H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Anyone else have torsion bar adjustment bolts adjusted so differently. My passenger side is adjusted all the way up and the driver's side is adjusted all the way out (or, if even possible, backed out)
Attached Images

Banned

Anyone else have torsion bar adjustment bolts adjusted so differently. My passenger side is adjusted all the way up and the driver's side is adjusted all the way out (or, if even possible, backed out)
Banned

Banned

Pic 2
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2004, 03:41 PM

FrgMstr is off the scale

Here are pics I just went and snapped of mine. They have never been adjusted to my knowledge.
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2004, 03:42 PM

FrgMstr is off the scale

the other
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2004, 04:10 PM
Banned

Mine have never been adjusted. I was taking off my side steps for this coming weekend and happened to notice the bolt. Some of the top threads on the bolt seem to be "cleaner" than the bottom ones so it would seem the bolt backed out, BUT those bolts are under some big pressure created by the torsion bars, so one would think backing out would be difficult.

I called and spoke to the local dealer's Hummer service guy and he wants me to bring it in since both bolts are adjusted so far apart. By the way, I put a quick measuring tape to the front end and there does not seem to be much difference in height from side to side.

My luck they will have to order a new torsion bar and I won't get to go to the Happening this weekend.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:40 PM

buddy is off the scale

If your went to the dealer a checked some other H2's, you would find they are all different. Some have the driver's side cranked up more and others may have the passenager's side cranked more. The dealer should be able to adjust the "Z" height to stock specs and do required realignment. Anytime time the torsion bars are adjusted the alignment can move out of specs.

I cranked my torsion bars up to increase front end height and get away from the raked look that most GM trucks tend to have. Since I have the standard rear suspension, no adjusting rear air bags, this worked. The ride is a little firmer, but better overall.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:44 PM
Banned

I made very quick and potentially highy inaccurate measurements by measure the top of each wheel well. Side to side is the same front and back, but the front is less than 1/4" lower than the back. Not enough difference to be noticeable and I looked for it when you posted originally about making the changes.

I guess the thing bugging me in the back of my mind is that the truck seems to sit normal right now, but the torsion bar adjustments are polar opposites. Makes me wonder about frame or other problems. Also the one bolt "looks" backed out because the threads are different but again the truck seems to sit normal. The driver's side "key" looks to be resting on the torsion bar and the bolt is not engaging it at all, so the bar isn't really loaded.

Oh well, I'll find out today or tomorrow and if they have to replace the torsion bar, maybe they can get one in before the weekend.

I can just about be positive it hasn't always been like this (had it for about 20 months). I like to crawl under and just look from time to time (all vehicles) and this was way to noticable for me to have missed it before.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:56 PM
Banned

I have the rear air suspension and the truck has been sitting still for 2 or 3 days, so the front to back measurement doesn't mean very much.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:42 PM
Banned

Well, I am currently in a Tahoe. Will see what they come up with.
Old 03-24-2004, 08:40 PM

cinci is off the scale

Paragon,

After reading some of Phil's posts I adjusted mine up approximately four turns per side to level out, front to back measured under the front to rear rocker bars, the truck. I didn't notice any difference in the handling and was expecting a stiffer ride but haven't noticed much difference. My bolts were only off about one turn from side to side.

Phil,

From reading your post it appears that you have acquired a set of 37s . Inquiring minds want to know, what flavor did you buy?
Green 97.5 H1 Wagon
Old 03-24-2004, 09:15 PM
Hummer Professional

SOFTTAILJC is off the scale

any time you move torsion bars u must have frontend aligned....did mine at tire place to level out truck for bigger tires ....3turns on one side almost 4 on the other, that put the toe out 7/32's....but the up side the truck rides better than stock .. i felt the diff right away... i'll have pics soon like i promised jason... as soon asi fig out digg camera.......soft........
Old 03-24-2004, 09:24 PM
Banned

Since my illness still plagues me I haven't and don't plan to do a tremendous amount of off-roading. I bought an extra set of wheels several months back to get a set of 37's mounted on. Now I wish I had since we decided to do the Hummer Happening here this weekend:

Hummer Happening / Red Creek Offroad Park
Old 03-24-2004, 09:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

Navigator is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
Yes, I could resist the temptation no longer and bought some SSR's.
None of the regular tire places can balance them or do an alignment, so I'm taking it in to a CGR Truck Center tomorrow. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Phil,
Let me know how the balancing goes, I normally have a good friend with a 4x4 shop do mine but hes 300 miles away and I wont get down there till May.
He has a good write up on balancing if your interested.

Mods & Pics

Old 03-24-2004, 10:21 PM

FrgMstr is off the scale

I was pretty impressed with the 37" BFG MTs, none out of the five required more than 7oz to balance.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:18 PM
Banned

Heard back from the dealer this a.m. They are going to replace the torsion bars but of course have to order them. Won't be in until next week.

Service tech said will be OK to take out this weekend on the Happening and shouldn't have any troubles. He can't find that they are affecting anything but are definitely not right with the adjustment bolts adjusted so far differently.

Also fixed the cowling around the windshield to stop the wind noise from there.