H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 10-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ATTN: H3 Brand Quality Manager

An open letter to the H3 Brand Quality Manager.

Dear Sir,

I am formally making a request that all H3 front differentials, be changed from the Cast Aluminum Housing, to the Cast Iron Housing.

Why, for a $90 difference, would you continue to ignore and brush aside an issue that puts your most loyal and dedicated users of your off-road product at such incredible risk of harm?

Twice now, in two years, I have been stranded in very remote areas, due to my Front Differential failure or others. We don?t leave our people behind on a trail. We will go to great lengths to make sure all are off the trail safely. It is and inconvenience to us and the other off-roaders we ride with.

I know of many others who have experienced the same problem all across this Country.

Is that a risk we take? Yes. Do we fully understand that risk? Yes.

However:

H2?s don?t have this issue.
H1?s don?t have this issue.

The known weaknesses in both the above-mentioned Hummer vehicles allow for a trail repair. You can carry a spare tie-rod for the H2; you can carry spare tie-rods and half shafts for the H1.

You cannot carry a spare Front Differential on the trail for the H3.

Leaving this component as is, for those of us that off-road regularly is becoming an increased liability for Hummer. When it breaks out on the trail, or on the road for that matter, the vehicle is COMPLETELY disabled.

There is no temporary repair, no way to disable the full-time 4-wheel drive, so that the vehicle can be driven in two wheel drive off the trail.

It may not be the highest complaint on your warranty reports, but it is certainly one of the more dangerous.

My friends and I have been caught in snowstorms, high deserts in the heat etc, having to strap and winch, for the better part of a full day, to get one or more COMPLETELY disabled H3?s off the trail. I wouldn?t shrug your shoulders at my request until you have done this yourself.

You and I both know, that it does not take abuse to destroy the ring and pinion gear, or crack the housing. It can be done quite easily. To the point, the claim of being able to scale 16? vertical wall should be removed, that is a recipe for disaster, especially if you try it one wheel at a time.

Quotes from your AD copy:

?It delivers all of H3?s renowned off-road capability?, ?real-world testing on off-road trails in Moab, Utah, the Rubicon Trail and other challenging off-road venues?,? The H3 lineup also delivers exceptional rock crawling and climbing performance?, and

?A HUMMER by any measure?

Source; http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-2008-Hummer-H3-Alpha.htm

I respectfully disagree; this HUMMER falls a bit short in reliability compared to it?s predecessors. And, because we have to be very careful about the front differential, we require far more strapping and winching up obstacles than that of our predecessors.

This is an easily solved, quickly remedied problem. I am confident that I and my other Hummer off-road enthusiasts would greatly appreciate this small action from your department.

I am going to further request that your replace all of the current H3 off-road enthusiasts housings immediately. I for one do not want to wait for it to break again, leaving me stranded on yet another trail, causing my friends and I more inconvenience, and potential danger.

If this is something you decide to act upon, I can guarantee you this growing group of H3 off-roaders will be completely satisfied, and once again, enthusiastic about off-roading.

Respectfully yours,

Jacquelyne Theisen
AKA HummBebe

Last edited by HummBebe : 10-10-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Hummer Expert

deserth3 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ATTN: H3 Brand Quality Manager

Nice letter Humbebe. Hope it does some good
Old 10-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

Good point. Hope its well taken...
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:39 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Dear Jacquelyne,

Thank you for your concern. I have 3 things to say to you;

1. You get what you pay for.
2. It's 90% driver, 10% rig.
3. Get a real Hummer. An H2.

Yours Truly,

H3 Brand Quality Manager

My Video Collectionez

Old 10-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Hummer Professional

Dave92270 is on a distinguished road

well written letter - seems like it is a serious issue and it scares me off since I go out on the trail alone.. lets hope GM will address this. how many of you guys/gals around had the front diff problem already?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Hummer Guru

This not meant to be taken out of context, but it fits perfectly here, I hope you don't mind Rocks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2 Rocks
Usually I don't say too much about these issues, but as far as Hummer goes, they either want these vehicles to be capable at offroading, or they don't.

If they want to pander to Hollywood street queens, fine. Just don't market any offroading capability.

If they want it to go anywhere besides the dang grocery store, they need to pony up and fix these trucks so people aren't breaking things out in the middle of nowhere.

They already sell Escalades and Yukons for people that don't do this type of wheeling.

Shouldn't the Hummer stand up to the name and the image?

Wasn't the H3 the answer to peoples concerns about an affordable, narrower, off road vehicle? I'm beginning to wonder...
Old 10-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Hummer Guru

Let's not forget to mention how many we've broken:

BB=2
Old 10-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't mind. In fact, I hope GM is reading. This is a Hummer Board, and this is where their consumers meet and discuss issues involving HUMMER. This is one topic they can no longer ignore. I look forward to hearing their response...
Old 10-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the issue of the the diff breaking should have been addressed ealier in production. Hell, I had mine replaced along with the transmission and it had only seen a couple of moderate trails and one 1200 mile road trip.

Also something for the HUMMER reps to keep in mind is that HUMMER owners will add and upgrade parts!

The addition of 35's, a "ton" of accessories, recovery gear, tools, passengers, and a poop bag is just too much for these H3's apparently.

