H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 06-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Hummer Professional

Scouts Out is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Questions from a potential buyer..

I have no trouble and consistantly turn over 2000 miles a month on my H3. My biggest complaint remains the seat kill my back. Last trip I had company and I deliberately asked them and they loved the seats. I guess I am just broken

Superior Blue, Adventure Package, Roof mounted off road lights, Auto, 6 Disk Monsoon with XM, Brush Guard, Tire Cover, Husky mud flaps, flat steps, black fuel door.

Other Cars.....

1980 Triumph TR8 3.5 litre V8
Old 06-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

thedieter is off the scale

I wonder why a manual trany for the use you described.

The auto runs at 2500-2700 RPM at 70-75 MPH which is near the sweet spot on the torque curve.

On a manual trany, cruise control would just lug down from 80 MPH to a lower speed and drop out, wouldn't it? Auto tranys do rev up excessively when they downshift (trying to get back to 80 MPH) and that is why CC should not be used in mountains.

Space is at a premium on the H3 as it is 11" shorter than the Taurus that we had before.

Best regards, Happy Jack
Old 06-29-2006, 01:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

BEST 4x4xFAR is off the scale

Well, I want to start off by saying thank you for everyone’s responses. I can’t remember who said what, but wanted to ask some additional questions about responses. I’ll start with the manual transmission. Apparently an Aisin AR5 (I see through further research that GM also calls it an MA5 and uses it in the Solstice, Sky, Colorado (suprise, lol) etc.), with an input torque rating of 225 lb/ft. GM didn’t exactly over engineer this, given the engine’s 225 lb/ft of stock output. Makes me wonder what changes were made for ’07, since the ’07 engine now exceeds this input specification, and would make me worry about the idea of forced induction as well. Oh, and we want a manual transmission because both my wife and I hate driving automatics.

I’d like some additional input on the center differential if anyone has any more information. I saw some exploded views of the t-case (I assume it is a New Venture, anyone have the model number?) in another thread, and those with the poster’s explanation didn’t lead me to believe it was a limited slip differential of any kind. If someone could confirm or deny and share what type of differential it is, that would be helpful.

On the Car seat, a couple have noted that car seats fit, but they seam to be forward facing. I refuse to turn our daughter around until she reaches the Britax Boulevard’s weight limit (33 lbs), and the Boulevard is even larger than the Marathon, so I am still concerned about it fitting. On that note, can anyone confirm how many LATCH anchors there are in the back seat, and in what positions? The Seat will most likely fit in the center, and it is my preferred location anyway, if LATCH anchors are provided for the center (Many cars only provide them for the outboard positions it seems). Can anyone confirm with a large car seat in the center if passengers (not necessarily other car seats) can still use the outboard seating positions?

I am trying really hard to reserve judgment until I can spend some time with it, and drive it, but I have to tell you, I’m more than a bit disappointed to find out that the cargo area dimensions, square footage and capacity numbers I had previously found are correct. Seems hard to phantom that my wife’s Subaru Outback has more cargo capacity, a longer cargo area, and identical width cargo area and can carry all but 25 lbs of what an H3 is rated to. Kind of kills the “tough, heavy duty truck” image Hummer portrays, and it is making it harder to justify to my wife…
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"
http://www.putfile.com/lrnad90

Last edited by BEST 4x4xFAR : 06-29-2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

just get her a FJ
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 06-29-2006, 02:06 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOCON1
just get her a FJ

???? Honestly, if it were four door, we'd be considering it as well, but it apparently has even less cargo space, only has rear "access" doors and while we both like the styling, we like the H3 styling better. But I do like the more powerful engine, better history of build quality and reliability, and that the transfer case actually has a shifter, not buttons that electronically shift the t-case...
Old 06-29-2006, 02:21 PM
Hummer Guru

Ipedog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
On the Car seat, a couple have noted that car seats fit, but they seam to be forward facing. I refuse to turn our daughter around until she reaches the Britax Boulevard?s weight limit (33 lbs),

How old is your daughter? My son is nearing 3yo and is not 33lbs yet. I know for a FACT that if he were still facing rearwards at this point vehicle rides would be very, very unhappy events. I understand being a cautious parent but before you go nuts on this check with your Pediatrician. I have a feeling that he/she will proably say its okay for your daughter to be facing forward at the one year point.

Also remember that you are going to have this vehicle far longer than you are going to have that car seat, and that Britax makes a variety of seats. I've got a Britax in my H3 (although I can't remember the model, its a Marathon, I think) and it fits fine. I got the H3 after my son was turned to face forwards so I can't comment for sure on the rear facing fit, but I have a feeling that it would have.

At the worst take some car seats with you to the dealership. Stop at Babies R Us before you go and get one of every style and then return the ones that don't work. If the dealer doesn't like it just tell him that they just lost the sale. I have a feeling that all will be good.

Good luck in your decision.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:23 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEST 4x4xFAR
...we like the H3 styling better.

So you have taste

Quote:
...better history of build quality and reliability, and that the transfer case actually has a shifter, not buttons that electronically shift the t-case...

The FJ has not be out long enough to know what the build quality and reliability is. Now if you are just basing that on Toyota's history, that makes a difference but GM's worst rated vehicle for quality/reliability is built by Toyota. I also don't understand why the shifter is such a big deal to people. To each their own, but not being a long time wheeler I am just wondering why. Is it because that is what you are used to or is it more not wanting to rely on something electronic?

