H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 09-27-2004, 02:47 PM
Hummer Veteran

DavidAragon is off the scale

Does anyone know how I can switch from my air suspension to a coil spring set up? My warranty is about to expire, so I know the bags are just waiting to explode and then my H2's rear will sag...
Hummer Veteran

Does anyone know how I can switch from my air suspension to a coil spring set up? My warranty is about to expire, so I know the bags are just waiting to explode and then my H2's rear will sag...
Hummer Veteran

Old 09-27-2004, 11:41 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

You could just swap your air springs for regular ones. Why are you so sure that your air springs will blow?
Old 09-28-2004, 08:20 AM
Hummer Veteran

intimidator is off the scale

why not just purchase an extended warranty before the factory warranty is up like a gmpp general motors protection plan.there are alot of more expensive components that could fail in the future besides the air bags. could be a wise investment
Old 09-28-2004, 04:45 PM
Hummer Professional

Longhorn is off the scale

What the hell are you talking about?

"waiting to explode??"

Why would that suddenly happen? I only know of 2 people that have blown bags. Its usually just a sensor (30min fix).

Yes you can retro fit. Sam with HUMMERTEAM did it. It is far more expensive to retrofit them than to just replace if by chance they fail.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:25 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LonghornRockcrawler:
What the hell are you talking about?

"waiting to explode??"

Why would that suddenly happen? I only know of 2 people that have blown bags. Its usually just a sensor (30min fix).

Yes you can retro fit. Sam with HUMMERTEAM did it. It is far more expensive to retrofit them than to just replace if by chance they fail. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm your 3rd if you didn't include me. My sensors were fine too. Dealer didn't have an answer. they replaced under warranty and (knock on wood) no issues since.
I agree that steele back there is more reliable than airbags, but I like the option and will continue to use them.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:16 PM
Hummer Professional

Hummertech is off the scale

They have had a lot of initial problems with the air suspension system, but they seem to be working a lot better now. The air bags themsevles are not very expensive. If I were you I would leave it, and under the chance it blew one in the future, then I would take it back to the dealer, they may warranty it since you had the problem once before, and if that doesn't work, then change it yourself. The bags will blow when the compressor stays on and just keeps pumping air into them until they blow. That either happens due to a broken sensor which a quick inspection in your rear wheel wells will tell you, or a faulty module that is internally screwed up. That is probably what they fixed last time. The only other reason one can blow, is if you had another malfunction in your air suspension, and your springs were flat and you drove on it like that. That can damage the springs, then you fix the system, drive a few miles and POW. So if anyone has a malfunction and it is driven on with the ass completely down, insist on both new rear springs.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Got to dig up a old thread here.....me thinks I should have read Hummertech's post a little closer.

The trucks rear driver side sensor failed Wednesday morning, the signs were the Service Air Suspension DIC and the Height Control button light was also flashing and then seeing it lean to the one side when I got to work.

Dealer said to bring it in Thursday afternoon and they would fix it under warranty, which they did at 28,749 miles.

Friday on the way home from work I heard something that sounds like a rock hitting inside the rear fender well on the driver side just as I went over a set of railroad tracks at about 60 mph. Got home, checked sensor and the rear height and all looked good.

Setting here that evening and we hear a loud POP come from the garage, go to the garage to find the truck looking like a dog dragging its ass across the carpet........yup, the air bag burst.

Like Hummertech says above, they should have changed the bags or at least the one where the sensor went bad, I am wondering if they even looked at the air bags

I think the noise heard on the way home Friday was the air bag doing who knows what, settling, moving, setting me up for a scare later.

Sent the attached pictures to the dealership for them to see first thing Monday morning. Going to see if they want me to drive it in or if they are going to flat bed it, flat bed sounds best to me.

Last edited by Easy Ed : 01-27-2021 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:52 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It kind of looks like the bag "separated" from the little attachment doohicky (technical term). Is that the case? Or is the bag ruptured?

Have you looked to see if your trailing arms have any slack in them that would allow the rear end to rotate any. On mine the front of the bag is lower than the back of the bag on both sides. Like the bottom mounts should be rotated forward or something.

Obviously it's hard to tell from the pics, but it "looks" like the bottom mount where it separated is rotated slightly rearward which would aggravate the situation of how mine looks.

Don't drive it. By the way, is the lower left picture with the truck jacked up. I ask, because I would assume the bump stop would be much closer to the top of the rear end housing.

Keep us posted.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Hummer Authority

PARAGON, Good eye, the top two pics are against the bump stops and the bottom two are with the jack lifting the driver side rear. I'd say your terminology is correct, separated from the doohicky versus burst.

Working on a few more pics I just took, be back in a few.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Hummer Authority

Top left picture shows where things are suppose to be.

Top right shows where the pop sound came from.

Lower left shows arrow to where the bag is to be attached.

Last one is of parts that no longer are on the truck and will be on the passenger side floor mat when it goes to the dealer.

In the top two pictures I posted earlier you can see where things ended up after the blow out last night, not sure how they ended up off the post that the arrow is pointing to in the first picture in this post

PARAGON, No slack in the trailing arms that I can tell, I think what you are seeing is where things ended up after she blew.

Last edited by Easy Ed : 01-27-2021 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:22 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Much more descriptive pics. Looks violent. I am curious to hear the explanation of what the cause could have been from the dealer.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:59 PM

alecs wife is off the scale

The tech at my dealer told me that springs are the way to go for off-roading. He said that air bags will fail durring extreme extension. He has had to fix a few sets since he has been working on Hummers.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This post and any pictures posted with it are the property of Adam in CO and/or his affiliates. The contents of this post are confidential and may contain information that is privileged and/or exempt from disclosure under all
Old 03-07-2005, 03:15 PM
Hummer Authority

They don't know how it could have happened but there is a flat bed truck on the way to pick it up today.