H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 09-26-2005, 05:30 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

Can anyone explain why a cat back is more desireable than just a muffler replacement? I had a Corsa installed in my first h2 and aside from the sound, I didn't really feel a damn thing. I had just a muffler replaced in my Tundra and same thing.

The reason I ask is that $700 for a H3 cat back seems unreasonable when you can get a cat back for a H2 for as low as $400. I know it's a market issue but what's wrong with throwing on a 40 series flowmaster for $250 intalled?
2006 Black H3 LUX + Off Road (Sold)
2003 Yellow H2 LUX (Sold)
2003 Pewter H2 Adventure (Sold)
Old 09-26-2005, 05:30 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

Can anyone explain why a cat back is more desireable than just a muffler replacement? I had a Corsa installed in my first h2 and aside from the sound, I didn't really feel a damn thing. I had just a muffler replaced in my Tundra and same thing.

The reason I ask is that $700 for a H3 cat back seems unreasonable when you can get a cat back for a H2 for as low as $400. I know it's a market issue but what's wrong with throwing on a 40 series flowmaster for $250 intalled?
Old 09-26-2005, 10:33 AM
Hummer Expert

First Hummer is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kacyk:

The reason I ask is that $700 for a H3 cat back seems unreasonable when you can get a cat back for a H2 for as low as $400. I know it's a market issue but what's wrong with throwing on a 40 series flowmaster for $250 intalled? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

speaking from experience you dont wont a flowmaster on your H3.The outside noise sounds good,but the inside cabin noise is very annoying.I have the SMA exhaust now and the inside cabin noise is 90% quieter than the flowmaster.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:51 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

TIPS
Old 09-26-2005, 03:34 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timgco:
TIPS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Getting old dude let it go.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Hummer Guru

**** ********* **** ******************************* = TIPS

Does it bother you that much? ...that they may get crushed if you ever push that truck too hard off road?
Old 09-26-2005, 11:45 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by First Hummer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kacyk:

The reason I ask is that $700 for a H3 cat back seems unreasonable when you can get a cat back for a H2 for as low as $400. I know it's a market issue but what's wrong with throwing on a 40 series flowmaster for $250 intalled? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

speaking from experience you dont wont a flowmaster on your H3.The outside noise sounds good,but the inside cabin noise is very annoying.I have the SMA exhaust now and the inside cabin noise is 90% quieter than the flowmaster. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

TIPS X Eleventy Brazilian.

ps. FlowMaster mufflers are the best!! So gfy.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:27 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by First Hummer:
I have the SMA exhaust now and the inside cabin noise is 90% quieter than the flowmaster. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Damn, I have never seen that number published. 90% quieter. How'd you determine that? <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Originally posted by First Hummer:
Getting old dude let it go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Really? I don't think so.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:19 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by timgco:
TIPS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Getting old dude let it go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nonsense, poopy pants. It's not likely to get old any time soon.

Ken is right- how'd you determine the exhaust "noise"(you must be ghey if you think it's noise) is "90%" quieter?
Old 09-27-2005, 09:59 AM
Hummer Guru

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
______ ______ ____ ____
/\__ _\/\__ _\ /\ _`\ /\ _`\
\/_/\ \/\/_/\ \/ \ \ \L\ \ \,\L\_\
\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ ,__/\/_\__ \
\ \ \ \_\ \__\ \ \/ /\ \L\ \
\ \_\ /\_____\\ \_\ \ `\____\
\/_/ \/_____/ \/_/ \/_____/

</pre>
Old 09-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRTYFN:
TIPS </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Getting old dude let it go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nonsense, poopy pants. It's not likely to get old any time soon.

Ken is right- how'd you determine the exhaust "noise"(you must be ghey if you think it's noise) is "90%" quieter? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey smart ass's I have these thing ,you may even have them yourselves they are called EARS. I have had both systems in my H3,so I think that makes me Qualified to make my assesment of noise level.Nice to be surrounded by such Sexual Intellectuals,or as I like to say #$%^^& know it alls.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Attached Images

My Video Collectionez

Old 09-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Hummer Expert

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sfox:
Kacyk,
Go with the flowmaster or leave it stock. You are right, for the price, you don't get your money's worth out of swapping the entire CAT system.

