H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 09-02-2006, 06:25 AM
Hummer Professional

31_bandits is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lower Gas Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD
There is no need to put premium in your H2, unless you are running some mods that require it...

My impression is that mileage is slightly better, and the engine slightly smoother on premium. tank to tank varies too much to really make that statement concretely, but it is the impression that i get.

as low as $2.50 for regular today
Old 09-02-2006, 07:25 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31_bandits
My impression is that mileage is slightly better, and the engine slightly smoother on premium. tank to tank varies too much to really make that statement concretely, but it is the impression that i get.

as low as $2.50 for regular today
I can see we're quickly going down this road again.

Where's that link........
Old 09-02-2006, 09:24 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBob is an unknown quantity at this point

93.9 cents/Litre today. Haven't seen it this cheap in A LONG TIME
Old 09-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBob is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenP
I can see we're quickly going down this road again. (DENNIS )

Ken, did you PISS OFF Dennis
Old 09-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Hummer Authority

mikejr is an unknown quantity at this point

you have it all wrong....higher gas prices mean less demand for gas which means more gas for us hummer owners....

2008 H2 Lux Series, Slate Blue, everything but the air suspension - sold

2006 H2 Lux Series, Uplevel Chrome, DVD's, Slate Blue, Sun Roof - sold

"If Life Gives You Limes, Make Margaritas" - Jimmy Buffett
Old 09-02-2006, 06:41 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr
you have it all wrong....higher gas prices mean less demand for gas which means more gas for us hummer owners....

about the premium -vs- regular thing. octane, and GMs recommendations, and so on and so forth are of course familiar to me. Octane isn't the only difference between premium and regular, and with a 5 to 10 cent price difference, i say go with my as-stated not-entirely-scientific impression that premium yields a little better results. It sure isn't important enough to me to make a stink or anything.

I think i saw a thread, maybe the one you guys were referring to once, i think it was this one: http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/s...hlight=premium
Old 09-02-2006, 07:19 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2 GTS is on a distinguished road

On engines with higher compression or FI engines, don't they detune/retard timing when they sense knock. Then that would mean less power on lower octane.

Speaking of "retard timing" what happened to the Hummerster
Old 09-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

Maui Nick is on a distinguished road

Quote:

about the premium -vs- regular thing. octane, and GMs recommendations, and so on and so forth are of course familiar to me. Octane isn't the only difference between premium and regular, and with a 5 to 10 cent price difference, i say go with my as-stated not-entirely-scientific impression that premium yields a little better results.

Well, the oil companies clearly you.

The "octane rating" measures a fuel's tendency to knock or ping against that of pure octane, which has a rating of 100.

"Premium," my ass. The only difference between regular unleaded and "premium" versions is that the higher-octane stuff burns slightly slower; some cars (but not many, and nothing in the Hummer line) may need that. Beyond that, there is no advantage to running "premium" gasoline. None. So why is it marketed as being better, although nobody says exactly how it's better? Because many consumers are stupid enough to believe it. "Premium" gasoline does not improve mileage, increase engine life, start quicker, increase power or anything else. It just burns infinitesmally slower.

Use regular unleaded unless 1) your owner's manual recommends a higher octane rating (in which case you really could violate your warranty by using regular unleaded) or 2) you legitimately have a case of engine knock, in which case you may wish to check in your HUmmer for service ASAP.

I hereby step down off the soapbox.
Old 09-03-2006, 01:50 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui Nick
Well, the oil companies clearly you.

The "octane rating" measures a fuel's tendency to knock or ping against that of pure octane, which has a rating of 100.

"Premium," my ass. The only difference between regular unleaded and "premium" versions is that the higher-octane stuff burns slightly slower; some cars (but not many, and nothing in the Hummer line) may need that. Beyond that, there is no advantage to running "premium" gasoline. None. So why is it marketed as being better, although nobody says exactly how it's better? Because many consumers are stupid enough to believe it. "Premium" gasoline does not improve mileage, increase engine life, start quicker, increase power or anything else. It just burns infinitesmally slower.

Use regular unleaded unless 1) your owner's manual recommends a higher octane rating (in which case you really could violate your warranty by using regular unleaded) or 2) you legitimately have a case of engine knock, in which case you may wish to check in your HUmmer for service ASAP.

I hereby step down off the soapbox.

how about i add 3) my impression is that the engine runs smoother and my 5 best mileage tanks have been on premium, and 2 lowest mileage on regular, with alot of mixed mileage in the space between, generally implying that mileage is better on premium. Avg to date is about 5% better, avg cost for premium is about 3-4% more.

I think, but don't know, that premium here is 100% gas, and everything else is 10% ethanol (except E85 which is obviously 85% ethanol).

Old 09-03-2006, 05:27 AM
Hummer Veteran

Right now here until Septemeber 30th, they are all RFG. So who knows.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:43 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2 GTS
Right now here until Septemeber 30th, they are all RFG. So who knows.
When they switch over be prepared for a small mess. It happened here when many stations ran out of fuel because the distributers had to empty and clean tanks.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

Maui Nick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
how about i add 3) my impression is that the engine runs smoother and my 5 best mileage tanks have been on premium, and 2 lowest mileage on regular, with alot of mixed mileage in the space between, generally implying that mileage is better on premium. Avg to date is about 5% better, avg cost for premium is about 3-4% more.

What kind of driving were you doing when you got those best and worst mileage numbers for one tank? Average it out over a couple of months and you'll be sorely disappointed in yourself for wasting that money.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Hummer Expert

drmiles is off the scale

My gas mileage goes from 10.7 to 10.5 in the city switching from premium to regular. My vehicle is SC and requires higher octane. Can't say that I see a big difference in power. However it seems to start easier on premium when cold.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:35 PM
Hummer Veteran

Has anyone else ever noticed that they alternate the positions of premium gas at the pumps?

On one pump it will be 87-89-92 then the other pump 92-89-87.

The only reason I can figure is that they know people wanting 92 will purposely select 92 but that other people who don't care might just hit the left button(left is usually lower in most things in our society) and not notice until too late that it is the more expensive gas.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Hummer Professional

you know, fellas, of all the places in the world it doesn't make sense to get called a tool of the oil companies, i think an H2 board might be at the top of the list. (forgot to add taht last night)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline

ethanol has 100,000 BTU's per gallon, gasoline 150,000. 10% ethanol in gas 145,000, or a bit more than 3% less, about in line with the price diff, and not far from my observed 5% diff in mileage. Same BTU's per dollar, seems reasonable to me.

And finally, i'm nearly sure that what gas i opt to fill my truck won't cause you guys bodily harm, and i'm so sure of that that i'm willing to accept liability unconditionally.