H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H1

Old 10-31-2006, 10:08 PM
Hummer Professional

Boar-Ral is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Upgrading the interior

Has anyone torn apart the dash and other interior components in both the pre-2004 and post-2004 H1s to know how difficult it would be to retrofit the newer interior into an older H1? I imagine most of the underpinnings are the same, but am wondering if someone knows for certain? In addition, were there any major changes between 1999 and 2004 with the electronics that would keep the instrument cluster from working? I do not even own an H1 but I keep my eyes open for one from time to time, and such an upgrade is something I am interested in. I know that it would be expensive in dash pieces alone, and it is not something I would do right away, but I was wondering. It might be something I could do a little bit at a time.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:41 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Upgrading the interior

I hope that cost is not an issue if you actually were to perform this upgrade. The dog house alone on a 99-00ish H1 is about a grand at the dealer, and thats just the dog house. You would also need to change out the shifter, again factor at least 500.00 for that piece. See what I'm saying? Your at 1500.00 for two pieces and NOWHERE close to having an 04+ interior. The switches are not all in the same locations, and it would take a bit of work to retrofit them, not too bad though. The gauges are not the same, no idea how hard it would be to convert them. I would say to do this whole project you would be at about ten grand. Personally I would just wait til an 04 is in your price range.

-007=
Old 11-01-2006, 06:13 AM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road

To add to that, HVAC routing into the cabin is a bit different too. Entire door panels change. Headliner is different. Trim and moldings all change. And I think in the newer interiors, a lot is leather covered.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgharkness020147
I hope that cost is not an issue if you actually were to perform this upgrade. The dog house alone on a 99-00ish H1 is about a grand at the dealer, and thats just the dog house. You would also need to change out the shifter, again factor at least 500.00 for that piece. See what I'm saying? Your at 1500.00 for two pieces and NOWHERE close to having an 04+ interior. The switches are not all in the same locations, and it would take a bit of work to retrofit them, not too bad though. The gauges are not the same, no idea how hard it would be to convert them. I would say to do this whole project you would be at about ten grand. Personally I would just wait til an 04 is in your price range.
I know that it will cost a lot, but my thinking is picking up an H1 now, and enjoying it. Five years down the road, it might be a project I would undertake then. That way, I have an H1 in the meantime. It's not like the interior pre-2004 is horrible, not in the least. I just like the post-2004 interior more. So I can live with it. I was just wondering, so that down the road, if it did become feasible, that it would be at least technically possible. I appreciate your input, and that's the sort of information I was looking for.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHUMMERH2
To add to that, HVAC routing into the cabin is a bit different too. Entire door panels change. Headliner is different. Trim and moldings all change. And I think in the newer interiors, a lot is leather covered.
Do they have side window defrost, requiring the change of the door panels, or is it just so the doors close properly without taking out the new dash at the same time? I think that I would start with the pieces that can co-exist with the older ones at first, and then finish it off with the pieces that won't. Of course, this is all hypothetical. I'm still looking for a '99 H1 soft-top in Canada. I know people that have brought in H1s from the US, but their troubles with brokerage and all that terrifies me. I mean, it's done thousands of times per day, but it's new to me.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

EXH1X5 is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boar-Ral
I know that it will cost a lot, but my thinking is picking up an H1 now, and enjoying it. Five years down the road, it might be a project I would undertake then. That way, I have an H1 in the meantime. It's not like the interior pre-2004 is horrible, not in the least. I just like the post-2004 interior more. So I can live with it. I was just wondering, so that down the road, if it did become feasible, that it would be at least technically possible. I appreciate your input, and that's the sort of information I was looking for.

Ral, IF...somehow in the next 5 years you are able to pick up a complete 2004 interior (from a wreck, etc.) the conversion would be very 'feasible.' On the other hand, IF...you are thinking you could go purchase all the 2004 interior components needed to do your conversion from AMG ...5 more years down the road, then you are going to be in for a very BIG surprise!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXH1X5
Ral, IF...somehow in the next 5 years you are able to pick up a complete 2004 interior (from a wreck, etc.) the conversion would be very 'feasible.' On the other hand, IF...you are thinking you could go purchase all the 2004 interior components needed to do your conversion from AMG ...5 more years down the road, then you are going to be in for a very BIG surprise!!!
I was thinking that a wreck would probably be the best way to go about it. I know that some of the local bodyshops can search databases of wrecks for particular parts, so I would probably need to use their services, as I don't think I'll just walk into a local wrecking yard and see an H1 there.
Old 11-02-2006, 05:31 AM
Hummer Veteran

