H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 07-25-2007, 08:24 PM
Elcova Newbie

texasmcse is on a distinguished road
Default Black wheels for H3

I'm planning to get an H3 in the next few months and want to have it equipped at the dealer with some nice black wheels, hopefully something that will fit the stock tires.

Questions:

Any models or manufacturers that make black wheels that would look good on an H3 and fit the tire?

How much are they?

Should I expect the dealer to give me a slight discount since they will be keeping the factory wheels?

Thanks
Brett
Old 07-25-2007, 08:39 PM
Hummer Professional

mountainbiker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Black wheels for H3

Brett,

I have the Cepek wheels (all black) on mine. This thread has some pics of them. Here are also more resources for the wheels:
http://flashoffroad.com/catalog/orig...3/H3wheels.htm
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autoscon...F03-313860.htm

If you get a set put some anti-seize on the bolts (there are six long bolts that hold the trim rings on to the wheel; the others are short (still removable) but are for show). I'd also recommend getting a 90-degree valve extension for each wheel. If you get them direct from R.T.Cepek, he can hook you up with the extensions.

The wheels are powder coated not painted.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Hummer Expert

stagger_lee is on a distinguished road

Brett -

Why not not just drive off with your factory rims in place and purchase a set outside of dealership? They might say they are giving you a discount, but then over charge you for a custom wheel job. It might be nice to have an extra set of rims anyway maybe for some off road tires , or sell them private party on your own. 4wheel parts always has deals on tire and rim combos and and shipping is decently priced if you cant find a shop near you that will install, look into that too. Good luck brother! Post some pics of the new ride.

'06 Luxury Adventure
'99 Toyota 4runner 4x4
'71 FJ40
Old 07-25-2007, 10:39 PM
Elcova Newbie

texasmcse is on a distinguished road

That is definitely an option. Will have to see. I'm going for the blacked out look ("murdered out", as Rob and Big say) and looking for some options on wheels. What is involved in painting/powder coating the stock rims? Anyone done that? I'm assuming you would need to strip the chrome or whatever paint was already on there, right?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:52 AM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you seen the black "H3 tactical edition" wheels? I bet you could get your dealer to change out the stockers for a set.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:47 AM
Hummer Veteran

Urban Ops is on a distinguished road

We H3 owners are so limited on wheel choices because of the backspacing. Thats if you want to do it right. I was quoted $80 per wheel to powder coat them black. You can get black steel wheels cheaper but, they're steel. Hard to balance. You'll spend more for forged wheels and again, your limited on choice if you want to maintain the proper backspacing. I have decided I'm going to put my money into the wheels that came from the factory. You can't go wrong with a factory wheel and it's actually less expensive than replacing them with new ones. As far as the process, you take them to a PC shop and drop them off and pick them up when done. They do all the prep work. If you have chrome wheels, there might be a higher cost. I'm not sure. I'm planning to get mine done when I replace my tires to save the hassel of breaking them down multiple times.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:19 AM
Hummer Professional

mountainbiker is on a distinguished road

eBay Item number: 170134168913
Old 07-27-2007, 04:14 AM
Hummer Authority

H3slate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisha Haddan H3
Have you seen the black "H3 tactical edition" wheels? I bet you could get your dealer to change out the stockers for a set.

I just saw a red "tactical edition" at the dealer. The black wheels are sick!!
It should be a "UAV" as Rob & Big would say.

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron

Old 08-02-2007, 05:19 AM
Hummer Veteran

Pazzel is on a distinguished road

I just got my second H3 tonight and I had the dealer get the stock wheel "thin spokes powder coated and they look awesome will post pics tomorrow

AV
Old 04-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Greetings all,

I am looking to buy wheels for my H3 Adventure Package. I want to keep the BFG LT285/75R18s. Does anyone have recommendations for or - even better - photos for wheels that are primarily black with brushed alloy accents or solid brushed alloy accents as illustrated below?

I have been to all of the popular wheels sites but they don't seem to list the 10mm / 6-139 bolt offset.

Thanks!

http://www.aewheel.com/eagle_alloy_wheels.cfm?id=104

http://www.wheelsforless.com/images/are/6085.jpg
Old 04-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

CWS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmcse
I'm planning to get an H3 in the next few months and want to have it equipped at the dealer with some nice black wheels, hopefully something that will fit the stock tires.

Questions:

Any models or manufacturers that make black wheels that would look good on an H3 and fit the tire?

How much are they?

Should I expect the dealer to give me a slight discount since they will be keeping the factory wheels?

Thanks
Brett
Your dealer may be reasonable, two that I went to weren't. I wanted to trade (swap) my chrome Alpha wheels for a set (5) of the black tactical wheels. The dealer(s) gave me a price of $ 2500.00 !!!! When the smelling salts woke me, I reminded them (again) that I wanted a swap, one said; "no" and the other would give me $ 1000.00 towards the price of the tactical wheels. That would still leave me with a $ 1500.00 bill.