First Hummer,
Got a question for you. If the flowmaster emits lets say 40 decibels of sound from outside and the SMA emits 40 decibels from outside....how can the inside sound be 90% less? OK, I get that the muffler may have some shielding on top or something, and that they may have different frequencies, but come on, the H3 isn't exactly the quietest ride on the road and any significant sound increase is going to be apparent in the cabin as well. And since we can assume that any performance gains will be minimal with either set-up, why spend the extra jack on the other system that will probably get bashed up when off-roading anyways? Just curious, because you have to be into exhaust upgrades for over a grand already and seem to have some very odd OPINIONS of the differences.

S </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My fault you guys are correct there was no siginifcant noise change from one exhaust system to another.What was I thinking excuse me.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Hummer Guru

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sfox:
Kacyk,
Go with the flowmaster or leave it stock. You are right, for the price, you don't get your money's worth out of swapping the entire CAT system.

First Hummer,
Got a question for you. If the flowmaster emits lets say 40 decibels of sound from outside and the SMA emits 40 decibels from outside....how can the inside sound be 90% less? OK, I get that the muffler may have some shielding on top or something, and that they may have different frequencies, but come on, the H3 isn't exactly the quietest ride on the road and any significant sound increase is going to be apparent in the cabin as well. And since we can assume that any performance gains will be minimal with either set-up, why spend the extra jack on the other system that will probably get bashed up when off-roading anyways? Just curious, because you have to be into exhaust upgrades for over a grand already and seem to have some very odd OPINIONS of the differences.

S </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My fault you guys are correct there was no siginifcant noise change from one exhaust system to another.What was I thinking excuse me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

so, are you telling us that you were 90% wrong?
Old 09-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Kacyk,

First Hummer,

S </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My fault you guys are correct there was no siginifcant noise change from one exhaust system to another.What was I thinking excuse me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 09-28-2005, 12:56 AM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

I'm no expert but if a cat-back comes with a resonator, does that fall into the realm of possibilities why it would sound quieter inside?
Old 09-28-2005, 04:07 AM
Hummer Professional

FLYINGBADGER2006 is off the scale

My dealer was offering a intake and exhaust package for $1500.00 Thats the SMA Air Intake with box/shroud and the Magnaflow (cat-back) dual exhaust with chrome "tips" complete muffler kit installed.
Victory Red, Auto,Lux, Cashm w/ eb interior, tow pkg, BFG all terr 285/75/16 incl. spare, black side step bars, SMA chrome hood handles, Kenwood DVD, K&N Air Intake, McCulloch 8000K H.I.D. headlights, Custom made 100% sheepskin seat covers, Dual DVD headrests,SMA dual exhaust,Roof marker lights.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Hummer Authority

kacyk is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FLYINGBADGER2006:
My dealer was offering a intake and exhaust package for $1500.00 Thats the SMA Air Intake with box/shroud and the Magnaflow (cat-back) dual exhaust with chrome "tips" complete muffler kit installed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unless you're desperate I'd wait. On our H2 a cat back can be had for about $400 or less and a K&N FIPK is around $250. Even with install on both units you're still under $1,000.00.

I think the Magnaflow cat-back is available for the H3 (or it will be soon) and there is a K&N intake system for the H3 as well. you can have both for under $800.00. Install the K&N yourself and have a local shop install the muffler. Save yourself $500.00!
Old 09-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Hummer Professional

FLYINGBADGER2006 is off the scale

Sounds like good advise to me. I'll keep my eyes open for any info and deals. I'm hoping that Borla will come out with thier system. Even more so, JBA header or a modified header.
Victory Red, Auto,Lux, Cashm w/ eb interior, tow pkg, BFG all terr 285/75/16 incl. spare, black side step bars, SMA chrome hood handles, Kenwood DVD, K&N Air Intake, McCulloch 8000K H.I.D. headlights, Custom made 100% sheepskin seat covers, Dual DVD headrests,SMA dual exhaust,Roof marker lights.