H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-09-2012, 03:29 AM
Hummer Veteran

adamw89_2000 is on a distinguished road
Default anyone have the pioneer app radio 2?

i have a samsung gallaxy 2 on the andriod network... thinking about there new app radio 2?.....how do you guys feel about it on the driod network and what excatly can this unit do...? im looking to upgrade my 6 disk radio for a touchscreen unit with navigation. id like to add back up camera as im pulling trailer 80% of the time and i want it to help me back up to them. id also like to be able to use this system and somehow connect it to my back seat headrest monitors.... is all this possible while keeping my steering wheel controls? thanks
Old 05-09-2012, 05:06 AM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: anyone have the pioneer app radio 2?

i have been thinking about getting this radio as well, but kinda ont he fence.. so..

It is still a standard radio reciever, but then you can also do pandora radio.
im not too sure about all thier apps on it tho. I have heard mixed reviews about thier GPS/driving app. i guess it is slow, and isnt really the greatest.

my biggest downside that i have read is that there is still a huge amount of imput you have to do from the phone. it isnt a simple, plug the phone in and run everything from the radio. even when switching from app to app, it is done on the phone, and not the radio. some apps cant run in the background. some apps will shut down another app when you launch it.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Hummer Veteran

06 SUT is on a distinguished road

I installed the AppRadio 2 a couple weeks ago, I am short on time right now but check the post about "Center Dash". If you have any questions I will answer them as quickly as I can.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

VegasGuy is on a distinguished road

This topic got me thinking about a radio that was based on the Android platform. In other words, a dashboard tablet running Android with wifi and bluetooth with a built in radio tuner. This way you could choose from among whatever navigation and music apps that were to your liking. You could link it to your phone via bluetooth and it would have full Internet access. Plus, you could run Torque with an ODB2 reader and get instant feedback on all of your H2's sensors. There are a ton of possibilities.

It seems that are radios like this starting to show up at trade shows, but nothing from one of the big name manufacturers that I can find with the one exception:

http://www.talkandroid.com/102620-cl...de-car-stereo/
Old 05-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGuy
This topic got me thinking about a radio that was based on the Android platform. In other words, a dashboard tablet running Android with wifi and bluetooth with a built in radio tuner. This way you could choose from among whatever navigation and music apps that were to your liking. You could link it to your phone via bluetooth and it would have full Internet access. Plus, you could run Torque with an ODB2 reader and get instant feedback on all of your H2's sensors. There are a ton of possibilities.

It seems that are radios like this starting to show up at trade shows, but nothing from one of the big name manufacturers that I can find with the one exception:

http://www.talkandroid.com/102620-cl...de-car-stereo/
Here's another: http://www.mp3car.com/blogs/tags/dvd/.

I like the concept of these units, especially the latter since you can remove the tablet from the head unit to guard against theft, but the large manufacturers just are there yet. They may not even be in a hurry to get there given that more and more vehicles are coming equipped with sophisticated nav/entertainment systems already. Couple that with the fact that some automobile manufacturers blend the nav/radio controls into the dash in a way that makes replacement a nightmare and you may see how the market for aftermarket equipment such as this could be dwindling.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Hummer Veteran

VegasGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
Here's another: http://www.mp3car.com/blogs/tags/dvd/.

I like the concept of these units, especially the latter since you can remove the tablet from the head unit to guard against theft, but the large manufacturers just are there yet. They may not even be in a hurry to get there given that more and more vehicles are coming equipped with sophisticated nav/entertainment systems already. Couple that with the fact that some automobile manufacturers blend the nav/radio controls into the dash in a way that makes replacement a nightmare and you may see how the market for aftermarket equipment such as this could be dwindling.

Thanks for the link. It is a very interesting article that delves into the possibilities of an Android based unit. I like seeing technology from different devices starting to be merged into a common platform with full integration.