H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 11-14-2006, 06:22 AM
Hummer Authority

BlueHUMMERH2 is on a distinguished road
Default Question for frequent wheelers

I posted a similar question to this in the H2 discussion. For those of you that get out more wheeling (maybe 15-20x year), do you find you're having to replace more often steering components, ball joints, suspension, etc. on the H1's? My truck sounds worse every time I come home from Paragon or wherever, and I really don't think I'm being that hard on it. Is the H2 just not designed to take a lot/this kind of useage? I suspect I've got some repairs coming soon on mine that are going to hurt.

Also, is it easier to work on the H1's at home, or is this just a fallacy of mine? I know there are far less electronics, and from the blown-apart models at AM General, the systems seem to be easier to access.

At this point, I'm considering buying an older, modified Jeep and using that for wheeling (a trailer queen ) and just driving my H2 on the .....street. Oh, that was painful to say I want something that maybe is easier/cheaper to fix.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

Ground hawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question for frequent wheelers

Most parts are easy to work on for the H1, I do all my own work becouse most dealers charge too f#@kin mutch to do even simple work on an H1, about 6-800 to change the tires. the worst thing i've found is removing the under body protection cos it's so darn heavy. so if you can do it without takin it off doit.
I've done a bit of off roading but alot less than most of the poeple on this forum, mainly becouse it's so far from any good off roading places here in Ohio. Pluss I've been plauged with engine problems. now replacing 2nd engine and still not over 40K but this is just my bad luck. not the general Hummer broblem.

Well hope you do decide to go with an H1 there arnt that many of us on the road. so get it and enjoy
Old 11-16-2006, 10:35 PM
Hummer Authority

I think my biggest concern is doing the work myself. I mean, I'm somewhat mechanically inclined. I'm by no means experienced in the realm of automobiles, but I've at least changed the oil in my H2 with no incident... Anyway, I've been reading the info on Flash Off Road and Humvee.net on how to do some of the main procedures. They seem complicated in writing, but maybe they're better in person. I really have trouble reading something because I'm a visual learner, and I learn by watching someone else or repeating what they do with some guidance. I think if I do get one of these, my goal's going to be to put together a very visual maintenance guide for people like me.

Thanks for your input Ground Hawg
Old 11-16-2006, 11:37 PM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

Blue,
You should get Dave B's service CD's that are sold on the Blue HUMMER website. Those have alot more pictures, and would give you a better idea of what you are doing. If you are concerned about being able to do the work yourself, check out and see if there are other local H1 owners that would help you along the way. Wrenching parties are something that alot of the HML owners put together for the people in their areas. The work itself on the H1 is not bad, not bad at all. The fluid changes are all easy, the CTIS work it a breeze, and most trouble shooting is relativley easy IF you have the tools neccasary. You need to factor tools in more then anything else. At this point I am 22-25K in the hole in tools, and still do not have anywhere as complete of a set as I want. Granted, I'm the guy who wants the WHOLE Snap-On tools catolague, and I do have pretty much every tool you need to service an H1 minus some very small odds and ends that I'll have later this year.

-007=
Old 11-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Hummer Authority

Interesting. I didn't know they had wrenching parties. I know that where I'll be for the next few years, Manny and Peter are nearby, along with other NEHOGger's I'm sure. So that would be a great idea for me.

I didn't realize so many tools were required! I have been buying what I can, some sockets here, a wrench there, looking for a torque wrench now, etc. I know that I have no where near what I'd need... I guess I shouldn't be surprised at that price, because I know a mechanic and he's got a whole set that's worth about that much. But I suppose eventually I'll accumulate what I need rummaging through the clearance bins. I'm like my dad. There are no "sets" of tools in his garage, and everything has a yellow "clearance" tag on it.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Hummer Authority

I've been looking at Dave's CD's too. I'm thinking an H1 service manual would be a good idea as well.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Hummer Veteran

hmcoleap is on a distinguished road

My H1 seemed to be at its worst when it sits without being used for a while... the more I drive it (including offroad) the happier it is. Getting bigger tires did increase the rate of wear and tear on idler arm, pitman arm and I have gone through a few steering boxes. Then again, I usually wheel on technical rock-crawl type trails, which are pretty hard on steering components. Ball joints last just fine, as long as you keep them greased, and most of my halfshaft issues have been from tearing open boots and losing grease, not breakage from abuse.