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 06-29-2006, 03:15 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerHippy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
???? Honestly, if it were four door, we'd be considering it as well, but it apparently has even less cargo space, only has rear "access" doors and while we both like the styling, we like the H3 styling better. But I do like the more powerful engine, better history of build quality and reliability, and that the transfer case actually has a shifter, not buttons that electronically shift the t-case...

I need a vehicle that can carry some specific sized cargo (cases). H3 has longer distance from inside rear door to back of front seats (I tested with an approx 63in long case), than FJ. FJ's rear seat bottom, which flips up, gets in the way. Although you are supposed to be able to remove them.
I also have a case that is about 33" x 36". With back seats folded down, it fits in the back of the H3 w/o really touching the rear seats. FJ: about 1 inch shorter so the case sits on the very end of the rear seat in the FJ, and is not supported by the floor at that end. I do see that FJ has more cubic feet for cargo room, but for my particular needs, H3 is "bigger". Perhaps FJ wins in cargo area height?

Gone: 2006 Red H3, Aventure Pkg, 5 Speed, Monsoon, Brush Guard, Rubber Foor mats, Trailer package, Chrome Fuel door, Engine Block Heater.

"You?re making the choices about whether you want to drive a little extra more or not drive extra more."
29-Jul-2008
Old 06-29-2006, 03:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipedog
How old is your daughter? My son is nearing 3yo and is not 33lbs yet. I know for a FACT that if he were still facing rearwards at this point vehicle rides would be very, very unhappy events. I understand being a cautious parent but before you go nuts on this check with your Pediatrician. I have a feeling that he/she will proably say its okay for your daughter to be facing forward at the one year point.

Hello Rob,

I appreciate your input. While there are many different styles of car seats, I don?t necessarily prescribe to the thinking that they are all as good as the other since they have to meet certain government standards (just like all cars aren?t as safe, even though to be sold they have to meet standardized criteria). As a result, I don?t want to be forced into a compromise on my choice of seats by the vehicle we buy. I suspect that it will work rear facing in the center of the H3 as it does in center of the Outback (won?t fit rear facing outboard without making the front seat unusable).

And you are correct, that the guidelines set forth by the American Academy of Pediatric Doctors (AAP) say you can turn a child forward facing once they are BOTH one year old and 20 lbs or over in weight. However, the AAP goes on to say ?If a car safety seat accommodates children rear facing to higher weights, for optimal protection, the child should remain rear facing until reaching the maximum weight for the car safety seat, as long as the top of the head is below the top of the seat back.? (http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...cs%3b109/3/550)

My wife says I research everything to death, so I wasn?t going to leave our daughter?s safety out. After extensive research I am convinced that she is much safer rearward facing (adults would be as well, by the way), hence the statement. We have already taken comments from other parents about having her rear facing, and I am sure it would be difficult to impossible to get a child that is accustomed to riding forward facing to go back, but our daughter doesn?t know any different, and is quite content at 15 months. My wife was actually giving me a hard time about not wanting to turn our daughter around, until she viewed these videos, now she explains why rear facing is safer tot hose who ask why we haven?t turned our daughter around.

Here are a couple of links to check out if you want to do some more research, and a couple of video links that really open people?s eyes up to how much more violent a crash is for a forward facing child in comparison to a rear facing child. Remember, even at one year, children?s bone and muscle structure is still very much under development. Here are those links?

Forward Facing Crash Test Video:

This actually has a forward facing seat in the front, and a rear facing in the background if you look..

http://www.oeamtc.at/netautor/html_s...cosipriori.mpg

Rear Facing Crash Test Video:

http://www.britax.fi/quicktime/TWside240.AVI

More Rear Facing Info:

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx (first photo is a rear facing, 3 year old boy)

Read through this page, and there are multiple links to follow from there as well.

Sorry, I?ll get down from my soap box now, but information is important for everyone to have. If you still want to turn your children around at one year/20 lbs, I respect that as your decision for your child. Myself, I won't turn her around till she reaches the rear facing maximum weight or height.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:54 PM
Banned

HIHUMMER is an unknown quantity at this point

Just my 2cents on the carseat bit..I have a Graco Omega...my son is 13 months but only 18lbs...right now...he is still rear facing. It works out okay as long as the passenger isn't to picky about being moved up a little closer and a little more straight backed.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Hummer Guru

Ipedog is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you sure you're not looking for one of these?:

http://www.alpineco.com/armored/Hummer/H2.html

Old 06-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

My biggest gripe with the H3 is that the back seat doesn't fold flat! Besides that it is great

It is pretty hard to make a 4 door SUV that is off road capable, gets good gas mpg, and small enough to still keep up with 2 door Jeeps etc. The H3 is a great package.

I you need a 3rd row seat or mores buy a bigger SUV like a Suburban, Tahoe, Land Crusier or if you like Rovers go with the LR3 or Defender 110.

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 06-29-2006, 08:56 PM
Hummer Veteran

thedieter is off the scale

I just want to point out that the auto has a much higher towing capacity which implies, to me, that the auto is stronger.

With regards to rear facing child seats, they seem better if you crash into something (somewhat under your control) but are they also better if you get rear-ended (out of your control)? Just curious.

Best regards, Happy Jack