H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 07-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

MisterE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

With all of you posting photos of your cool new rims, I was just wondering why 20s? It is just the added bling, or is there another reason? I've been thinking of doing aftermarket rims but was planning on staying at the stock 16" so that I could keep the factory 33s to save money. (I would love some BF M/T's for the agressive look and off road capability). I know that more sidewall is better for offroading (can air-down in sand dunes and more flex grip on rocks), is there an advantage to 20's. (Perhaps less rotating mass as I'm guessing the extra rim is lighter then the tire you loose.)

Anyway keep the pictures of your cool rides comming so I have something to day dream about!
Old 07-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Hummer Veteran

MisterE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

With all of you posting photos of your cool new rims, I was just wondering why 20s? It is just the added bling, or is there another reason? I've been thinking of doing aftermarket rims but was planning on staying at the stock 16" so that I could keep the factory 33s to save money. (I would love some BF M/T's for the agressive look and off road capability). I know that more sidewall is better for offroading (can air-down in sand dunes and more flex grip on rocks), is there an advantage to 20's. (Perhaps less rotating mass as I'm guessing the extra rim is lighter then the tire you loose.)

Anyway keep the pictures of your cool rides comming so I have something to day dream about!
Old 07-05-2005, 11:35 PM

H3 Buyer to be? is off the scale

I think the 20s are just to say you have 20s and the cool factor. I had them on mine, looked great but I don't think there is any advantage at all (they are heavier too, so DEFINITELY NO ADVANTAGE THERE). I think you should reconsider the 16s though. At least do an 18" wheel with the 33" tire (Only my opinion).

Check out some pictures, get the style you like, and look for real pictures. In other words not the hand done images you get from the MFG. I ordered 2 sets - one looked nice (MKW MK 26), and the other was OK...
Attached Files
File Type: MKW_20 (86.1 KB, 464 views)
Old 07-05-2005, 11:40 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

20's are for that BLING factor.

If you plan to go off road, stay with 16's or 17's. It sounds like you want to add rims but use the factory tires. Great idea! Your choice of tires will be greater down the road and rims will be cheaper to replace if you ever have to. By buying the 16's or 17's VS 20's you can get all five rims and a couple of tires for the price diff....

If you aren't going to off road, I think 18's would be a great compromise. Ride quality I bet is better in a 16 or 17 VS a 20" rim and tire combo. Still running the stock set up on ours and will do so until we burn them off on the slick rock.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:11 AM

silverbrick is off the scale

I switched to 20" for bling only. If I'm going to go off-roading, I will remount the stock wheels and tires.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/629170/1/26748787
Old 07-06-2005, 12:37 PM
Hummer Expert

Desert Dan is an unknown quantity at this point

20" Rims are for Bling nothing else!!!
Why not add spinners too!

Blinging Hummers promote a Bling Image for the brand in general and that is why some owners get harassed by people for having a vehicle for bling and nothing else.

If you are buying an off road vehicle (or any truck) why would you want stiff low profile tires.

Your on and off road ride will suffer with 20"s and you likely hood of road hazard damage to tire and rim increases.

H3 2006 Adventure/Lux/5-speed/sunroof/rock rails/underbody skids/block heater/Boulder Grey/ Defender Roof Rack

Jeep TJ Rubicon 2003
1988 Jeep Cherokee

Gone - But- Not Forgotten 4x4's
1994 Jeep YJ
Toyota 4x4 Truck(s)
1970 Jeep CJ-5
1962 Willys Wagon
Old 07-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

That is the smart thing to do silver, the larger rims and tires cause problems when off-road, even on the H2. We put 20's with nitto grapplers on a H2 and when I took it out on the course it was a pig. 33's on the H3 and 35's on the H2.