H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 07-18-2006, 12:18 AM
Hummer Guru

Agriv8r is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Stock audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
Just checked the XM Traffic and from what I can determine in my area, it is basically worthless, so I would opt for the standard XM tuner. Might also include the wireless remote that attaches to the steering wheel.
Did anyone install the Pioneer backup camera, and if so, where did you mount it? I would assume in the middle, but would it not show the rear tire?

W are install "bullet" cameras. We mount them flush into the rear bumper with a little wedge to get the tire out of the picture. Also using hitch cams.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Hummer Professional

Mark805 is off the scale

F5fstop:

I have the pioneer camera on mine. I have it mounted just to the right of the trailer hitch. I can take a picture if you want to see where I put it.

I like the position for backing but if you are going to use it to watch your trailered stuff its not going to show you much.

Dear GM: PLEASE SELL ME AN HX
Old 07-18-2006, 07:09 PM
Hummer Guru

Agriv8r is an unknown quantity at this point

post the pic
Old 07-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark805
Dont get me wrong on this... both systems are great but if you can swing it, I'd spend the extra $500 and go with the Z1, you'll be happy in the long run.

I would have to agree that they are both great systems and that the Z1 has some features that are great and is overall a better system. What I have to disagree with is it only being $500 more. I have not checked in a few months so maybe it has changed but the best price for the Z1 I could find at the time was about $1K more than the average price I could get a D1 for. I could certainly swing it but just could justify it on my first NAV system. I am going to run the D1 for a while and then depending on how much I utilize it and how the other features would benefit me, I might bump up to the Z1.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 07-18-2006, 07:53 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Just checked the XM Traffic and from what I can determine in my area, it is basically worthless, so I would opt for the standard XM tuner. Might also include the wireless remote that attaches to the steering wheel.

Check around on pricing but I would go ahead and get the XM Traffic tuner instead of just the standard XM Tuner. As I recall it only cost me about $20 more than a standard one and you have the option. Just don't sign up for the $2.95/mo traffic service until it is worth it. If it never become worth it, you only spent an extra $20 but it will probably retain resale better than a standard tuner. Just my $0.02 on it.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Actual price is higher than $20.00. I won't be leaving it in when I trade next year, I will take it with me.
However, one last question, and maybe I have to go up to the store to find out, but how about viewing the screen with polarizer sunglasses. I have seen some screens impossible to read with these sunglasses.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:00 AM
Hummer Professional

Mark805 is off the scale

screen reads fine using Polarized Oakley Romeo 2.0s.

Camera pictures inc when i get home from work

Dear GM: PLEASE SELL ME AN HX
Old 07-19-2006, 03:38 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Actual price is higher than $20.00. I won't be leaving it in when I trade next year, I will take it with me.

If you are looking at a retail location they will be more that $20 higher but I got my tuner new off Ebay. As far a resale, I was talking the tuner itself, not helping the resale/trade value of the vehicle. So what are you trading for next year, a new H3?

Old 07-19-2006, 10:37 AM
Hummer Guru

If I purchase, it will probably be from a place in DE that I have dealt with before. Their price is less than $900 for the unit; local is around 1300. I was talking about the XM tuner, seems to run about 50 more. Price isn't the problem, it's the service in this area, and the fact it is limited to major cities.

Just found out on Pioneer's website that there is a local demo on Saturday about 10 miles from here. Vehicles will be available with the different systems outside. Hopefully, it will be a nice sunny day.

One last question:
Does anyone have the names and part numbers for the connectors that are required to keep Onstar, the Chime and Monsoon operating; as well as retain all the other factory radio functions such as speed/sound increase (function of the BCM). I have looked and places I find seem to only mention up to 2004 or 2005. They sound like they will work, but want to be sure.

IF, I decide to get one, I promise to take tons of photos for the install and post them here.

Last edited by f5fstop : 07-19-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Hummer Guru

I am surprised you don't have the XM Traffic coverage that we have down here. Or maybe I was mistaken but aren't you in the Detroit area? Maybe we have the coverage even though it is a smaller city due to being the tourism capital. I wouldn't spend $50 extra for it if you are not going to get the benefit either. I don't have the part numbers available to me right now but will check on them. The shop you are planning on purchasing from should be able to supply everything you need but you can also PM kodiakz here on the forum and he can get everything for you. He is very knowledgeable and tell you your best options. Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions. You have answered so many questions for the rest of us I will do my best to answer any you might have.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:53 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerNewbie
I am surprised you don't have the XM Traffic coverage that we have down here. Or maybe I was mistaken but aren't you in the Detroit area? Maybe we have the coverage even though it is a smaller city due to being the tourism capital. I wouldn't spend $50 extra for it if you are not going to get the benefit either. I don't have the part numbers available to me right now but will check on them. The shop you are planning on purchasing from should be able to supply everything you need but you can also PM kodiakz here on the forum and he can get everything for you. He is very knowledgeable and tell you your best options. Don't hesitate to PM me if you have any questions. You have answered so many questions for the rest of us I will do my best to answer any you might have.

