H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 08-25-2006, 06:43 AM
Hummer Professional

BABHUMV is off the scale
Default Hummer Dealer fails in my opinion

Ok, took the BAB to dealer on Monday after driving back from Moab. to check for a noise in the driveline when coasting (Sewie, Neo (a diesel tech) and I all heard the noise and determined it is something in the driveline), an oil change and finish properly installing the tie rod, I had to install on Steel Bender because it failed there. $360.00 later they say they will not cover the tie rod end. Claim the noise is a bent shield (yes they are bent, the rig has been on the Rubicon and Moab within 30 days) They refused to remove the shields and drive the vehicle to determine where the noise is really coming from. I even offered to pay the tech an hour labor to remove the shields, which by the way, I believe, have to come off anyway to change the oil.

Anyway I am going to pick it up in the morning, remove the shields myself this weekend and drive it to make sure the noise is truly in the driveline.

Long story short, who has the number to Hummer so I can bitch that they will not cover a failed part, even if it was on the trail. We all know it is a concern, why else would we be carrying spares in the back of our rigs? (Thanks Neo. Part of the $360 is my own set to carry)

Bully any chance of posting the 30 seconds of tie rod bending footage. I think Elcovaians would appreciate it. Heck they have already seen a picture of me changing it.
Name:  moab 8-06 116.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  149.1 KB
Old 08-25-2006, 07:03 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hummer Dealer fails in my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABHUMV
Bully any chance of posting the 30 seconds of tie rod bending footage. I think Elcovaians would appreciate it. Heck they have already seen a picture of me changing it.
You post it and you're banned. We're still living with the last tie rod clip from 3 years ago.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:05 AM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

That is absolute BS!!!!

I swear some of these guys you have to practically shove their noses in it to get them to acknowledge a problem. Do not settle for their BS answers. Raise hell! Escalate!!

Send Neo/Nav after them.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:34 AM
Hummer Authority

westhillsat is an unknown quantity at this point

STEP TWO:

If after contacting a member of dealership management, it appears your concern cannot be resolved by the dealership without further help, contact the HUMMER Consumer Relations Manager by calling 1-866-HUMMER6 (486-6376), Customer Assistance prompt.

BAB, hope you get some satisfaction from Hummer.

Last edited by westhillsat : 08-25-2006 at 07:36 AM.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:30 PM
Banned

lotus4s is an unknown quantity at this point

BABHUMV,

What does the driveline noise sound like and when does it do it?
Old 08-25-2006, 03:35 PM
Hummer Guru

Agriv8r is an unknown quantity at this point

who did you talk with at the dealership??? there is the service writer, the service manager and the sales manager. if none of these help you, proceed to the General manager. mention "survey" and see if it helps. if not call the above number
Old 08-25-2006, 03:43 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

tie rod failure while off-road is simply not going to be covered unless you have a "special" relationship with your dealer.

If you wheel the truck, things are going to break/bend. It's idiotic to expect GM to cover damage under those circumstances. Tie-rod failure is not the same as driveline failure.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
tie rod failure while off-road is simply not going to be covered unless you have a "special" relationship with your dealer.

If you wheel the truck, things are going to break/bend. It's idiotic to expect GM to cover damage under those circumstances. Tie-rod failure is not the same as driveline failure.

My Video Collectionez

Old 08-25-2006, 04:48 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

:i agree:
Old 08-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

X2 on the tierods! The part didn't "fail." No offence at all BAB, but the drive did. The tierods brake from abuse and overly exerting them. In other words, hammer the gas where you shouldn't and they will bend or snap. Force the steering when they are binded up, they will break. However, a front end alignment and tierod adjustment at $300ish seems a little excesive IMO. At least something farther up into the steering din't break.

For them not to take the shields off at your request...esp. with the offer to pay one hour of labor would have pi$$ed me off though.

IMO, take off your shields and UC protection and drive it. If it still makes the noise, take it back there and tell them that there "profefssional assumption" of the shileds making the noise was inacurate. We did have a bunch of noises from the bent shields/ UC protection on ours though. A 4X4, and a 2X4 works well for bending that stuff back. Use the weight of the truck to do the bending by moving the 4X4 or 2X4 onto different parts of the UC protection. The shileds area little tougher though.

I would try and work this out with your dealer before taking a drastic step and ruining the relationship. It sound like you enjoy your rig and will coninue to wheel it. If that's the case, your going to need that "special realtionship" with your dealer.

Good luck.
Old 08-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

ChasH3 is off the scale

http://estore.websitepros.com/1182800/Detail.bok?no=547
Old 08-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasH3

Wish they would come out with some for the H3

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 08-25-2006, 05:29 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:

His OP is a little confusing. The tie-rod is a separate issue. Obviously wouldn't be covered under warranty.

