H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Hummer Veteran

VegasGuy is on a distinguished road
Default The ELM 327 Bluetooth ODBII Reader

Though there are a lot of threads about check engine light, code readers and "what does this code mean," I was very surprised to not find any search results for the ELM327 code reader or Torque Android software. It is super inexpensive and gets extremely positive reviews. Used in conjunction with Torque software for Android phones you can net out at less than $20 for a code reader. I have never owned a code reader but from what users say this does everything a $200 reader will do and more.

I found this review to be very informative:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w37I...eature=related

I order my ELM327 today from this source. This is for version 1.5, the newest version:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/310369090122?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1497.l2649

Here is the Torque software. Be sure to read User Reviews. There is also a free version which is what I plan to start out with:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&feature=search_result# ?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm9yZy5wcm93bC50b3JxdWUiXQ..

This combination is cheap enough anyone who owns an Android phone can keep one around for an emergency. I just bought my first Android phone (LG Optimus Q) a week ago and am having a ball with it! The uses seem almost endless.

Last edited by VegasGuy : 03-19-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:00 AM

jsbihn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The ELM 327 Bluetooth ODBII Reader

i am subbed in to see how this works since i am up for anything cheaper then spending 200 bux on it. especially when i paid about that for my peake reader for my m3 and it basically only has the one use (for that car only)
Old 03-20-2012, 07:45 AM
Hummer Expert

LoJac963 is on a distinguished road

interesting, I was really hoping when I first saw the thread it had the capability to tune also but I guess not. Still a great price to scan any trouble codes you may have.

Let us know how it works out for you, might pick up the dongle and software just to have around in case.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

Rene S. Nielsen is off the scale

Hi All

I bought the ELM327 a while back, but so far it only reads engine codes and nothing else.

No transmission, no oil pressure, no chassis - but it could be my software

Regards
Rene
Old 03-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Hummer Veteran

I plan on doing a brief review after I receive my ELM327. As far as Rene's comment, if you read the User Reviews for the Torque PRO software some people get readings for certain values and others do not. One of the posters speculated it was not a shortcoming of the ELM327 or the software, but rather if your vehicle is capable of reporting those values. Seems like a plausible conclusion.

If it is not too much work, I will provide a list of values that work on my H2 Lux and ones that do not. It should be interesting.

I should add there is also software that will work on a laptop with bluetooth. But most of the excitement seems to be directed at the Torque software.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

ryaleon is on a distinguished road

just got mine in today. works well for the price.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryaleon
just got mine in today. works well for the price.

Come on! Details!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Hummer Professional

H2R is on a distinguished road

Ordered mine, thanks Vegas!
1974 Corvette conv. (454ci)
31ft Gulf Craft Boat
Old 03-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2R
Ordered mine, thanks Vegas!
You are quite welcome.

I found another app for the Torque Pro software that scans the ELM327 and provides a report of what values are available for a particular vehicle. It should make writing a review much easier.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...earch_res ult
Old 03-23-2012, 01:52 AM
Hummer Veteran

ryaleon is on a distinguished road

Well it can definitley read and clear any trouble codes. Um real time diagnostics works with a little lag but still works. Thats all Ive done with it. Havent needed to use it on H2 yet but it works perfect on my 02 Lancer and 11 SS Camaro.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

I received my ELM327 yesterday and tested it with Torque Free to see if the ODB reader was working correctly. After pairing and verifying all was a-okay I upgraded to Torque Pro. I was able to connect via bluetooth using Torque's "Faster Bluetooth" setting.

I had intended to do a quick review but I have to delay that. There is so much to Torque to play around with that i know any attempt at reviewing the software would require future corrections from me.

Here is just one quick example why I changed my plan to do the quick review: I noticed one of the icons that surrounds the round RPM gauge on the main screen was cut off at the bottom. My first reaction was to notify the app developer. After playing around with it today I discovered you need to put your finger on one of these icons and rotate it just like you are dialing an old style rotary telephone. When you do there are several more icons for other functions that appear. The effect is very cool.

Suffice it to say I find the gauges to be very responsive with little lag. Perhaps the new 1.5 version has improved throughput. The number of gauge choices are a extensive. It is a very impressive app. To spend $14.89 for the ELM327 and $4.95 for Torque Pro and receive an ODB 2 reader that provides so many options is simply amazing.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGuy
Show me a H2 owner with low profile street tires and I will show you a guy who thinks the coolest way to shoot a Glock is cocked sideways.
Not to get off track, but...LOL!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
Not to get off track, but...LOL!
Thanks. There's a lot of truth to that sig line.

On a different note and back to the thread, I found this info in the Torque app about the H2 sensors. Click pic:
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

glennf1 is on a distinguished road

Ok I received my scanner v1.5 and D/L the torque application. It has your standard OBDII read and erase as well as reading raw data such as coolant temp, rpm, throttle position, fuel pressure, fuel trim, MAF rate, etc. I like the O2 data graphs because you can see if an O2 sensor is starting to get "'lazy". There are many O2 related problems where the sensor doesn't throw a CEL code because it's still within tolerance. I haven't tried the estimated 1/4 mile times, hp, etc yet. Mine refreshes pretty fast with no problems or crashes.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

06 SUT is on a distinguished road

I just received my ELM but getting nothing. When I plug it in, it goes thru a cycle and then stays red. Am I missing something?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 SUT
I just received my ELM but getting nothing. When I plug it in, it goes thru a cycle and then stays red. Am I missing something?

At the risk of getting flamed for asking, did you pair it? My pairing code was 1234. If it is paired then it should work provided you also downloaded the Torque software. Maybe you got a bad ELM?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Hummer Veteran

06 SUT is on a distinguished road

No flaming or anything...I finally figured it out. When I first tried, nothing would recognize it so I walked away for a bit and then tried again. Held my phone right next to it, and finally paired with 7890 code. Ran it about two minutes to check it and seems everything is working.

I initially thought it was bad.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06 SUT
No flaming or anything...I finally figured it out. When I first tried, nothing would recognize it so I walked away for a bit and then tried again. Held my phone right next to it, and finally paired with 7890 code. Ran it about two minutes to check it and seems everything is working.

I initially thought it was bad.

Glad to hear you got it resolved.