H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 11-28-2002, 03:35 AM

Tedster is off the scale

Question for you Electricians?

I want to be able to run my Daytime Running Lights at Night.

If I Run a Hot lead from my Headlights to my DRL's with a oneway diode, would I be able to run my DRL's with my headlight?

Would this allow my DRL's to function normally and work with the remote when I lock/unlock with keyless entry?

Thanks,

Ted

03 Yellow H2,Adventure Package,Luxury Package,Sunroof, Wrap-around Grill Guard w/Lts.,Tailight Guards,Roof Lights,Tubular Sidesteps,SMA Tire Rack,Carbon Fiber Dash, Custom Exhaust
Old 01-24-2003, 12:48 PM

JCJ is off the scale

How about these "Angel Eyes" in place of DRLs?
Possible?
http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/opaney.html
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2003, 10:38 AM

rpv is off the scale

I am an electrical rookie as well...

I love the look of the DRL's on at night...

Would you be so kind as to jot down what things I need to get to do this to my H2 and the specific steps to take...in very laymans terms...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Electrical Dummie from AR...

RPV
Old 12-05-2002, 06:29 PM

NSXTC is off the scale

Can't use a diode unless you can find one that'll handle the amount of current that the headlights draw. I don't have the fuse chart handy, but I think the headlights have a 20A fuse? I don't think there's a 20A diode. You'll have to go with the relay/toggle switch approach.

I'm going to try to do mine in the next couple of weeks. I'm doing research on the switch to see if I can order the OEM style that they use for the roof lights.

03 Metallic Red H2
02 Ducati 998R
H2SUT.com
----------
Red metallic, Lux package, Poron backup sensors, throttle body by-pass, Independent dual DVDs, Volant air box, DRL mod, chrome hood handles and latch.
Old 01-19-2003, 03:16 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

posted January 07, 2003 02:15 PM
Not every 3157 will work. There are many types of 3157, with totally different bases. The 3157 used in Hummer has snap in base with 2 metal contacts on each side, some 3157 has only 1 wire each side, some 3157 has larger bulb as ours but some has tiny bulbs. I have switched to new 3157 "Super White" bulbs I found at Kragen Auto, these are the $7 cheap bulbs, light became white (vs. yellow) with a slight blue tint, the result is excellent.

In the topic: NEW BULBS. all 3 types of bulbs on the front were replaced and reported(with photo). http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=702606930 2

You can also easily do a search on eBay with 9007(head), 3157(DRL) or H3(fog). Some eBay sellers of bulbs are not professional and do not back up quality as promised, but the search result is very educational to understand the bulbs and prices. I saw 9007 head lamp Super white bulbs by GE at Wal-Mart for $19 a pair.
Old 11-28-2002, 03:35 AM

Tedster is off the scale

Question for you Electricians?

I want to be able to run my Daytime Running Lights at Night.

If I Run a Hot lead from my Headlights to my DRL's with a oneway diode, would I be able to run my DRL's with my headlight?

Would this allow my DRL's to function normally and work with the remote when I lock/unlock with keyless entry?

Thanks,

Ted

03 Yellow H2,Adventure Package,Luxury Package,Sunroof, Wrap-around Grill Guard w/Lts.,Tailight Guards,Roof Lights,Tubular Sidesteps,SMA Tire Rack,Carbon Fiber Dash, Custom Exhaust
Old 12-06-2002, 11:33 PM

buddy is off the scale

I've been wanting to run the DRL's with the head lights or parking lights, or at least have that option.

I figured I'd splice into the parking lights, run that wire thru a switch, then to a common relay.
From the relay to each DRL. Of course that's after the relay is wired and grounded

This way when the switch is off the DRL's operate as normal. When the switch and parking lights are on, so are the DRL's.

With just the DLR's operating as normal, there shouldn't be any current feeding back to the parking lights.

What you think?