I left and got my set of five black tactical wheels from evilbay (as my sales guy recommended) for $ 550.00 - had 'em within a week.

Check eBay, there's usually a bunch floating around.

Cliff
Old 04-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3.007
Does anyone have recommendations for or - even better - photos for wheels that are primarily black with brushed alloy accents or solid brushed alloy accents as illustrated below?

ProComp has a bunch in that style.

http://www.procomptires.com/alloywheels.html

Old 04-04-2008, 04:47 AM
Hummer Veteran

ctluba is on a distinguished road

I had my chrome factory wheels powder coated for $60.00 per wheel. After driving all winter they have no chips and are holding up nice. It is a pain in the ass putting the truck on blocks, having the tires dismounted, hoping you dont screw up the tire pressure monitors, have the tires re-mounted and putting it all back together. Save yourself a **** load of work and just buy the tactical package!!!! That is what I would do if I had to do it over.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:54 AM
Hummer Veteran

ctluba is on a distinguished road

I just noticed the dates on this thread. Texasmcse must have already bought his truck, Oh well.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:56 AM
Hummer Veteran

trailerpup is on a distinguished road

I went with the American Racing Chamber black teflon 16x8 with BFG Mud T/A 35's. I like them well enough... takes a bit to get those wheels to fit over the front hub, though. They are 4.5 inch backspacing, where as the stock H3 wheels are 5.5. I am going with some one-off center caps as I hate the look of the fake plastic hex head bolts molded into the original caps... Good luck.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:55 AM
Hummer Expert

Ok - I bought the GA9s from Tire Rack. Questions:

1) The offset is different than the stock rims and the wheels stick out 2" past the fenders. Has anyone else had this happen?
2) Does it pose a problem for inspection or state equipment code? I am in Pennsylvania and I think tires have to exceed the fender by 3" before you are required to have flares.
3) Does having the treads sticking out like this cause excessive spatter damage to the doors and fenders from flying debris?
4) Did those who have installed custom wheels have to reset the TPMS system? The installer stated some vehicles require the reset and others do not. I did not and drove it for about ten miles post install. I did not receive and warnings.

I'll post pictures this weekend - it was too dark to shoot and post by the time I got back tonight.

Heads up for anyone else that buys these - you will need to buy "tuner" locks and a breaker bar and socket to get the lugs out - the rim sockets are so small in diameter that a regular tire iron will not work.
Thanks and Happy Weekend!
Old 06-05-2008, 03:32 AM
Hummer Expert

Well, finally here are photos of the black wheels I bought as related to my previous inquiries on the subject. The wheels are Granite GA9s from Tire Rack. They are not perfect replacements for the stock wheels as the offset is different (the tires extended 2" past the fenders upon installation). Tire Rack was unaware of this and did offer to accept a return on of the wheels as the setup technically was not legal by PA DOT inspection standards. However, I bought the E&G Classics FLare kit and voila - the wheels stayed.

$122 each for the wheels (and yes - the spare matches). $427 for the fender flare kit. Having the baddest looking H3 in town during a fuel crisis to boot - Priceless!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg H3 A.jpg (120.2 KB, 1610 views)
File Type: jpg H3 B.jpg (138.9 KB, 466 views)
File Type: jpg H3 C.jpg (158.5 KB, 445 views)
File Type: jpg H3 D.jpg (91.6 KB, 439 views)
File Type: jpg H3 E.jpg (144.6 KB, 433 views)
Old 06-05-2008, 03:56 AM
Hummer Authority

H3slate is on a distinguished road

Nice!! Looks good!! The flares look good on your rig!

Backspacing has always been an issue with the H3 and custom wheels. Looks like you found a good solution. The flares should also help with the spatter damage.

Black Sheep Hummer Squadron

Old 06-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Hummer Expert

Thanks for the compliments! Yeah, the spatter damage honestly was the bigger concern. A couple of buddies of mine whom own garages stated the police likely would not bother me as there are numerous vehicles running around with much bigger wheel/tire offset issues. However, my brother (a deputy in another county in PA) stated the local police there would harass me to no end. I guess it depends on where you live.

I forgot to mention that the mud flaps also were part of the fender flare kit and are molded to incorporate the fit of both.

I am not sure if you can tell in the photos, but I had a local shop shoot the front panel of the rear fenders with a Rhino-like product. The product prevents further fender gouges from spatter as several other owners in this forum have done and it looks really cool. The difference is that this product stays somewhat plyable, unlike the Rhino product I had sprayed on the brush and bumper guards as well as the tow hooks. I even had a stranger come up to me one day just to comment on that portion (fender shots) of the product. I have run the truck through several high pressure car washes with no negative effect on the product.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

H3_ATX_BLK is on a distinguished road

I've got a set of 5 take off wheels, and 4 tires (one had a side wall puncture, i cant sell it in good concience). If anyone is interested around the Austin, TX area.

C