H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 02-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Elcova Rookie

sammy1 is on a distinguished road
Default Trouble filling H3 gas tank.

I have a 2006 H3 with 75,000 miles. The last few times I filled the gas tank, the fuel pump nozzles keeps kicking off. It seems like they build up pressure like the tank is full even though it's not. This happens at all gas stations and it takes a long time to fill the tank because I have to just let the fuel trickle in to keep the nozzle from kicking off. Has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions as to what is causing this problem?
Old 02-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerHippy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trouble filling H3 gas tank.

I bet there's some check valve or something that comes from the tank to regulate pressure while you dirve and use up gas, that may be plugged. Or theres some other place in the fill up pipe that is clogged. Something like that.

Gone: 2006 Red H3, Aventure Pkg, 5 Speed, Monsoon, Brush Guard, Rubber Foor mats, Trailer package, Chrome Fuel door, Engine Block Heater.

"You?re making the choices about whether you want to drive a little extra more or not drive extra more."
29-Jul-2008
Old 03-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Elcova Rookie

I think it's a pressure problem. As soon as you start filling the tank, it sounds like it's getting full and the nozzle kicks off, even though the tank is nearly empty. The problem started suddenly, which makes me think a pressure sensor valve or (like you said a check valve), has failed and it not releasing the pressure.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:30 AM
Hummer Veteran

cdmintmi is on a distinguished road

This might be stupid but are you using a different gas station than you used to use? We have a 95 F250 with dual tanks at work and at some stations we get this and some we dont. I think its just some pumps pump faster than others, and the fuel backs up in the tube leading to the tank. Our old F250 has like a 90 degree bend just after the fuel door and you cant go faster than half way with most pumps. If the fuel/gas gets back the handle they obviously automatically cut off. You think that could be the problem?
06 H3, Boulder Grey (somtimes/mostly just mud, color of mud varies), Leveling Kit, 35" Toyo Open Country M/T's, Westin chrome nerf bar, chrome brush guard, Chrome kit, chrome roof bars, navigation, XM,
brush gaurd lights. Want: 4" or 6" lift, rock rails to replace the steps, roof rack w/lights, want a rack above the spare on rear door, custom seat covers...should be done then but I doubt it
Old 03-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Elcova Rookie

I thought of that also. I have gone to different stations and used different brands of gas and got the same result. It does it even if you just let the gas trickle into the tank, so the problem is definitely with the H3.

Last edited by sammy1 : 03-02-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Elcova Newbie

ewilli is on a distinguished road

sorry to bring it up again, but it does not seem like an answer has been found. we have an] 2006 h3 with 67k miles. it does the exact same thing. we start to fill up the tank (no matter what station) it goes for a few gallons and shuts off. we have to remove the gas pump all the way and when we do so, it sounds like a jet taking off as the pressure escapes from the tank. we reinsert the pump and it goes for about a gallon or so and the same thing. it is so nerve racking we have not had a full tank of gas in about a month and a half because it takes so long. has anyone found a solution?
Old 05-04-2010, 02:34 AM
Hummer Veteran

Camou2 is on a distinguished road

There is a flaper valve in the fill pipe close to the top of tank to keep fuel from sloshing out. This valve can get stuck and will cause the problem you are having during filling up. You can jamb a broom stick or other appropriate tool down the filler nozzle to open it up. Don't know a permanent solution except to have the dealer replace the fill pipe and/or complete tank system.
2008 H3 Alpha
Old 05-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

pdsq99f4 is on a distinguished road

It may be your evap vent valve is glogged. Do either of you live on a gravel road by any chance? That gravel dust will clog a vent valve after time.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:01 AM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, there is a vent valve in the system to allow air to flow through the carbon canister when the engine vacuum is sucking the vapors. If this valve is stuck close and the EVAP solenoid opens to allow vacuum to suck vapors from the tank, the tank will eventually start to crush in on itself.

However, the system will run a self-test to verify that the vent valve is working ok.

I would check the canister itself to see if it is plugged, or it might be the anti-siphon valve at the end of the fuel fill neck where it enters the tank. (Anti-siphon valve is used to prevent people from siphoning fuel out of the tank.)
Old 05-31-2010, 06:33 AM
Elcova Newbie

turtlesdove3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy1
I think it's a pressure problem. As soon as you start filling the tank, it sounds like it's getting full and the nozzle kicks off, even though the tank is nearly empty. The problem started suddenly, which makes me think a pressure sensor valve or (like you said a check valve), has failed and it not releasing the pressure.

Rest of the comments too sounds correct but what you have in mind is exactly what's on mine too. I think the gas and air in the pump is causing a pressure which is making the nozzle kick off.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Elcova Newbie

update - not sure if anyone has found the problem. ours is currently in the shop. they do not seem to have any clue. can someone please tell me where the vent valve is physically located and where the solenoid is physically located, and finally where the canister itself is located. there is a check engine light... i believe is P0440 or P0446. anyone with any other info would surely help as we have been dealing with literally 25min fill up times....
Old 07-26-2010, 05:19 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

p0446 sets due to a blocked or resticted evap vent line which will cause a hard to fill issue due to tank pressure.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Elcova Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMTECH
p0446 sets due to a blocked or resticted evap vent line which will cause a hard to fill issue due to tank pressure.

i appreciate the help, but how do i fix it?
Old 07-28-2010, 12:12 AM
Hummer Authority

First i would check the evap line from the cannister to the vent valve, if is full of dust the cannister and vent valve both need to be replaced. Check the vent valve filter for dirt as wel.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Elcova Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMTECH
First i would check the evap line from the cannister to the vent valve, if is full of dust the cannister and vent valve both need to be replaced. Check the vent valve filter for dirt as wel.

where do i find the evap line you are talking about and the cannister?
Old 07-29-2010, 01:09 AM
Hummer Authority

under the truck just ahead of the fuel tank
Old 07-29-2010, 01:12 AM
Hummer Authority

Old 01-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Elcova Newbie

tonkintim is on a distinguished road

Has anyone found the solution yet? My 07 H3 is doing the same thing. It takes forever to fill the tank with gas.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Elcova Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkintim
Has anyone found the solution yet? My 07 H3 is doing the same thing. It takes forever to fill the tank with gas.

I was never able to correct this problem and after replacing a few parts, ended up taking it to the dealership. $455 later I could fill the tank alot better but still not like when it was new. The pump still kicks out too soon and there is a spray of gas and air that comes out of the tank for a few seconds. This happens when the tank is nearly full, but at least it's not taking me 25 minutes to fill the tank like before. It's been a total aggravation for several months now.

Last edited by sammy1 : 08-07-2011 at 06:05 PM.