H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 09-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Hummer Professional

Webb70 is off the scale

Has anybody replaced the 'Driving Light' bulbs yet?
Is it hard to do, they dont look easily accessible.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Hummer Professional

Webb70 is off the scale

Has anybody replaced the 'Driving Light' bulbs yet?
Is it hard to do, they dont look easily accessible.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

YellowH3 is off the scale

Not to thread jack, but does anyone know what the bulb number is? I know the headlights are H13.
2006 H3 Adventure, Competition Yellow, Ebony int., Monsoon, XM, HID\'s, Custom Off-Road Grill Lights, Gravel filled floor mats, Mud packed undercarrige, Dust covered dash, Airbag light ON, DVD, 2 Flip Downs, Headrests, Rear Camera, Front Camera

Old 09-20-2005, 08:35 PM

Lucci is off the scale

If you are talking about the standard lights in the lower bumper they are Sylvania 9140 37Watt.
I assumed they were fog lights, but they don't really illuminate much so I guess it doesn't matter what they are supposed to be, because they aren't. Unless they were decoration only.
I have been unable to find these bulbs anywhere online or in parts stores. I was hoping to find an amber version. As long as we're at it; any electrical Guru's know if the wiring would handle upgrading these to 50W bulbs if I can find a version to fit the receptacle?
Old 09-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Hummer Professional

Webb70 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by YellowH3:
Not to thread jack, but does anyone know what the bulb number is? I know the headlights are H13. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

H-10
Old 09-22-2005, 12:18 AM

Lucci is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Not to thread jack, but does anyone know what the bulb number is? I know the headlights are H13. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And answered by Webb70 as H-10

Can someone else verify this, when I read this I went out and pulled one of mine and it is
Sylvania 9140 37Watt. Or is this another way of saying H-10? But mine do not say H-10 on them anywhere.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:07 AM

WPBGUY is off the scale

I can't find Sylvania 9140/37 watt anywhere.
Wonder why they left this info out of the manual?
I wiil have to look later, they are not easy to get at.
I had access to them before,when I had to remove the entire front end, when I installed the Brush Guard.
I know For fact the headlights are 9008 (H-13) 60/55 Watt.
and the off road lights are Sylvania 9005 (HB3) 65 Watt.
I am glad that I checked the bulbs on my "off road lights" before I installed them.
Because you have to remove the entire thing to change the lamps.
I want to replace all of my lights with the same type/brand at the same time and before I install the off road lights.
I do not want the higher wattage lamps though, just the very white. (I don't want to melt anything)!

http://www.automotivelightingusa.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10

PS I just found this info on eBay I do not know for a fact how acurate this is:

(H10 and 9005 bulbs are interchangeable in the same light housing. 9005 are just higher wattage bulbs than H10)
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2005, 08:43 PM

WPBGUY is off the scale

OK! Here's the scoop! I pulled one of my fog light bulbs. I managed to get at them without taking anything apart. My skinny arms were just barely abble to fit way up in there.

The fog light bulbs are Marked "9140 / 37W".

The off road bulbs are marked "HB3 / 9005 / 65W"

They are not interchangable!

The 9140 has a coating on the end and the 9005 does not. Also The bulbs will not fit into holes, the tabs do not line up.

The "HB4 / 9006 / 55W" will not fit anywhere on the H3. Not only will it not fit into the holes, the plug will not fit (there is only 1 tab in the socket)

The only bulb that I could find that will work besides the "9140" is the "H10 / 9145 / 42W".

There is also a "9045 / 45W" and a "9040 / 48W"
They look the same, but the filliment runs left to right instead of up and down like the "9145" and "9140"

Why do they have to make things so difficult?

So after spending alot of trial, error, time, and money, I learned alot about light bulbs!
Now I am sharing it with you all.
So that was your lighting lesson for today.

By the way, I could have just listened to Webb70 to begin with!

Old 10-23-2005, 06:11 AM

Lucci is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WPBGUY67:
The only bulb that I could find that will work besides the "9140" is the "H10 / 9145 / 42W".

There is also a "9045 / 45W" and a "9040 / 48W"
They look the same, but the filliment runs left to right instead of up and down like the "9145" and "9140" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for all of your work! This stuff is maddening! So if the stock bulbs are 37w and the replacements (I found a 9145, h10, 45w)
Will there be a problem using these higher watt bulbs; fry out the wiring or blow fuses, any electronic guru's know?
Old 10-30-2005, 08:03 PM
Hummer Guru

fourfourto is an unknown quantity at this point

I wanted to change over to xenon blue bulbs. Headlights are H13, fogs are 9140 37w. Has anyone installed H10 9145 42w for fog ?. Will they cause any problems ?.

