H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 01-08-2007, 04:09 AM
Hummer Expert

H3 Builder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: V8 H3 Alpha

When you talk about any vehicle you always hear the same thing, "IT NEEDS MORE POWER". Now I agree that extra power is always better, but GM had to make a choice and went with the same power plant as the Colorado engine. If you noticed, GM has been bringing new products to market at a reasonable price. If you start adding this and that, it can bring the price up. If GM thinks there is a market and sell plenty of product to be worth while, then the buisness case is made, then things happen.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:33 AM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

It does not need a v-8. I heard the same thing all the time selling. power, power, power. well then why do so many bitch about MPG. I'm sick of it. hay if you don't like the I-5 then don't buy the damn truck
I love it.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3 Builder
When you talk about any vehicle you always hear the same thing, "IT NEEDS MORE POWER". Now I agree that extra power is always better, but GM had to make a choice and went with the same power plant as the Colorado engine. If you noticed, GM has been bringing new products to market at a reasonable price. If you start adding this and that, it can bring the price up. If GM thinks there is a market and sell plenty of product to be worth while, then the buisness case is made, then things happen.

I agree, but there is one on this thread who likes to think he knows, but has not idea what he is talking about...got that Steve.

I have a feeling if the V8 does come, he will complain about how it is priced and packaged.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:56 PM
Steve - SanJose

F5, you are wrong about me. Got that? Got milk? And I would not complain about a bit more power.

And I agree with Sewie's comments:
"I don't think the mileage was as much an issue in choosing the I5 as the fact that it was already available. Why plonk all the money into R&D when you already have an engine that is capable enough and that you can drop right in."

"Now that the H3 is released and successful, and enough people are complaining about power, it makes sense for GM to look at other options."

And I agree with H3 Builder's comments:
"When you talk about any vehicle you always hear the same thing, "IT NEEDS MORE POWER". Now I agree that extra power is always better, but GM had to make a choice and went with the same power plant as the Colorado engine. If you noticed, GM has been bringing new products to market at a reasonable price. If you start adding this and that, it can bring the price up. If GM thinks there is a market and sell plenty of product to be worth while, then the buisness case is made, then things happen."

"It does not need a v-8. I heard the same thing all the time selling. power, power, power. well then why do so many bitch about MPG.?"

Last edited by Steve - SanJose : 01-08-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:50 PM
Hummer Expert

Huck BB62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve - SanJose
F5, you are wrong about me. Got that? Got milk? And I would not complain about a bit more power.

And I agree with Sewie's comments:
"I don't think the mileage was as much an issue in choosing the I5 as the fact that it was already available. Why plonk all the money into R&D when you already have an engine that is capable enough and that you can drop right in."

"Now that the H3 is released and successful, and enough people are complaining about power, it makes sense for GM to look at other options."

And I agree with H3 Builder's comments:
"When you talk about any vehicle you always hear the same thing, "IT NEEDS MORE POWER". Now I agree that extra power is always better, but GM had to make a choice and went with the same power plant as the Colorado engine. If you noticed, GM has been bringing new products to market at a reasonable price. If you start adding this and that, it can bring the price up. If GM thinks there is a market and sell plenty of product to be worth while, then the buisness case is made, then things happen."

"It does not need a v-8. I heard the same thing all the time selling. power, power, power. well then why do so many bitch about MPG.?"

I understand the gist of what you're saying but, and this is a butt as big as Jay-Lo's, it IS true. The H3 does need more power. For any other time that it's being used other than on the trail, it's considered anemic. When I drive our Denali to work for a few days, then jump in the H3, I feel like I'm flogging a tired old mule. No more passing, no more hurrying, it just takes longer to get home even. It takes the joy out of driving on the road, and that's DAMNED important. What's important too is that it's not a comfortable feeling to know that instead of using an engine at 60% of it's power range, I'm nearing 100% quite frequently. An engine that's utilized at more of it's load rating is going to fail sooner, and that's the truth of it.

Adequate just doesn't cut it when you're in the auto business. What's needed is to pound the everlovin' krap out of the competition. Hell, our Denali only gets two mpg less than the H3. How many of you'd give up the 2mpg for all that power? All that driveability? I know I would!

Look at what happened to the SSR. I understand that it's a different application as well but the point is this: It was heavy, and underpowered when it was introduced with the krappy 5.3 and people hated it, sound familiar? We've had Yukons back to back, one with the 5.3, then the Denali with the 6.0. It was the same thing, the enjoyment of one over the other is truly an important factor. What doesn't seem like much on paper, made a huge difference in how we feel about the vehicle.

Hummer did indeed think out of the box on many issues with the H3, but on some of them, they're firmly planted IN the box like a snitch gangster's feet in concrete. The weak front end is one, and the engine's another. To beat the competition, they have to offer better. A stronger front end, and the 6.0 would be, gasp, innovative, and would bruise the competition badly. A V6 Dmax would be even better than that.

So the H3 Alpha gets a few inches longer. It gets a mile or two less per mpg. It'll need an HD frontend. You'd have to pay a few more thousand. Wanna bet me how many people on this forum woud jump TOMORROW if it were to come out with the 6.0 or V6 Dmax!?!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Hummer Authority

RuggedH2 is on a distinguished road

I would. Tomorrow. Be damn happy to.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:07 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

comparing a full size GMC to the H3 is stupid
Old 01-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Hummer Authority

RuggedH2 is on a distinguished road

Maybe, but big torque is good.