EXH1X5 is off the scale

Quote:
I was thinking that a wreck would probably be the best way to go about it. I know that some of the local bodyshops can search databases of wrecks for particular parts, so I would probably need to use their services, as I don't think I'll just walk into a local wrecking yard and see an H1 there.
Even going that route, it will likely be slim-pickings! It may surprise you how few '04 & '06 were actually built.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXH1X5
Even going that route, it will likely be slim-pickings! It may surprise you how few '04 & '06 were actually built.
About 1,500 if memory serves, altogether. I like those odds!
Old 11-02-2006, 10:06 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Do they have side window defrost, requiring the change of the door panels, or is it just so the doors close properly without taking out the new dash at the same time? I think that I would start with the pieces that can co-exist with the older ones at first, and then finish it off with the pieces that won't. Of course, this is all hypothetical. I'm still looking for a '99 H1 soft-top in Canada. I know people that have brought in H1s from the US, but their troubles with brokerage and all that terrifies me. I mean, it's done thousands of times per day, but it's new to me.

HVAC routing differences can be seen in the first set and third set. A new air vent appears on the driver's right. Door panels actually look like they'd be compatible. I'm sorry when I said they "changed", because they did, but now that you mentioned compatability, yeah, they seem like they'd be compatible, at least in the rear. You'd have to reroute the rear window controls, however.

I'm very sorry I don't have more pictures to compare. I had saved these SE photos a while ago, and the ALPHA well before that. I thought I had more ALPHA shots.

2002 SE Dash air vents:
Name:  14.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  43.6 KB

ALPHA dash air vents:
Name:  5d_4[1].jpg
Views: 683
Size:  56.9 KB

2002 SE rear door:
Name:  16.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  33.3 KB

ALPHA rear door:
Name:  89_4[1].jpg
Views: 630
Size:  53.7 KB

2002 Gauges:
Name:  13.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  49.0 KB

ALPHA Gauges:
Name:  26_42.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  54.1 KB

2002 doghouse (from above):
Name:  14.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  43.6 KB

ALPHA front doghouse:
Name:  24_4[1].jpg
Views: 582
Size:  56.0 KB

Last edited by BlueHUMMERH2 : 11-02-2006 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:20 PM
Hummer Authority

I dug up some more photos. These are from the 2004 interior, which I think is identical (minus the shifters) to the 2006.

Looks like the defroster should still clear the door...
And it appears the lower side of the doghouse in unchanged.
Again, window controls would need to be rerouted.

2002 SE passenger side:
Name:  20.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  35.8 KB

2004 passenger side:
Name:  fd_3.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  53.4 KB

Here, it appears again the lower sections of the hump are unchanged. Could easily be covered with a matching material at a shop probably.

2002 SE rear passenger side:
Name:  17.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  38.7 KB

2004 rear passenger side:
Name:  6a_12.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  55.1 KB
Old 11-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Hummer Authority

So it looks like, seeing the photos, the majority of the modifications would occur within the driver's area, the doghouse, and the passengers dash. Other areas wouldn't match, but they look like they would be compatible.

The worst bit would be rewiring the gauges around the dash, and the switches, because almost everything was moved somewhat. At least the HVAC controls didn't move. Maybe 4-5 major dash pieces would be required? And the door panels? And the seats if you'd change them out. That's to make it "compatible".

Hope this helps (hypothetically speaking )

Last edited by BlueHUMMERH2 : 11-02-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:35 PM
Hummer Professional