H3 gray aventure ,sunroof, steps ,roof rack ,smokers package ,window vents, sunroof visor, hard spare tire cover, h3 valve caps ,mudflaps and K&N filter 2,900+ miles
H3 gray adventure,brushguard,hood handles,sunroof,steps,crossbows,smokers package,window/sunroof visor,Airbrushed spare tire cover,mudflaps,K&N filter,SS Hummer insert,Hummer rubber mats,cargo rubber mat + shade,12 volt airhorn,eclipse nav/dvd/rear camera/mini remote,autostart,12 volt fridge,high beam garage remote,underhood air compressor, taillight bezels ,clinometer ,trailer brake and hitch.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:19 AM

ODAMO is off the scale

The amp draw increase between 37w & 42w is less than .5 I have upgraded the back-up lamps on every vehicle I have owned from the stock 27w to 50w and have never had a problem. If you want to know for sure how much higher wattage you can go for any of the lights you have mentioned just look to see what amp rating the fuse is for that circuit. I'll bet you find that you can safely double the wattage of any of the lights and still be well below the amp rating of the fuse. I currently have 80/100w bulbs in my Bonneville, stock was55/60w
Old 10-31-2005, 05:13 AM

WPBGUY is off the scale

I have upgraded all of my lamps.
No burnt wires or fuses.
No melted lenses.
My fog lights are now 55W from 37W
My headlamps are now 80/100W from 55/60W
My off road lamps are now 120W from 60W
I want to upgrade my backup lamps too.
Where do I find them?
Old 10-31-2005, 10:28 AM
Hummer Veteran

primal-hunter is off the scale

So has anyone replace the backup light? And what upgrade in bulb did you use?
Old 11-01-2005, 01:19 AM

WPBGUY is off the scale

I have replaced my rear backup light bulbs with PIAA Xtreme white bulbs. They use the same wattage as the OEM but are brighter and whiter.
I could not find any bulbs with higher wattage. But I discovered if you bend one of the pins over, it will cause both filliments to light. All of the bulbs are 3157. They all have dual fillaments. but the backup lights only use one.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:26 PM

hummerdonthurtem is off the scale

I ordered Nokya hyper white (3157) for my backup lights. We'll see how they work. Wattage is same as stock but supposedly whiter and brighter too. I will use WPB's trick by bending one of the pins. Not sure, but I think these fit in the front marker lights, since i ordered a couple of extra ones, i may put these in the front too.

Just installed Nokya white stage II (H-13) for my headlights and man are they freakin' bright and white. I need to aim my lights lower now so I don't blind oncoming drivers. I've been flashed a couple of times.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:32 PM

Also, my fog lights are Nokya white (H-10) 55w bulbs. They were somewhat difficult to install but I was able to change them without removing the skid plate. I have some nice scratches on my forearms though. Be careful with the retaining clips on the bulb harness, they look fragile.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:56 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Be careful replacing the bulbs in the front park/turn socket, the are also the DRL bulbs.
Hot bulbs in these housings running all the time may cause extra gas to be emitted from the bulb socket, and it will cloud up the lens.
You guys have no idea how much testing was done on these bulbs to make sure there was no excessive gas emission from the plastic socket. (Plastic bleeds off gas when hot.)
Just a caution.

Also, 100 watts in the front headlamps are pushing the limit. Headlamps are protected by two 10 amp fuses; therefore, as the generator output fluctuates, the amperage fluctuates. Ever notice how your lights will dim for a split second when applying brakes. The PCM controls the output and to save on generator, the PCM will take a second or less to regulate voltage. On a cold night with all the accessories on, including all the lights, then the brake lights go on, the generator could drop to less than 10 volts for a split second.
Just a thought...

I won't mention the lexan covers, not sure what their melting point would be.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:51 PM

f5fstop --

Many thanks for the heads up! I was seriously considering switching my headlights back down to 55W/60W. My current bulbs are 80w/100w. I probably won't use the highbeams, but you never think about things like voltage/amps when driving around.

The Nokya 3157 have the same wattage as stock, but would these run hotter? Not sure, I guess to be safe I will not install these in my DRL.

Thanks for the great advice.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:42 PM
Hummer Professional

Webb70 is off the scale

Hummerdonthurtem where did you order your lights from? I can't find bright replacements for the H-13's, also your H-10's.

Thank you
Old 11-17-2005, 12:04 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Webb70:
Hummerdonthurtem where did you order your lights from? I can't find bright replacements for the H-13's, also your H-10's.

Thank you </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.automotivelightingusa.com (H-13 & 3157)
http://www.ajusa.com (H-10)