I love my truck, I don't complain about it, I'm not bitchin.

But if they come out with a V8, I'm getting one.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:31 PM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

the need of power is in the foot of the beholder. There really isnt a point to a big engine if you dont really need it. I personally need just a tiny bit more power for towing, but i still got the H3 cauze it outshines most of the more powerfull trucks in almost every other aspect. Im still loving it, but if something more comes out in the h3, i might think about upgrading.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by usetosellhummer
comparing a full size GMC to the H3 is stupid
WHAT? It's all a matter of power vs. weight.

Geez, I sure hope some of you guys never make it on a study panel.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:51 PM
Banned

Donkey_Kong is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
WHAT? It's all a matter of power vs. weight.

Geez, I sure hope some of you guys never make it on a study panel.

Why don't you get their addresses so you can kick their asses zit kid.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

CLAYDOG is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck BB62
So the H3 Alpha gets a few inches longer. It gets a mile or two less per mpg. It'll need an HD frontend. You'd have to pay a few more thousand. Wanna bet me how many people on this forum woud jump TOMORROW if it were to come out with the 6.0 or V6 Dmax!?!

Sounds like your talkin' about a H2

If you look at the numbers comparing a I6 Envoy to a V8 Envoy Denali, mpg is almost identical.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:19 AM
Hummer Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLAYDOG
Sounds like your talkin' about a H2

If you look at the numbers comparing a I6 Envoy to a V8 Envoy Denali, mpg is almost identical.

Not really, the H2 needs an upgrade too. It needs more power because it's heavier'n hell and has the aerodynamics of a billboard. I've read over and over about H2s being upgraded with superchargers and now Dmax engines. Now why would they do that?

They are putting 6.0s in H3s, but I'd bet my hiking boots that they rest of the drivetrain wouldn't survive ten minute with it on the trail.

I read an article in Diesel Power Magazine where a guy put a Cummins in a new Power Wagon. If he seriously offroads it, he's gonna kill axle parts because they simply aren't rated for it.

It's gotta be a package. The H3 is marketed as a serious offroading machine. When people do that, they bust 'em. You can be careful and help out the situation, but the Alpha needs to be built. One look above, and you can see the eagerness for it. I want it. I don't want a heep (won't be getting one either) Don't want to put a Powerwagon on the trails here (toooooo big) I love our H3, it just needs a little upgrade to be perfect.

When/if the H3 V8 Alpha Adventure comes out, there's going to be a LOT of used H3s available so you folks that think they're perfect will be ecstatic!
Old 01-12-2007, 02:37 AM
Hummer Novice

KCJohn is off the scale

Ok just get out your checkbook. You guys who just gotta have more power can have it today, providing you are willing to put your money where your mouth is, and in some cases that would be QUITE a WAD of cash.

http://www.mashmotorsinc.com/index_files/Page346.htm

Don't know anything other than what the web site says.... but there you are!
Factory Rocker Panel Guards
Gobi Stealth Rack
Gobi Lader
Driving Lights(4)
Flood Lights (rear)
Tail Light Guards
Predator winch package
Old 01-12-2007, 03:43 AM
Hummer Authority

Viet Nam Vette is an unknown quantity at this point

$15..Large....
Old 01-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Hummer Expert

Yeah, that'd work how? Just how many ways to blow up other parts. It needs to be part of a package otherwise it'd make as much sense as bolting a JATO rocket on the roof.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Hummer Expert

H3.007 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just looked at the specs for a 2007 Yukon. Isn't that a heavier vehicle than the H3? If so, it is getting comparable gas mileage with a V8 and obviously more horses....

And would such a comparison be stupid?
Old 02-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Steve - SanJose

If only the real world gas mileage of the Yukon was even close to the EPA mpg numbers. Everything I've seen so far indicates mileage around 12mpg.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:59 PM
Hummer Veteran

JAYB1RD is on a distinguished road

What's wrong with the H3 drivetrain behind a V8? The rear axle is just a narrowed version of the 1/2ton pickup 10 bolt. The 4L60E trans. is what goes in the same trucks behind many 5.3L and 5.L7 V8s from the factory. The transfer case I admitedly don't know much about, but it looks VERY similar to the auto-trac transfercase which is also found in many fullsize 4WD GM trucks. That leaves the front axle as (IMO) the only part that isn't up to V8 power standards. Now, GM used to make a cast iron version of the mid-size IFS axle (I think it was the ZR2 S10), so I would venture to guess the H3 Alpha would have this as well.

In short, an H3 Alpha only needs a 5.3L V8 and a cast iron, locking, front diff in addition to the currrent H3 Adventure components to be a reality. If they want to throw in a body lift to clear the engine some more and maybe fit 35s, all the better
Old 02-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Hummer Expert

blindzebra is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree a 1 inch body lift with 35s would be my ideal H3. I love the articulation and that wouldn't change it abit. I would also say the alpha should come with the HPN shocks. All that and above, Good lord that would be one incredible stock vehicle.