The XM road coverage that they show for this area does not include any of the roads I normally travel (am I reading the map correctly). I tend to stay off the interstates and large highways in this area, finding it a lot faster to commute on the smaller roads.
I emailed Kodiakz a few days ago, and have not heard anything; vacation maybe. The place I'm purchasing from sells the major components, but not many of the adapters, but their price of $899 for the new unit is the best I can find, and they are reputable. I have dealt with them before and so has my neighbor. (MyTaxFree.com).

Right now I am researching (for everyone too), the VSS wire. I have found that on some early build H3s, the speed signal wire might be right at the radio connector (not used by the radio), but in later builds they removed it unless the vehicle came from the factory with the Nav unit. However, in all cases, the VSS signal wire comes into the vehicle to connector C204, which is located behind the right kick panel area (remove the sill molding by pulling up, then remove the kick panel by pulling inward). Connector is right in the middle and is white with a blue locking device bar.
The wire will come in on one side of the connector (engine wiring harness side), but not be in the other connector that is the I/P harness unless a Nav is installed or it is an early build. There are two dark green/white stripped wires coming into the connector. One is the A/C compressor turn on signal, and the other is the VSS signal wire. The VSS signal wire is toward the middle of the connector, the A/C request is the third in from the end. (I'll get photos next week during the install.)
Old 07-19-2006, 04:59 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubHer Yellow Ducky
I have lousy hearing, BUT, I will tell you the Monsoon System is SUPER...

RYD

Is that why you are always yelling???
Old 07-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Hummer Guru

I guess my confusion on the adapters is that the websites I'm visiting show the following:
Peripheral GMAH24B - Now you can replace the factory radio in your OnStar and Bose equipped GM vehicle and maintain all of the Bose amplifiers, Bose speakers, and OnStar functionality. For model year 2000-2004.
and
Peripheral GMAHCM - This one sounds correct, except for the model years.

Is it that the website has not updated the information, or is there another adapter required?
In addition, when they say Bose, do they also mean Monsoon? I guess I could research the GM schematics, but to see if the Bose and Monsoon have similar wires for connection to the amplifiers from the radios.

So, if these are correct, all I would require would be:
Receiver
XM Tuner
The two adapters
Antenna adapter
Rear Camera
Two-bottles of Morgan's Rum
Face plate
Another bottle of Morgan's Rum

(Actually, probably a lot easier than the mirrors.)
Old 07-19-2006, 07:42 PM
Hummer Veteran

BuzzH3 is off the scale

Quote:
I guess my confusion on the adapters is that the websites I'm visiting show the following:
Peripheral GMAH24B - Now you can replace the factory radio in your OnStar and Bose equipped GM vehicle and maintain all of the Bose amplifiers, Bose speakers, and OnStar functionality. For model year 2000-2004.
and
Peripheral GMAHCM - This one sounds correct, except for the model years.

Is it that the website has not updated the information, or is there another adapter required?
In addition, when they say Bose, do they also mean Monsoon? I guess I could research the GM schematics, but to see if the Bose and Monsoon have similar wires for connection to the amplifiers from the radios.

Receiver
XM Tuner
The two adapters
Antenna adapter
Rear Camera
Face plate

I have the Z1 and love it. I have a sunroof and have had no problems viewing it in direct sunlight. I haven't messed with the D1, but from what I have heard the hard drive based nav is much quicker than DVD based. There is a lot of great information on AVIC411.com. Some of the people on that forum preferred to go with other brand cameras instead of the pioneer. I bought the Pioneer and so far I love it. The viewing angles are very good and the picture quality is very good even in low light. I mounted mine right above my license plate, but I'm thinking about moving it. My plan is to buy a motor for a power side mirror and mount it near the hitch. Then mount the switch in the center console so I can adjust the camera from inside the vehicle.

Those are the correct 2 adapters. You will also have to connect the 3 purple wires in the factory harness together.
If you end up getting the Z1, which I recommend, also get the bypass board from AVIC411.com so you can access all of the features while driving.

I was lucky. My VSS wire was in the small plug in the factory harness.

From what I read about your mirror install this should be much easier. I spent about 5-6 hours on it, but I tend to really take my time on things because I'm afraid of messing something up.

