H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 02-14-2007, 04:19 AM
Hummer Novice

Beonly1 is on a distinguished road
Default Loving the SNOW!

I don't know if anyone else feels the same way, but I normally hate winter and snow with a passion. I lived most of my childhood in chicago or northwest indiana. Then lived on the east coast in Boston and NYC. I always hated the cold and particularly snow. Finally, 2 years ago I moved down to Tampa and loved the weather.

However; my mom took ill, hence had to return back home. But, promised myself that I would pick a vehicle that could really handle the weather and not get high centered. After much soul searching and research I bought an H3 in December. However; I had been disappointed about the lack of snow to try it out. Right now, to say I am LOVING it, would be a HUGE understatement.

Feels like Ferris Bueller when commenting about his Cameron father's Ferrari: " It is so choice. If you have the means I suggest you pick one up."

Doing donuts in the snow!

Anybody else?
?If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.?
?If you make an ass out of yourself, there will always be someone to ride you?

-Bruce Lee
Old 02-14-2007, 04:50 AM
Hummer Authority

Hummer Guy is off the scale
Default Re: Loving the SNOW!

I'm jealous!

http://www.hummerguy.net
Old 02-14-2007, 05:13 AM
Hummer Authority

K9sH3 is on a distinguished road

Just STHU!

I am having snow withdraws so bad and you make it worse

I am sorry that your situation with your mother made you leave FL, hope she is well. But on the bright side, you have a H3 and can again play in snow.
I had my 3 all loaded up and was going to drive back to DC to play in the snow and see family. But then I saw the forcasters all changing thier minds and I unpacked. Good thing now, they are getting ice.

Have fun! you lucky SOB...

Your a good person, that I can tell... You did the right thing. Cheers!
Old 02-14-2007, 07:06 AM
Hummer Expert

stagger_lee is on a distinguished road

Agreed. It is a beautiful thing, aint it? The best is driving by the clowns putting their chains on with your tongue out laughing. (I know california the only place that has chain laws). Have fun!

'06 Luxury Adventure
'99 Toyota 4runner 4x4
'71 FJ40
Old 02-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Hummer Novice

champipple is on a distinguished road

me too, here in indy we got blasted with snowy ice mix on top of wetheavy snow. Actually experienced my first break, meaning the wipers broke. I guess there's a circut breaker and a fuse in the wiper mech. yesterday the icy snow was so heavy he wipers stopped! LOL that was even more fun. No worries a little fuse swap and were good to go!

lata

pip
Old 02-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beonly1
But, promised myself that I would pick a vehicle that could really handle the weather and not get high centered. After much soul searching and research I bought an H3 in December. However; I had been disappointed about the lack of snow to try it out. Right now, to say I am LOVING it, would be a HUGE understatement.

Feels like Ferris Bueller when commenting about his Cameron father's Ferrari: " It is so choice. If you have the means I suggest you pick one up."

Doing donuts in the snow!

Anybody else?

Man i completely agree with you, im in chicago too, and its been hard the last couple of months, basically no snow, but now I'm loving it. Its only 6-8 inches which is nothing for the 3, but with the wind we got, you can find snow "dunes" as high as 2 feet or more. Thast what I did and the 3 still did great in snow. Im gona post so camera phone pics later today or tomorow. The old days of shoveling the snow to get outa the garage are over, i just drive out no problem. My garage is the only one on the block that has the snow up agains the door.

Im completely happy with my decision to go with the H3 rather than that prius (thats supposed to be a joke, even if its not so funny), they seem to be having a very difficult time.

Cant wait for more snow!
Old 02-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Hummer Authority

ChiHummer3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in "the burbs" south of Chicago....and I'm loving the snow! I used to
be one of those people driving the sports car with no traction. Now I'm one of the people pushing those sports cars out of the way.

Gotta love the H3! I feel like I can drive through anything!
Old 02-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Hummer Veteran

Disnydad is off the scale

I got out in the blizzard for a bit a short while ago and the H3 did great. One problem though was I bought and installed some wipers that I got at Tire Rack and they disintergrated. So the H3 is parked in the garage until I can get the wifes SRX to an auto parts store for some better wipers. This kind of explains why they were buy one get one free.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerHippy is on a distinguished road

Date line: Syracuse, NY. I woke to at least a foot of snow on the roads this morning. Not plowed very well. While there was a line of vehicles in the center lane of the highway going into town, I was in the passing lane, 4-Hi locked. BEAUTIFUL!
In a lesser vehicle, when I caught a pile of snow, I would have been toast. H3 wobbled a bit, took my foot off the gas , and kept going! if you ever wondered why a hipster would buy an H3, now you know. Everyone at worked asked me how it handled in this morning's drive. "It was great" I tell them.

I too bought wipers from tire rack. 2 for 1. They too "exploded" after a month. I have not looked into replacing them. One has duct tape holding it together. The other, I caught early, and didnt lose any parts, and gled it back together with epoxy! Ive said ealier, they dont like the sbnow and ice buildup on them, but in general, and for non winter driving, I really like the wipers.

Someone mentioned a Bosch wiper that they use on their H2. Looks similar to the Valeo. Perhaps better quality? dunno.

Y'all drive safely today!!!

Gone: 2006 Red H3, Aventure Pkg, 5 Speed, Monsoon, Brush Guard, Rubber Foor mats, Trailer package, Chrome Fuel door, Engine Block Heater.

"You?re making the choices about whether you want to drive a little extra more or not drive extra more."
29-Jul-2008
Old 02-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Hummer Veteran

Disnydad is off the scale

Okay, I got the H3 thawed out in the garage and brought the wipers inside. I put them back together with electrical tape and I am hoping that holds me till I can get some better wipers.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:51 AM
Hummer Novice

Congrats to those who can enjoy the snow and sorry to those who are without at the moment.

