H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 04-27-2006, 12:58 PM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks dave , it was a great expierience to wheel with you .

would it be a councidence if a thousand jeeps went thru and 150 busted the same part , this is a risk we all take . Dan Mick and Dave speak the real deal about moab .

we werent just hoping curbs at the mall

phil in trucks built up like yours you should make it in 4 hours LOL
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 04-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Hummer Professional

Cranky Steve is an unknown quantity at this point

Couple tips. Avoid wheel spin on the rocks. If your spinning, your air pressure is too high. Pretend there is a raw egg between your foot and the skinny pedal. Spinning in the dirt does not shock the drive line like it does on the rocks.

A front locker really helps when used correctly.

Switch to high quality synthetic gear oil. Redline is a good choice, and has a broad line up to cover whatever GM calls for. Synthetics will allow the diffs to run cooler, and maintain lubrication in all temps much better than regular gear oils.

As mentioned, increasing Tire diameter can warrant going to a lower gear. There are charts on the net that can help you figure which gear ratio match up correctly.

Yukon gears are Randy's house brand, which means the box may contain gears from several manufacturers. The could be Dana (OEM, good stuff), US Gear (Excellent Aftermarket), etc.

Stay away from Genuine Gear, it's junk.

Lastly, keep in mind, that once you start really offroading, you will find the week links quickly. Not many current 4x4's are really bullet proof anymore like they were in the early 80's.

So, before you start mods, think it through, "Cause and effect". In other words, when you think about changing something, consider how it plays in the overall scheme of things, and make sure the rest of the players are matched.

I can't wait for someone to go for it on an h3 and put a Solid axle in front, Springover the rear, move the low hanging rear shocks, etc. H3's are definitely the right size for all trails!

Official Hummer Forums "Rice Grinder"

http://www.rocknroll4x4.com
http://rubicontrailpatrol.org/index.php
http://www.friendsoftherubicon.com/
http://www.Pirate4x4.com Tool and Shop Talk, Vendor, & Toyota Truck and 4Runner Talk Forum Moderator
Old 04-27-2006, 01:09 PM
Hummer Veteran

PackerFever is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by CO Hummer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
Should be no noise coming from the diff when in park, nothing is moving. Was it something vibrating inside?

It literally sounded like you had a radio on that was not tuned to station - sounded exactly like radio static. No rythmic vibration sound, just static sound. Bebe said something to the tune of "all the H3s diffs sound like this". Apparently it's a known thing. ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have not noticed noise like that on mine at all. But I have not been listening for it either. I may get a chance to go off road a bit this morning on my way over to South Park so I will letyou know. I will tryiin 4hi and 4 lo. I donot have a locking differential as far as I know in my five speed.
Yellow 06 H3 5 Speed ~ Luxury Off Road, Black and Chrome trim, Sunroof, Leather, XM Monsoon, Brushguard, Rail Steps, Yakima Pro 16, Mud Flaps, Hard Spare Tire Cover, pwdr coat fuel door.... .Riding like a Spirit on the Wind.
Old 04-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks cranky , bebe should be home anytime now
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 04-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by PARAGON:
...But there might be a relationship to the two trucks through the front ring/pinions because their build dates are fairly close together...

I agree completely especially since there are now three since HI's has to be replaced. I would really like to see some investigation into this since the three vehicles that I know of with this problem were all purchase right at the same time. Of course any one of them could have been sitting on the lot for a while but I really think this needs to be looked into. Based on VIN numbers I would think it would be fairly easy to check the lot numbers for the gears in each truck. If the lot numbers are all different then that probably counts out a hardening issue but if they are all the same it would narrow down the possible problems in my book.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 04-27-2006, 01:33 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally posted by HummerNewbie:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
...But there might be a relationship to the two trucks through the front ring/pinions because their build dates are fairly close together...

I agree completely especially since there are now three since HI's has to be replaced. I would really like to see some investigation into this since the three vehicles that I know of with this problem were all purchase right at the same time. Of course any one of them could have been sitting on the lot for a while but I really think this needs to be looked into. Based on VIN numbers I would think it would be fairly easy to check the lot numbers for the gears in each truck. If the lot numbers are all different then that probably counts out a hardening issue but if they are all the same it would narrow down the possible problems in my book. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I promise, it's being investigated.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

Cranky Steve:

I'm agree with you.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

ketcat is off the scale

PARAGON:

"The H2 did not bend 3 tie rods on Golden Stairs. It was on the entire trip that day, that at best is a 9 hour trail day of hard wheeling. Golden Stairs is just one short obstacle where the 2 H3s spun the ring gears.

Huge difference."
Old 04-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Banned

Chinkierol30 is off the scale

I’ve been off-line for a while (moved to a new house without cable) so I do not know if this has been suggested yet.

Would it be possible to strip a broken front differential down, find the broken teeth and use JB Weld to glue them back on again? I know this probably would be a bad idea for a permanent fix but it might get you off the trail?
Old 04-27-2006, 05:22 PM
Banned

Chinkierol30 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilD:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chinkierol30:
find the broken teeth and use JB Weld to glue them back on again?
This is special, just like your idea of super gluing lug nuts on.

For future reference, fixing vehicles is more of a mechanical thing, and less of an arts & crafts thing </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So you don't think it will work?

According to their advertising it’s an alternative to welding!!

“Our flagship product, J-B WELD is the world's finest cold-weld compound. It's a remarkably easy, convenient, and inexpensive alternative to welding, soldering, and brazing. J-B WELD is the smart way to repair something ...”

Or are you saying you can’t use a regular welder to re-attach the teeth either?
Old 04-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Hummer Expert

evldave is off the scale

chances are if you have access to a welder in the field, you've also got access to someone that can pull half-shafts & DS and you can just drive out in 2WD.

I think you'd have just as much luck with bubble gum vs JB weld on ring gears...
Old 04-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Chinkierol30:
According to their advertising it’s an alternative to welding!!

“Our flagship product, J-B WELD is the world's finest cold-weld compound. It's a remarkably easy, convenient, and inexpensive alternative to welding, soldering, and brazing. J-B WELD is the smart way to repair something ...”

Or are you saying you can’t use a regular welder to re-attach the teeth either?

OMG, no winky?!?!?! You can't be serious. Have you ever tried to glue anything that broke (that excludes glues carpentry and rubber patches where vulcanization happening)...it never works. If there's enough force to break a [suposedly] homogenous material, then glue's not going to hold it.