Overall, compared to my previous Jeep for instance, it breaks less often, and it is a pretty easy rig to work on. I think it is easier to work on at home than an H2 is, but like any vehicle some jobs can be a pain. For example, getting to the back side of the engine is a pain in the butt because you have to pull the interior doghouse off to access the engine cover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHUMMERH2
I posted a similar question to this in the H2 discussion. For those of you that get out more wheeling (maybe 15-20x year), do you find you're having to replace more often steering components, ball joints, suspension, etc. on the H1's? My truck sounds worse every time I come home from Paragon or wherever, and I really don't think I'm being that hard on it. Is the H2 just not designed to take a lot/this kind of useage? I suspect I've got some repairs coming soon on mine that are going to hurt.

Also, is it easier to work on the H1's at home, or is this just a fallacy of mine? I know there are far less electronics, and from the blown-apart models at AM General, the systems seem to be easier to access.

At this point, I'm considering buying an older, modified Jeep and using that for wheeling (a trailer queen ) and just driving my H2 on the .....street. Oh, that was painful to say I want something that maybe is easier/cheaper to fix.

-----------------------

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)

manny(at)serious4x4.com
http://www.serious4x4.com
Old 11-27-2006, 09:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

evomind2 is on a distinguished road

are there any upgrades for the idler arm and pitman arms?
Old 11-28-2006, 07:09 AM
Hummer Veteran

They have been improved over the years - the latest versions (MOOG Problem Solvers) last better than previous ones - but I am not aware of any aftermarket "upgraded" components to replace the OEM parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind2
are there any upgrades for the idler arm and pitman arms?

-----------------------

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)

manny(at)serious4x4.com
Old 11-28-2006, 07:25 AM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

there are some really expensive billet ones here:
http://www.uorva.com/products.html
I think they are supposed to be rebuildable? A bit out of my price range.

rb
Old 11-29-2006, 05:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

Yeah... it would be cheaper to carry 6 spares of each!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonB
there are some really expensive billet ones here:
http://www.uorva.com/products.html
I think they are supposed to be rebuildable? A bit out of my price range.

rb

-----------------------

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)

manny(at)serious4x4.com
Old 11-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

evomind2 is on a distinguished road

hmmmm...those h/d ones look pretty good to me. if they indeed hold up to more abuse i would be willing to go that route.....i hate failures in the middle of nowhere.
if ur wheelin and something breaks, it cant be much fun fixing stuff if ur in a foot of mud. id still carry a spare though.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

Of course it is fun to fix things when you are in the middle of nowhere... that's part of what wheeling is all about

Seriously, though -- I have had idler arms experience some excessive play, and require replacement; but in 140k miles of very rough use, my Hummer has never had one "break" on the trail so that we couldn't drive out. I always carry a spare one (a take off that was worn) just in case, but I have never had to use it. Also, an Idler arm is only held on with 3 bolts, so as long as you have a pitman puller to separate it from the centerlink, it is a pretty easy swap, even if it did break.

Halfshafts, Prop shaft, steering boxes, transmission, transfer case... yes. I've had all of these parts break on the trail at one time or another. But no idler arm failures that stopped me in my tracks on the trail. (Knock on wood)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind2
hmmmm...those h/d ones look pretty good to me. if they indeed hold up to more abuse i would be willing to go that route.....i hate failures in the middle of nowhere.
if ur wheelin and something breaks, it cant be much fun fixing stuff if ur in a foot of mud. id still carry a spare though.

-----------------------

/''T''|[___|___]
[---T--L -OlllllllO-]
()_)"""()_)/"**"\)_)

manny(at)serious4x4.com