I understand the extra stresses of adding the weight and larger tires!!!! I do. I have added this to H3 and had issues. SO have a few others that I have talked with. I have added larger tires and wieght to SEVEN H2's and only had one tierod issue.

I hope beebs upgrades to an H2 now! She's had wayyyyy too many issues on the trail with that front diff.....along with many others.

Out of curiosity, how many have blown a diff on their H3? DId you have the stock tires or larger? Maybe a list would help those looking in on our forum. Other than the dealers, wher else can they get "constructive" feeback from many owners at one time?

..poor beebs.

+1 to those that helped with the recovery!!! It's great to see other group help out in a time of need.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Hummer Guru

ROX is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgco
I
The addition of 35's, a "ton" of accessories, recovery gear, tools, passengers, and a poop bag is just too much for these H3's apparently.
too funnie!!
Old 10-11-2007, 12:33 AM
Hummer Guru

Thank you Tim, but just to clarify a couple of things:

I personally have been strapped for several hours off a trail ONCE…Golden Spike- April 2006. (8 teeth off the ring gear, chipped pinion gear)

I have broken the diff case shortly after in September of ’06, but my vehicle was drivable. (It broke because of the “carrier” bracket bushing wearing, which allowed the prop shaft to slam into the back of the diff when I put it into gear thus cracking the case and chipping the pinion gear, again.)

Many hypothesized that it was because of the 35’s….it wasn’t. Folks with 33’s were doing it too.

How many H2’s with 37’s pop front diffs? None. It’s just not a viable analogy in this case.
If it was due to 35’s, for as many diffs that have been changed out, GM/HUMMER would have said….those with 35’s do not get repaired under warranty. They haven’t done that, because they know, it’s the aluminum case, not the tires.

The Engineers run 35’s on their trucks, Rod Hall runs 35’s on his personal H3.

It’s a non-issue here. It is simply cause by too much torque and an Aluminum housing.

Aside from this trip, EVERYTHING I have broken was prior to adding the off road gear, winch, poopbag included, to my H3. I have made many modifications to support the weight added. HD Torsion bars, very nice shocks, leaf springs, etc...

I still made it off the trail with a broken locker, t-case and winch. I drove all the way home and then to the dealership.

I just don’t want to have to wait to wait for it to break again, get strapped of a trail again, and then have to partially pay for an upgrade THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

dammit.

Last edited by HummBebe : 10-11-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:43 AM
Hummer Authority

H3slate is on a distinguished road

Well said HummBebe! Just like they decided to put the 3.7 in all H3's, they need to man up and put the cat iron diff. in all H3's.

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron

Old 10-11-2007, 12:47 AM
Hummer Veteran

kma is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
In my experience, GM has totally backed the HUMMER product. And made a damm fine product too.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

GreenH3 is off the scale

I have also lost a front diff. Only moderate off-roading and still on original Bridgestone Dueler A/T 33"s. 2006 Green H3, 52K miles. Hummer needs to step forward and do the right thing.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:56 AM
Hummer Veteran

LesC. is on a distinguished road

Dear H3 Brand Quality Manager,
Thanks for the cast iron front differential you chose for my H3 alpha.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:32 AM
Hummer Veteran

subunix is on a distinguished road

also I think Youre right that they need to change them for all H3's not just the alpha. I know exactly why they havent..... $90 for every H3 is something they wouldnt even consider looking at. We eliminate rosebuds to save $.05 it doesnt make sense but it doesnt make a business case either... trust me ive been trying to talk them into it and its not happening right now... just my 2 cents
Old 10-11-2007, 04:10 AM
Hummer Guru

3Hummer is on a distinguished road

may be 90 bucks on each H3, but considering the amount of money the loose repairing them from warrenty who knows if it equals out or surpasses that amount. Anyway i cant wait to see the response. And i totally agree that this is where most Hummer users that use their rigs dsicuss and if this is an issue amongts us offroaders then they should really take a look at that.

2003 H1 HMCS: Ocean Blue Metallic, Grey Leather Interior

2010 H3 Alpha: Canyon Metallic, Cashmere Interior

2017 VW Jetta S

2012 Cessna 182T Skylane

used to have: 2007 base H3 Slate Blue

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)
Old 10-11-2007, 04:11 AM
Hummer Expert

deserth3 is on a distinguished road

For all you folks that have lost a front diff have you read and followed the instructions as outline on page 7-2 and 7-3 of you owners manual?
Next time I'm in the dealership I plan on talking to the service manager with my own concerns about the differential. Though I haven't broken the front yet it sounds like a very real possibility. Jerry Seiner so far has been excellent with my needs and concerns.
The BBB Auto Line also has a web site; http://www.dr.bbb.org/autoline/index.asp

Here is another posibility; http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Last edited by deserth3 : 10-11-2007 at 04:21 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:01 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Hummer
may be 90 bucks on each H3, but considering the amount of money the loose repairing them from warrenty who knows if it equals out or surpasses that amount.

And that's exactly the point. At what point do we as consumers, beyond that, enthusiasts, get considered for the amount and level of inconvenience and DANGER of being stranded far from help, food water, shelter, etc????

Been there, done that X2. Not willing to do it again.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

FutureBeachBum is on a distinguished road

has anyone had their original front diff switched out to the cast iron version?

If so, was it done at a dealer?, how much?

www.cafepress.com/shirtspot funniest shirts on the net!