He also has a noise that sounds like its coming from the transfer case. Definitely not coming from the shield or skids. Obviously should be diagnosed and covered under warranty.

Old 08-25-2006, 09:25 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewie
His OP is a little confusing. The tie-rod is a separate issue. Obviously wouldn't be covered under warranty.

He also has a noise that sounds like its coming from the transfer case. Definitely not coming from the shield or skids. Obviously should be diagnosed and covered under warranty.

Definitely get those skids/ UC protection off and get it back to the dealer ASAP than!
Old 08-25-2006, 09:42 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgco
X2 on the tierods! The part didn't "fail." No offence at all BAB, but the drive did. The tierods brake from abuse and overly exerting them. In other words, hammer the gas where you shouldn't and they will bend or snap. Force the steering when they are binded up, they will break. However, a front end alignment and tierod adjustment at $300ish seems a little excesive IMO. At least something farther up into the steering din't break.

For them not to take the shields off at your request...esp. with the offer to pay one hour of labor would have pi$$ed me off though.

IMO, take off your shields and UC protection and drive it. If it still makes the noise, take it back there and tell them that there "profefssional assumption" of the shileds making the noise was inacurate. We did have a bunch of noises from the bent shields/ UC protection on ours though. A 4X4, and a 2X4 works well for bending that stuff back. Use the weight of the truck to do the bending by moving the 4X4 or 2X4 onto different parts of the UC protection. The shileds area little tougher though.

I would try and work this out with your dealer before taking a drastic step and ruining the relationship. It sound like you enjoy your rig and will coninue to wheel it. If that's the case, your going to need that "special realtionship" with your dealer.

Good luck.

Especially since they had to remove the shields to change the oil and filter.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:35 AM
Hummer Professional

BABHUMV is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop

Especially since they had to remove the shields to change the oil and filter.

Thats what I thought, How did they change the oil without removing the shields?

I do plan on removing the shields and driving it. the noise is getting worse as I drive it.

And as for the Dealership ladder, I am well aware of it. In a previous life I was a service writer for Ford and Toyota. I would have been glad to listen to the customer and charge him to remove the plates.

I guess what I am really pissed about is the fact that my biggest concern, in my opinion a warranty issue, was just looked at like they didn't care. When the noise is still there after shield removal, I plan on making an appointment with the service manager and take him for a short ride to let him listen to the noise. I also checked the records, they only drove the rig 2 miles, not long enough IMHO to search and diagnose a driveline noise.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:10 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABHUMV
When the noise is still there after shield removal, I plan on making an appointment with the service manager and take him for a short ride to let him listen to the noise. I also checked the records, they only drove the rig 2 miles, not long enough IMHO to search and diagnose a driveline noise.

agreed. Someone didn't give 2 shhiittss.
Old 08-26-2006, 03:45 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey

i have a rattling sound down under the h3 too. havent been able to figure out what it is, sounds like it is comming back from behind the midway point of the truck. I havent been offroading or anything like that , except driving on some of the worst streets in the world the last several days, south side chicago, kinda like off roading . hope theres no one here from south chicago .

anyway it sounds like there is something loose under there, and everytime i go over teh slightest unconformity in the road it rattles. Its been doing that for the last 3 days, 150 miles or so.

Gona take it to the dealer on monday and see what they say, but tomorow i will go under it and see if the ucp is nice and tight.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:07 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin8703
hey

i have a rattling sound down under the h3 too. havent been able to figure out what it is, sounds like it is comming back from behind the midway point of the truck. I havent been offroading or anything like that , except driving on some of the worst streets in the world the last several days, south side chicago, kinda like off roading . hope theres no one here from south chicago .

anyway it sounds like there is something loose under there, and everytime i go over teh slightest unconformity in the road it rattles. Its been doing that for the last 3 days, 150 miles or so.

Gona take it to the dealer on monday and see what they say, but tomorow i will go under it and see if the ucp is nice and tight.

Its the shields.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:10 AM
Hummer Expert

Mike E is off the scale

marin - if you don't get any sastisfaction from your dealer, come on down to NW Indiana and I'll connect you with the service dept. at my dealer. I have a great relationship with them and they really try hard with the Hummer owners.

Ditto on the south side! Will they ever be done with the roads!?

BAB - I would suggest driving it without the shields and see what happens. If at all possible, try and work thinks out with the service manager. If you absolutely cannot get any satisfaction with them in fixing your problem (other than the tie rod). Send me a PM and we'll discuss your situation and how to escalate it within Hummer. Thanks! Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin8703
hey