Also, a lot of people on the AVIC411 forum have been mounting their XM and GPS antenna to the underside of the dash and have had excellent results. I actually ran mine to the roof (even though kodiaz suggested under the dash), but next time I need to get into the dash, I think I am going to remount them. There is plenty of room right above the stereo to mount them.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:15 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

stock sysstem, driver side door pannel speaker rattleing bass all of a sudden? problems
Old 07-19-2006, 09:20 PM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I guess my confusion on the adapters is that the websites

Receiver
XM Tuner
The two adapters
Antenna adapter
Rear Camera
Face plate

hey f5fstop

what do you need the antenna adapter for?, is that so you can reuse one of the antenas or what. I am going to do the same install so am kinda researching the procedure right now. I got some help from buzz a while ago, he also installed the z1.

Please take alot of pics of the intall and post , Thanks!
Old 07-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzH3
I have the Z1 and love it. I have a sunroof and have had no problems viewing it in direct sunlight. I haven't messed with the D1, but from what I have heard the hard drive based nav is much quicker than DVD based. There is a lot of great information on AVIC411.com. Some of the people on that forum preferred to go with other brand cameras instead of the pioneer. I bought the Pioneer and so far I love it. The viewing angles are very good and the picture quality is very good even in low light. I mounted mine right above my license plate, but I'm thinking about moving it. My plan is to buy a motor for a power side mirror and mount it near the hitch. Then mount the switch in the center console so I can adjust the camera from inside the vehicle.

Those are the correct 2 adapters. You will also have to connect the 3 purple wires in the factory harness together.
If you end up getting the Z1, which I recommend, also get the bypass board from AVIC411.com so you can access all of the features while driving.

I was lucky. My VSS wire was in the small plug in the factory harness.

From what I read about your mirror install this should be much easier. I spent about 5-6 hours on it, but I tend to really take my time on things because I'm afraid of messing something up.

Also, a lot of people on the AVIC411 forum have been mounting their XM and GPS antenna to the underside of the dash and have had excellent results. I actually ran mine to the roof (even though kodiaz suggested under the dash), but next time I need to get into the dash, I think I am going to remount them. There is plenty of room right above the stereo to mount them.

Wondering do you have an early build H3? Reason I'm asking is I'm trying to correlate some information on why some have the VSS wire to the connector and some don't. In addition, you say three purple wires, per the schematics, one of those three purple wires going to the radio is only for the GPS head unit. So, I'm only guessing here, but from what I seem to have found out, early builds have the plugs setup for the NAV system, even if they had no NAV system. Somewhere along the line, GM revised the wiring and the NAV wires were left out unless NAV was installed in the plant.

Now, back to those three purple wires. You say you have to splice them together? Doesn't the new system adjust volume for speed? The purple wires are the serial data bus wire, that the BCM uses for multiple reason. One, to signal the volume to go down or up depending on speed, to identify the radio that is part of the internal LAN system, and to chime and I believe the RAP circuit. So, the twisting of these wires together confuses me, since the information on the website regarding these adapters state the RAP circuit works, the volume is controlled.
Are there wires that need to be spliced into other circuits other than the radio circuits?
There is a small shelf just above the radio, where the factory NAV system antenna is mounted, and that should be okay for the Pioneer, at least that is where I'll mount the antenna.
Where did you install the XM box? Did you mount behind the radio, or over the glove box?
Sorry for all the questions, but those purple wires confuse me, but then again, I do not have the wiring schematics for the adapters.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin8703
hey f5fstop

what do you need the antenna adapter for?, is that so you can reuse one of the antenas or what. I am going to do the same install so am kinda researching the procedure right now. I got some help from buzz a while ago, he also installed the z1.

Please take alot of pics of the intall and post , Thanks!
Not sure if I will or not, but I know GM has used a mini plug for many years, and I guess I'm assuming Pioneer is using the larger antenna hole. Guess I should ask too.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Not sure if I will or not, but I know GM has used a mini plug for many years, and I guess I'm assuming Pioneer is using the larger antenna hole. Guess I should ask too.

Yes, to use the factory radio antenna you will need the adaptor. Also, I mounted my XM tuner directly behind the head unit.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Hummer Guru

Did anyone lose the ability to fade front/rear with the adapter? Per one of their techs, I will lose the ability to fade the sound. Looking at their so-called online instructions, it appears that on some GM vehicles with rear controls you lose this ability; however, without rear controls you retain this ability.
Their answer, and their so-called online instruction (which are some of the worse instructions I have ever read), does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about this adapter.
Granted, their online instructions could be just that, and a better set comes with the kit, but they have some inaccuracies that are noticeable such as Onstar leads coming in on the 24-pin connector.
Are there any other companies that make this type adapter?