H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 10-20-2005, 10:58 PM

Pwrsport is off the scale

Here are pics of Volants cold air intake installed on wifes H3. Part # 15635 I bought it from Ed at southernhotrod.com 310.00 delivered to my door.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:58 PM

Here are pics of Volants cold air intake installed on wifes H3. Part # 15635 I bought it from Ed at southernhotrod.com 310.00 delivered to my door.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:23 PM
Hummer Professional

DeLeon is off the scale

Thanks for the pics Pwrsport, how is the performance after installing this cold air intake, would you recommend it? is it worth the $ ?

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2005, 11:49 PM

I feel it was a good investment, it pulls stronger, I also noticed a difference passing @ 70 mph It feels stronger, More power, I have more confidence to attempt passes at highway speeds. I live at 6500 ft and regularly run it on highways @ 8500 ft. there is a noticable preformance difference. I would definately reccomend the volant, no heat from the engine compartment!!
Old 10-21-2005, 12:00 AM

I took my time while installing, disconnected the negative battery terminal, have over 600 miles since install, flawless...
Absolutetly no check engine lights.

At wot you can hear intake, not obnoxious, never noticed stock, however I wasn't listening for it either
Old 10-21-2005, 04:04 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks good! Where did you get it?

Old 10-21-2005, 09:28 AM

I got it through Southern Hotrod 1-866-441-4364 (toll free)
I talked with Ed. Also check southernhotrod.com their web page GREAT People!
Old 10-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Hummer Authority

hmrlvr is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not familiar with the differance between this one and the other brands I've seen on the forum. But the lid on the air cleaner? do the others have that? If not why? Is it not needed?
Old 10-21-2005, 09:47 PM

Im not sure about all of them, the ones without lids will allow warm air, into intake, The Volant only allows cool dense air into engine, which helps create more hp
Old 10-22-2005, 09:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

Mr Hank is off the scale

I have been waitng for somebody to istall this exact system so I have a few question for ya.

1. Volant has a Ram Air option on some of their intakes. Was this an option for your H3?

2. How is the intake noise? I tried experimenting with taking my air cleaner lid off (for about 5miles). The noise was quite loud.

3. Have you noticed any real difference in gas milage? I would sure love to pick up 1 MPG and a few horsepower from a system like this.
Regards, Henry
Old 10-22-2005, 11:08 PM

#1 I phoned Volant in late Sept, early Oct to inquire about this system. I was told by the design tech I spoke with that this system would be available in early Oct, with the ram air tube to be available somtime in November this year. What my pictures don't show is is the opening at the front right bottom of the intake box (as facing truck) that is appx 2.5 inches in OD diameter. This is where the ram air tube will connect. That is in addition to the 3.5 hole shown in my picture.
#2 The only time I have noticed an increase in air noise is when I ask the H3 to give me all hes got (while passing ect.) I do like the exhaust tone now, it seems deeper.
#3 I haven't checked the milage, Im positive the HP, and torque has increased, I feel it, and its not my imagination, this single mod was worth every penny, and Ed at southernhotrod was outstanding (where I purchased it) Hope this helps. Bill <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr Hank:
I have been waitng for somebody to istall this exact system so I have a few question for ya.

1. Volant has a Ram Air option on some of their intakes. Was this an option for your H3?

2. How is the intake noise? I tried experimenting with taking my air cleaner lid off (for about 5miles). The noise was quite loud.

3. Have you noticed any real difference in gas milage? I would sure love to pick up 1 MPG and a few horsepower from a system like this.
Regards, Henry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-23-2005, 03:03 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

I've never tried the Volant but to me it makes more sense than a K&N FIPK, Airair or SMA. How can any of these be a true "cold air intake" when the air is coming from the engine compartment?

I've had K&N and Airaid systems in a Tundra, 740i, TT, H2, Yukon, Land Cruiser, etc. Every time I swear I'll never do it again but I end up doing it.

This time, I think I'll go Volant because it just makes more sense. Even without the ram air mod it still gets it's air from the stock source, which is colder than the engine bay.
2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Old 10-23-2005, 11:44 PM

When you pull the stock system out, you might be surprised, even though there is a 3.5 inch hole in the fenderwell, the stock system has it necked down to draw through a tube 1.5 inch's, inside diameter. I know it made a big difference. The more I drive it, the more I notice it (wifes vehicle) I dont drive it everyday.