H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 03-25-2004, 01:28 PM

Detonate is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
As it turns out I didn't get the alignment or wheels balanced as my idler arm is shot, so will be getting everything done after I've had the idler arm replaced <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Same thing happened when I went to get my alignment done.

I got mine done under warranty, and when it was done, the tech told me I need to start brining my truck to them for the Oil Changes if I wanted this to be covered under warranty from now on.

Reason being, is that the Idler Arms, etc, are Greasable joints, and they were bone dry. Since they are under the skid place, most places like Jiffy Lube or whatever, won't mess with them.

He's positive that the fact that they hadn't been greased, and the amount of time I spend in the water is what caused their early demise.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:04 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I got a little more info on my torsion bars. They are only going to replace the passenger side bar. Apparently it was a weak bar to begin with and for the truck to sit correctly it's adjustment bolt had to be screwed all the way in. There is no explanation as to why the driver's side was screwed so far out. But the z heights are correct and it appears to be aligned. We'll see what they come up with next week when the put the new torsion bar in.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:15 AM
Banned

I agree. And the service tech's note said something to the effect of "very weak right torsion bar." Bugs me the most is that this has apparently been this way from day one and I am just now catching it. I know I have crawled under and just laid there for 30 minutes or so 4 or 5 times. Not doing anything to it, just looking. I don't know why I do it, hell, I forget half of what I saw. But this was so obvious that I can't believe I missed it before.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:09 PM

FrgMstr is off the scale

You know, Hummer QC is at best questionable. I have seen more than a few instances where things were BROKEN during install at the factory and never fixed. Now be it nothing along the lines of the magnitude of a bad torsion bar, but issues all the same. I got a survey in the mail this week from Hummer and I will certainly outline these issues.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:57 PM
Banned

Well, we had a happening today at an off road park. We haven't had rain this month so it was extremely dry when most of the year it stays extremely muddy. The dealership puts on these happenings and come to find out most of the owners that show up are somewhat timid and don't want to do very much on the trail. Also, some there today had brand new rigs and were not ready to do anything very bad.

I didn't do much either. We rode one short trail and my driver's side front suspension started banging. Not knocking, not popping...banging. I could feel it in my feet and it was coming from the driver's side and felt like the frame was being hit with a hammer. When I took the rig in earlier this week the service tech said they were replacing the passenger side because it was weak. There was another service tech there today who took off steps and was there for support. He took a look and couldn't find anything wrong or anything loose. Jacked up the front end and the driver's torsion bar was still loaded. He took it for a spin and luckily had the bang happen for him.

This was early in the ride so it made me apprehensive to do much else, especially with my illness, having my wife, 3 year old daughter and 1 year German Shepherd all with me. We did get some video from the dashcam of most of the ride and of some 4wheelers in a bad hole and some Jeepers that were there. I will post that some time next week.

To top that off, after the happening was over a couple of us stayed and rode around watching the 4wheelers and Jeeps. I filmed a H1 going through a mud hole and then decided to follow hoping my front end would stay together. We went through fine but then a few minutes after that my Service Air Suspension notice comes on.

I gave up and headed home.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:09 PM

FrgMstr is off the scale

"...know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em."

I can say that I am getting better at that, in terms of the H2 anyway.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:16 PM

Detonate is off the scale

Old 03-31-2004, 10:08 PM
Banned

I took the rig back to the dealer today. They are replacing the right torsion bar and the tech came out and ask if it was still banging on the left, "yes it is, even worse."

No one has any ideas what that might be except for the left torsion bar but I could find where the bar was hitting anywhere. Getting the fuel filter changed, a service done and the air suspension looked at. Hopefully I will get it back tomorrow with some answers.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:03 PM

cinci is off the scale

Paragon,

Is the banging on the drivers side only when you go over rough bumps? I have started having a banging sound also on the drivers side almost under my feet. I only hear it when I hit very rough bumps. It sounds like something heavy hitting the frame.

My truck is going in on Friday to have the idler arms looked at. The truck pulls to the right badly on acceleration and the steering wheel is not longer centered.

I also noticed the tires toeing in badly coming up one of the rock ledges this past week end when my girl friend was driving. This appears to be the same problem that Det had.
Green 97.5 H1 Wagon
Old 03-31-2004, 11:24 PM
Banned

David,

I haven't been able to narrow it down. I can go over a bump go back and go over it again and it will do it the first time but not the second. You described exactly what I hear/feel but it doesn't do it consistently in any driving situation except for bumps. It is like if the front end gets light from coming off a bump is when it does it the most, but I can't be sure of that. The tech jacked it up this weekend at a Hummer Happening and he could find anything loose or noticably bumping.

Other than the noise/feel you don't notice it. There is no pulling, no unlevel stance, steering is the same, etc.

I'll post here as soon as I know more so you can tell you dealer what to look for.
Old 03-31-2004, 11:46 PM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PhilD:
Funny enough, I was just thinking about torsion bars, as I get my truck back tomorrow, hopefully with a new idler arm. I mentioned the lean to them and they also replaced the right hand rear coil, which had taken a set at some point.

I also got the fuel filter, air filter changed, throttle body cleaned, and some other service stuff done.

Hope they solve your banging sound out, and keep us informed. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I need to clean my throttle body also, my truck is sounding like is has a high lobed cam when idling sometimes. My Denali does the same thing and I have used "Carb Cleaner" on it after the tech at the GMC dealership told me that's all he does.
Old 04-01-2004, 12:09 AM

cinci is off the scale

Paragon,

Your description of the tire getting light after going over a bump is exactly what I am experiancing. Please keep me informed on what you find and I will be talking to my dealer on Friday morning.
Green 97.5 H1 Wagon
Old 04-02-2004, 12:15 AM
Banned

David,

I got no update on my truck today and it's still there. Hopefully I'll get it back tomorrow and will post as soon as I know what they did to fix it.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Banned

I spoke to the service rep (not service tech) and he said they were almost done but didn't think it would be done today and I am to come pick it up on Monday.

Asked about the banging sound in the left front end. The rep said that there was a bulletin on that. Klaus do you know of a bulletin for a "popping sound from the left front?"
Old 04-02-2004, 07:45 PM

cinci is off the scale

Paragon,

We have a H2 tech here that is very good and I took a long ride with him this morning to demonstrate the noise. He heard the noise but didn't offer any explanation as to what it might be. If there is a bulletin that would be helpful.

As far as the idler/pitman arm goes he says that this is normal for almost any H2 that is off roaded much. I am not sure that I like that explanation and I don't want to be replacing them every 6 months. Have you heard of any heavy duty aftermarket replacements?

I am supposed to pick up the truck tonight but they haven't called me as of yet.
Green 97.5 H1 Wagon