Buddy
Old 12-07-2002, 09:36 AM

JCJ is off the scale

Hey, you guys make it sound so easy! But where/how do you pass the wiring through firewall/dash to the switch? Speaking of, let us know when you find the OEM looking one. I'll be looking 2.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:58 AM

rpv is off the scale

I replaced the orig 4157/3157 DRL's and the same drivers side blew...I finally pulled the connecting wire allowing the DRL to run along with the parking lights and headlights at night and bought another pair of super blue, this time taking care to use gloves....so far so good...after one week, if things are ok...I'll reattatch the 12 gauge wire and allow the DRLs to go on at night...hopefully they last and if not, anybody else experience this prob after placing the connecting wire???...maybe the gauge of my wire is too thick???

RPV
Old 01-19-2003, 04:27 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

There's tons of discussions and posts and pictures on HID in the TECH sections, you have to do your homework to read through them. All your answers are in those posts.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:21 AM
Hummer Veteran

JohnnyBoy is off the scale

Has anyone installed any of the lights that produce a purpleish tint, like the ones on late model BMW's?

==================================
03 Hummer H2 Adv./Lux. Pkgs. Sunset Orange W/Sunroof
Air Spring Susp. Pkg. + 3rd. row seat
http://www.haugens.com
CompuStar Auto Security/Remote Starter.
Old 12-07-2002, 03:43 AM

NSXTC is off the scale

Hey Buddy,

That's the right way to do it. I'm still trying to find the part # for the switch that looks like the TC2 and Tow switch. That way, the switch looks OEM and would be mounted in that blank spot below the tow switch.

==================
03 Metallic Red H2
02 Ducati 998R
H2SUT.com
----------
Red metallic, Lux package, Poron backup sensors, throttle body by-pass, Independent dual DVDs, Volant air box, DRL mod, chrome hood handles and latch.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:46 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

H3 bulb is for the fog lamp or off-road lamp, I'm getting lazy with long word "off-road lamp", in bulb sellers' term, they are generally called "fog lamp", never "off-road" lamp.
9007 is for head lamp, and DRL uses 3157.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:07 AM

rpv is off the scale

thanks, will try again...this time with gloves before i even open the package...
later...
RPV
Old 01-20-2003, 03:11 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

rpv, Same thing happened to my first pair of blue super white 3157 bulbs after 1-2 days. I exchanged a new pair. 2nd time I was extra careful not to put my fingers on the bulb, clean the bulb first, then use rubber gloves when touching the bulbs. The new pair works fine for 1-2 weeks now. Xenon gas bulbs have much higher temp., any oil you left on the bulb, including the minor stuff you cannot see will burn the bulbs very fast.

Stock DRL comes with 4157 which is same as 3157 but more durable, not easy to find, did not looked to be any brighter than regular 3157. My new super white 3157 are great, if they burn out in 6 months, I'll just get new ones, cheap $7 a pair bulbs don't bother me much. For sure I'm not going back to old yellow lights.

[This message was edited by MAC on January 20, 2003 at 09:27 AM.]
Old 12-08-2002, 02:50 AM

Afreet is off the scale

Ok I am a little confused, the dealer told me that the daytime running lights are still on at night, but like the DRL, only when the vehicle is in drive or reverse. Is this not really the case?
Old 01-15-2003, 04:25 PM

NSXTC is off the scale

Click on this link. Takes about 5 min to do...

http://www.elcova.com/groupee/forums?a=tpc&s=2826088551&f=6706011751&m=687600449 1

Regards,
David
----------
H2SUT.com
----------
H2SUT.com
----------
Old 01-24-2003, 02:48 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Just a personal preference that I do not want to alter the Hummer factory look much, while many others go out to change the look as much as they can. The Hummer fog lamps look just right with the Hummer logo lamp guards. The new fog lamp H3 bulbs now deliver very bright cold blue light, even brighter than head lamp which has DOT Xenon 9007 bulbs, next step is to go to not street legal 100W head lamp Xenon gas bulbs.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:15 AM

rpv is off the scale

I also changed my bulbs to super cool blue for 19.99/pair and adjusted the beam lower... just as bright but less glare and I like the whitish/blue look!!!
I will do the same for the DRL...is that part # 3157???
Hope to hook up my dig camera soon and post pics.
Old 12-08-2002, 12:44 PM

buddy is off the scale

When gets dark the automatic headlamp system will switch from DRL's to the headlights...or if you manually turn the headlights on the DRL's defaults to off.
[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Buddy