cruise active. Then to set the speed, press in the center end of the stalk (it's a round button almost as round as the stalk, you'll feel it). Then when cruising, if you press that button again, you'll drop 1MPH, and if you use the slider, and push it all the way in, it will rebound. This with either increase speed by 1MPH or "resume" your cruising speed if you have to brake for some reason, and need to come back up to speed.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:37 AM
Hummer Expert

deserth3 is on a distinguished road

Never thought about the conversion. What has to be done? You should get your money back.

I have the adventure package. It has the cruise on the turn signal knob. I drove a basic as a loaner and I'm pretty sure it had cruise too.

Glad to hear your babies fixed.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:22 AM
Hummer Guru

Mountainbiker, did you ever find your cruise control?
Old 11-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm3
Mountainbiker, did you ever find your cruise control?
I did actually. It is a different set up than my Explorer. The Explorer has everything on the steering wheel (horn area), and the H3 has it all tucked into the multi-function left "stalk". Unfortunately, since having made the epic trip to/from the dealer, I have it parked on the base. I am not legally allowed to drive it until it is registered (or at least applied for registration). There are some issues with taxes that I must get sorted out before this can occur. LOL- it has been an interesting "ridw" getting this thing to the point where I can just drive it. Also, prior to the light conversion problem, I had wanted to get a remote start and alarm system like the Viper system in my Explorer; however, I am now afraid to have someone touch the electrical system and screw it up again. Even adding the HitchCam (once the spares are rec'd) seems almost evasive.

Last edited by mountainbiker : 11-06-2006 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainbiker
LOL- it has been an interesting "ride" getting this thing to the point where I can just drive it.
"Interesting ride" is an understatement, mountainbiker. I hope it all comes together for you soon. You'll have a lot of driving to do to make up for lost time. Keep us updated here.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:19 AM
Hummer Professional

DAMN, DAMN, DAMN - my key is stuck again! It has been working fine...until...

It is after midnight here. I just picked up my wife at the airport a little while ago. On the way back from the airport, I switched on my SMA roof lights ... nothing. When I got hope I checked the fuse for the lights, and it had a blown 10A fuse. (This fuse is not in the fuse box. It is an external run and connects right next to the mega fuse.) Not thinking I popped in another one, and it immediately blew. I didn't have any more, so I said I'd just mess with it in the morning. This is when I also noticed the key would no longer come out of the ignition.

Now, thinking about it. I could have sworn there use to be a was a 125A fuse, but I think the HUMMER dealer put a 10A fuse in there after my recent visit to them. It didn't dawn on me at the time, but I do recall them saying they swapped a 125A fuse because it was too large. I think maybe it wasn't?

What fuse are you using for your roof lights? I bet it is more than 10A?

I am thinking my key is stuck again, because I blew something when I put in that 10A fuse. The sun roof and wipers don't operate. I have checked ALL the mini fuses, and they appear okay, but I have to be missing something. Do you have any ideas what I could check to try to get the key out?

Last edited by mountainbiker : 11-10-2006 at 04:25 AM.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:23 AM
Hummer Guru

OMG, I can't believe this is happening to you again, mountainbiker. I don't have an answer. Your thoughts about the fuse being too small makes sense. I hope one of the tech guys look in soon for your sake. Or, even anyone with marker lights so they can check their fuse. I don't have marker lights .. yet. Otherwise, your wife may have to go on a scenic drive with you back to the dealer. At least you could use your cruise control this time. I really feel badly for you. You must be feeling livid just about now.