H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 02-08-2007, 12:32 AM
Hummer Veteran

Crashtest is off the scale
Default H3 Leasing question

Let's say you have an H3 leased for 4 years or so. Can you decide to buy if you want to? How exactly are the payments calculated if you decide to buy? Are all lease payments you made counted towards it?

Could you also trade it in towards a newer model, or H2 to buy? How would that work?
Old 02-08-2007, 05:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

JAYB1RD is on a distinguished road
Default Re: H3 Leasing question

At the end of any lease you have the option to buy the vehicle for a price agreed upon when you sign the lease in the beginning. My 27 month 10,000miles a year lease has me paying for 70% of the vehicle when the lease is over, if I so choose (which I think I will!). So yes, each payment you make on the lease can go towards the purchase of said vehicle, much like a rent to own deal. You can't trade it in for something else because it is not your vehicle.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:09 AM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Guy is off the scale

actually, you can trade it in at any time in your lease. BUT...call the leasing bank and get your payoff for purchase. Say its 27,000. Have the car apraised. if it appraises for $25,000, it will essentially cost you 2 grand to end your lease early, and that ammount can be rolled into your new financing on the new car. In the rare case, it will appraise for more than you owe, but don't count on it...also, you will not get tax credits on a lease trade-in like you would if you owned it...

http://www.hummerguy.net
Old 02-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

nychot is on a distinguished road

are you just referring to gmac leases, or any car lease? as far as i know you can be penalized up the wazoo for ending a lease early. and its my understanding that companies like infinity financial services, from whom i have a leased car, won't permit such trades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer Guy
actually, you can trade it in at any time in your lease. BUT...call the leasing bank and get your payoff for purchase. Say its 27,000. Have the car apraised. if it appraises for $25,000, it will essentially cost you 2 grand to end your lease early, and that ammount can be rolled into your new financing on the new car. In the rare case, it will appraise for more than you owe, but don't count on it...also, you will not get tax credits on a lease trade-in like you would if you owned it...
Old 02-08-2007, 08:44 PM
Hummer Veteran

If you choose to buy, does the amount of miles you put on the car still matter? For example, if it's a 15k mile a year limit, and if you've put 20k a year? Do they charge extra?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:36 PM
Hummer Professional

HumbleAg is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashtest
If you choose to buy, does the amount of miles you put on the car still matter? For example, if it's a 15k mile a year limit, and if you've put 20k a year? Do they charge extra?

Nope, if you buy it, mileage doesn't matter. In fact, if mileage is high, you might be able to negotiate a better payoff, as it makes the car worth less money at auction. Every time I've returned a leased car, they've contacted me several times asking what it would take for me to purchase it, usually with offers several thousand less than the payoff amount on the lease agreement.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

Thanks.

I've had it for one year, let's say if I wanted to trade it in towards an H2, or even a newer model H3.

Would that be possible without existing my lease? Basically just transferring from car to car, to update it.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:29 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by nychot
are you just referring to gmac leases, or any car lease? as far as i know you can be penalized up the wazoo for ending a lease early. and its my understanding that companies like infinity financial services, from whom i have a leased car, won't permit such trades.

The bank who takes on the lease owns it...in most cases they'd rather you pay for the whole thing right then -- then they don't ever have to worry about selling it later or you making the rest of your payments. Like i said, you may be upside-down in your equity (most likely) so its not really penalties, its just the value that comes out-of-pocket..

I've also never heard of a restructuring a lease from one car to another...the only time you get that is when there is a special 'pull-ahead' program where GMAC or whoever may entice you for paying some of your final payments in order to get you into a new lease..

Old 02-09-2007, 04:27 AM
Hummer Veteran

Any ideas as to how much I'd have to pay in order to own it? Are all lease payments added up, and I pay the difference between what is left?
Old 02-09-2007, 04:48 AM
Hummer Authority

All you have to do is call the company who holds the lease (the bank) and they will tell you the payoff amount to the penny...

Old 02-09-2007, 05:24 AM
Hummer Veteran

Do you think this route is worth it? Or is it better to just get a newer model and not buy this one out? (I have the 2006 model)
Old 02-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Hummer Guru

usetosellhummer is an unknown quantity at this point

It all depends on what your plans are. A lease is great for people who trade out quick and limit miles, Or wash the lease out in thier busniess.
If yo plan to use it off-road and put more then 12 k a year you should buy, but buy right. Sounds like your are pretty new to this, check out the payment calculators on the GMAC site. I have never seen someone buy out a leased vehicle. 90% of the time I say them traded (huge loss of money on your part) or turned in with fees for milage, damage etc.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Hummer Expert

Vettster is on a distinguished road
Default Be real with yourself about the intended use of the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashtest
Do you think this route is worth it? Or is it better to just get a newer model and not buy this one out? (I have the 2006 model)

I leased a F250 a few years back and ended up using it for work and piling a bunch of miles on it.
Hated it. I was stuck with it for 4 years and could not get out from under it.
Went to turn it in and ended up buying it for less than what I owed on the excess mileage charges.