H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 10-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

H3_ATX_BLK is on a distinguished road
Arrow Built in Pistol Locker

***MAKE SURE YOU KNOW THE CONCEALED HANDGUN LAWS IN YOUR STATE, THIS MODIFICATION MAY BE CONSIDERED CARRYING OF A CONCEALED HANDGUN***

I saw a thread on gun lockers, and it got me to thinking.... here is what I did.

Real simple application, just used 2 cabinet locks from home depot (make sure you get matching keys for both locks, check the serial #). Then I drilled out and installed the latch. You could also install 2 latches on each door. Email me if you have an questions.

Name:  DSC01337.JPG
Views: 1248
Size:  137.3 KB

Name:  DSC01338.JPG
Views: 1138
Size:  121.4 KB

Name:  DSC01345.JPG
Views: 1189
Size:  135.9 KB

Name:  DSC01347.JPG
Views: 1178
Size:  141.7 KB

Name:  DSC01349.JPG
Views: 1075
Size:  139.7 KB

Name:  DSC01350.JPG
Views: 1128
Size:  153.1 KB

Name:  DSC01351.JPG
Views: 1137
Size:  139.2 KB
Old 10-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Hummer Professional

Hucky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Built in Pistol Locker

Wow, using that wood paddle bit is Ballsy, next time use a Whole saw bit, way more precise.

Looks good as finished

California handgun laws- you can carry but the gun and ammo have to be in 2 separate locked containers.

Great job
Old 10-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucky
Wow, using that wood paddle bit is Ballsy, next time use a Whole saw bit, way more precise.

Looks good as finished

California handgun laws- you can carry but the gun and ammo have to be in 2 separate locked containers.

Great job

It is a little rough, im having an aluminum plate machined to cover it. In Texas you have to have a concealed carry permit to carry one in your vehicle.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Hummer Veteran

subunix is on a distinguished road

Do you use it full time or just when youre going in somewhere you cant carry... ie. bank , school etc etc
Old 10-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by subunix
Do you use it full time or just when youre going in somewhere you cant carry... ie. bank , school etc etc

Just when I cant carry on my person, I usually carry in a BTB holster.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:59 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

A nice job, to be sure. I wouldn't feel comfortable keeping a pistol behind a locking plastic panel.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:07 AM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

That's an ideal location for a mod to build in a lock box. You mentioned making an aluminum cover to take the place of the plastic one in your version. Unless it's bolted to something substantial it seems you could just pop it with a heavy screw driver.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:26 AM
Hummer Veteran

I wouldn't feel comfortable if anyone knew it was there, or over night, but when I am traveling, its a good place to keep ammo, guns, etc. And I would never leave a gun in there while wheeling, end up all over the place or with me getting shot in the back when I hit a bump.

Short of welding a lock box to the frame, no matter where you put it, if someone knows its there they can get it. If you mounted a lockbox in the same place, you could pop the lock box out with a screwdriver as well. So if you ABSOLUTELY dont want a gun stolen out of your car, then dont have one in there. But i think this makes a nice deterent, for having a gun with me when my kid is in the car, keeps prying eyes and fingers away, but lets be honest if someone is bound and determined to get something out of your car, they are going too.

This was never intended as long term storage, and I installed locks on both sides, just to keep people out of things I dont want them into, the foam cradle for the pistols slides right out, and isnt glued in.

In short this is to store firearms when I am with them, not leave them unattended. But anonymity is the best defense if you didnt know they were there you wouldnt look for them.

Last edited by H3_ATX_BLK : 10-07-2007 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:46 AM
Hummer Veteran

subunix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3_ATX_BLK
I wouldn't feel comfortable if anyone knew it was there, or over night, but when I am traveling, its a good place to keep ammo, guns, etc. And I would never leave a gun in there while wheeling, end up all over the place or with me getting shot in the back when I hit a bump.

Short of welding a lock box to the frame, no matter where you put it, if someone knows its there they can get it. If you mounted a lockbox in the same place, you could pop the lock box out with a screwdriver as well. So if you ABSOLUTELY dont want a gun stolen out of your car, then dont have one in there. But i think this makes a nice deterent, for having a gun with me when my kid is in the car, keeps prying eyes and fingers away, but lets be honest if someone is bound and determined to get something out of your car, they are going too.

This was never intended as long term storage, and I installed locks on both sides, just to keep people out of things I dont want them into, the foam cradle for the pistols slides right out, and isnt glued in.

In short this is to store firearms when I am with them, not leave them unattended. But anonymity is the best defense if you didnt know they were there you wouldnt look for them.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

All good points. By the same token I know that (for me) there will be nights when I am too dogged tired and WILL end up leaving it in the truck overnight.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

Steve #1 is on a distinguished road

As a smash and grab thief, the lock would make me think that it would be worth the second to stick my screwdriver in there and pop the panel off.

In Texas you can carry a loaded concealed handgun in your vehicle as long as you aren?t a gang member or committing a crime and you can lawfully posses a handgun.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:26 PM
Hummer Expert

Texas Red is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve #1
In Texas you can carry a loaded concealed handgun in your vehicle as long as you aren?t a gang member or committing a crime and you can lawfully posses a handgun.

Off topic. But Steve is correct on this from what I hear. The Texas code was recently modified to define "traveling" as whenever you are in your auto. It was sticky before because "traveling" was not defined in the code, so it was up to the judge.
Old 10-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

Groundpounder is on a distinguished road

In Texas "traveling" is accepted as "an overnight stay outside your resident county". It really ends up being a "don't ask-don't tell" kind of deal. I never understood the idea behind having a pistol in a vehicle if it is in one location and the ammo is in another. On top of that a shotgun is no problem. Just don't put it on top of the dash, looks to aggressive. That is one reason police dropped the Colt 45, to aggressive with cocked-and-locked and it scares the public.
A good location for a shotgun in an H3 would be in an over-head rack just inside the rear door. People rarely look up when they look inside a vehicle.
As for me, after 9-11, the FBI mandated all law enforcement officers will carry off-duty. I just had to get my shirts one size bigger to help conceal it.
2006 Slate Blue Metallic H3, FlowMaster exhaust, True Flow cold air intake system, Ground Force rear lowering kit, custom locking fuel door, chrome hood grill w/handle, US Speedo gauge kit (chrome and red numbers), Custom rear tire cover, chrome tail light guard, custom paint on skid plate, new pin stripping, USMC front license plate. Semper Fi
Old 10-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve #1
As a smash and grab thief, the lock would make me think that it would be worth the second to stick my screwdriver in there and pop the panel off.

I'm not sure what the law is for non-CHL. I have have a CHL so I am usually carrying in my car, I had just been keeping it in my center console, and I still do when im driving. For me it is legal to carry anytime.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Hummer Veteran

Steve #1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3_ATX_BLK
I'm not sure what the law is for non-CHL. I have have a CHL so I am usually carrying in my car, I had just been keeping it in my center console, and I still do when I'm driving. For me it is legal to carry anytime.

I prefer having it on my hip vs the console, but as long as you can get to, that's what counts.

Groundpunder, because the law was so vague, a "presumption of traveling" was codified a couple years ago, so you are fairly safe as long as you are outside of Harris Co.. http://www.gunlaws.com/Texas-healy-traveling.htm
Old 10-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

Lezam is on a distinguished road

Thats a really good idea, even if you dont use it for a gunsafe!
Old 10-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lezam
Thats a really good idea, even if you dont use it for a gunsafe!

Thanks! Working out well!
Old 10-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Hummer Authority

TXSUT is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice job for its intended purpose! You might think about some velcro straps to keep things from bouncing around.