Thank you so much for all of the time you took to look into that, including photographs. I really appreciate it! It might look odd doing it a little bit at a time, but spending $1,000 every once in awhile to complete it would be worth it, in my opinion. Mainly because I have been looking at 1999 models for around $50,000 but something in the 2004 range is almost double. I'll have to see what happens. So many ups and downs right now that I go from something like this, to possibly not even owning my H2 within the next few weeks. Bleh.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

evomind2 is on a distinguished road

i was thinking the same....whether or not the interior culd be upgraded.
i just wanrt the dash and front and rear center consoles changed and id be happy.
thers a guy selling his 03 with duramax conversion on ebay and he did the full interior conversion. its on ebay, cant miss it.
to me, after cursory examination, looks like the dash and center consoles shouldnt be that bad.
maybe that guy on ebay can give some info.....
Old 11-13-2006, 05:33 AM
Hummer Veteran

evomind2 is on a distinguished road

heres the guy with the 03 and an 04 dash....
note the pics.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Humme...51176261QQrdZ1
Old 11-13-2006, 05:56 AM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen that truck a bunch of times. I cannot even imagine how many greenbacks he has in to that thing. Nice rig. Unlike alot of people I think that the paint job on the thing is pretty sweet looking.

-007=
Old 11-14-2006, 05:01 AM
Hummer Authority

I sent the eBay seller a message, so we'll see if the seller can shed any light on this. I don't think the old interiors are anything terrible, but the 04 sort of cut down some of the bulk of the previous interior. I'd really like the 04 interior with some sort of all-weather coating, sealed switches, and lots of acoustic insulation. Then you could pop the top open with seat covers, and even if it rained, the interior would be alright.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

HUMMERDOGG. is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: Upgrading the interior

The problem with the new interior is two-fold:
1)It doesn't fit together for ****. Every Alpha I've ever seen has gaps between interior pieces that, for a $150K truck you would think would have come with better fitment and
2)The quality of material is lacking. Take a look at that door piece in the picture above. It's already getting all beat up and scratched. They could have done a better job with material for the interior pieces...

Having said that, I do indeed like the new interior trim pieces and the overall new look of the interior, just not the material covering them or the way they fit together... If I upgraded the interior in my truck, I might integrate some new and old pieces with custom made pieces and then just have Stuart coat it all in piano black or black diamondplate and have some trim pieces in polished billet aluminum or something applied on top...

Last edited by HUMMERDOGG. : 11-16-2006 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:54 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMERDOGG.
The problem with the new interior is two-fold:
1)It doesn't fit together for ****. Every Alpha I've ever seen has gaps between interior pieces that, for a $150K truck you would think would have come with better fitment and
2)The quality of material is lacking. Take a look at that door piece in the picture above. It's already getting all beat up and scratched. They could have done a better job with material for the interior pieces...

Having said that, I do indeed like the new interior trim pieces and the overall new look of the interior, just not the material covering them or the way they fit together... If I upgraded the interior in my truck, I might integrate some new and old pieces with custom made pieces and then just have Stuart coat it all in piano black or black diamondplate and have some trim pieces in polished billet aluminum or something applied on top...
I remember a quote from an automobile magazine when the new interior was first released. Something along the lines of, "the vehicle finally sports an interior fitting of a vehicle half its price." I found it amusing, but that being said, I still love it. The more I look at the pictures though, it is not so much the layout or design that I like, but the way leather (whether cheap or not) covers most everything. If I do go the H1 route, I might see what it would cost to have the older H1 interior pieces upholstered. I like the idea BlueHummerH2 has, with using a material that is more weatherproof. Unfortunately, that would probably be vinyl, unless there is something you can do with leather and/or suede. I guess they make treatments for shoes, but it's kinda greasy, and don't think I'd want that on the interior. Then again, I wouldn't leave it open in a snowstorm or thunderstorm, maybe just some drizzle while I'm hurrying to get the top on. Hmm... more to think about!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:08 PM
Hummer Authority

I was thinking about something like a Rhino lining on some of the parts. But yeah, otherwise, it would be hard to get it weatherproof. I thought for wheeling, say you go out and you have the top off and hit a lot of water, and it starts splashing in, no big deal, just wipe it up later. If I had the 04 interior, I'd probably be freaking out! haha. Of course, they make some pretty darn good looking vinyl treatments. Heck, that stuff we think is leather in the 04's might just be vinyl! The "leather" seat covers I got in South Bend from AM General are mostly vinyl, with leather uppers. Honestly, I can hardly tell the difference.

I'd keep the older model seats though. In concern for safety, the newer seats had headrests that didn't even come close to hitting the back of my head! I'm about 6' so that gives you an idea. I think someone 5'5" might fit ok.

I'm going to call that fellow today about the upgrade.