Just curious, what's the deepest amount of snow you guys have driven through without difficulty? Were you in standard hi unlocked ?
?If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.?

-Bruce Lee
Old 02-15-2007, 03:01 AM
Hummer Veteran

MountainBlue is on a distinguished road

We've had snow since just before x-mas!! Just got another couple inches today. I've driven through about 18"-2 feet, covering the running boards, on a dirt road. No tracks, No chains!! Had to go 4Lo to get through it and did high center it in about 3 1/2' in a ditch I couldn't see. I had to slow down to make a turn onto the "out of the woods" road and "thump". It was kind of freaky getting out of the truck and sinking into the snow up to my thigh! The 3 just sank and tires were completely off the snow spinning. Thankfully a good ol' boy came along and lent us some shovels to dig out the snow under the 3. Once the tires got back in the snow it pulled right out. Although it was fun, I don't think I'll be driving on that road without 4 chains on again. Snow that deep covers things you really don't want to hit or go into!!
Volant intake, Airaid TB spacer, Custom down pipe, Magnaflow dual Exhaust, NGK iridium plugs, Nitto TG -AT295/75/16, Brush guard, tail light guards, mud guards, Chrome Shorty Antenna & bracket, Chrome lower punch grill & lettering, Chrome side moldings, smoked side marker lenses, 3-D Hummer hitch plug, Body color spare cover, & of course DEBADGED!
Old 02-15-2007, 05:02 AM
Hummer Veteran

nychot is on a distinguished road

are you guys who are enjoying the snow using stock tires? if so, which ones and how do you feel about them? i took my 07 out in the snow this afternoon. a couple of inches over ice. the h3 had to be handled gently and at low speed, under 25 mph. i just stayed in normal 4wd. seems i did better with my 03 toy 4runner. the h3 just didnt feel as stable. but i was only out for about 10 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin8703
Man i completely agree with you, im in chicago too, and its been hard the last couple of months, basically no snow, but now I'm loving it. Its only 6-8 inches which is nothing for the 3, but with the wind we got, you can find snow "dunes" as high as 2 feet or more. Thast what I did and the 3 still did great in snow. Im gona post so camera phone pics later today or tomorow. The old days of shoveling the snow to get outa the garage are over, i just drive out no problem. My garage is the only one on the block that has the snow up agains the door.

Im completely happy with my decision to go with the H3 rather than that prius (thats supposed to be a joke, even if its not so funny), they seem to be having a very difficult time.

Cant wait for more snow!
Old 02-15-2007, 05:31 AM
Hummer Authority

I have my stock tires that came with the base package, which are teh 31 or 32 goodyear wranglers. Personally i havent had a problem with the 3 on ice, seems to handle pretty well. If im on ice i keep it in 4Hi Lock donno if it make sa difference.

Heres some snow pics, no action shots and nothing wild but its snow so its cool. These are cameral phone pics, so quality isnt the best:

Old 02-15-2007, 05:35 AM
Hummer Authority

heres some more, by the way the snow at that place was about 5-16 inches. Thats 5 inches of actual fallen snow but there were snow piles and dunes of over a foot. And its in a lot, the best place i could find.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:47 AM
Hummer Veteran

I swaped the goodyears from the 3 to my Xterra and put on Nitto TerraGrappler 295/75/16. They plow through anything NOT deep enough to high center the truck
Volant intake, Airaid TB spacer, Custom down pipe, Magnaflow dual Exhaust, NGK iridium plugs, Nitto TG -AT295/75/16, Brush guard, tail light guards, mud guards, Chrome Shorty Antenna & bracket, Chrome lower punch grill & lettering, Chrome side moldings, smoked side marker lenses, 3-D Hummer hitch plug, Body color spare cover, & of course DEBADGED!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Hummer Novice

I'm running the stock tires with the off road suspension package. I haven't had any issues with the ice. I've felt the occasional slip, but nothing like my previous cars.

The deepest amount of snow that I've driven through is about eight inches. Was a little suprised about the previous post about the H3 handling two feet of snow. But, looking forward to the challenge.

-Bruce Lee
Old 02-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Hummer Authority

I wouldnt say two feet, maybe more like foot and a half i think the 3 wont have a problem. With the 35 toyos im gona be putting on mine it will be able to take 2 feet.
I bet you can take on 2 feet stock with a running start, doubt it will high center on that, especially if the snow is fluffy.

From my experience i couldnt get the 3 stuck, that was the whole point of going to the lot and driving, i wanted to find its limit, but it wouldnt get stuck. It might get stoped and spin the tires, but you just flip into reverse and it slides right out. But then again if you drive into a ditch it might get stuck.

its alot of fun, i asked a toyota to join me but they declined, just watched me from the side. It was one of the smaller toyota suvs.

SNOW + HUMMER =

Edit: Now that i think about it you can probably make it through 2 feet of fresh snow with stock tires and in 4low locked, and if you got a rear locker thenm it'll be no problem. I dont have a locker.

Last edited by marin8703 : 02-15-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Lex_Ordo

Well, I'm sorry to report that I really hate the winter, and think I will retire somewhere warm. I don't care at all for the snow either,
But...

Yesterday, in our ice/ snow event, the H3 did extraordinarily well. Much better than I could have ever hoped. Every dope who shouldn't have been out driving was.
So while they were clogging up the main roads that were sort of plowed, I took the not so well plowed backroads to do my errands ,and it felt like nothing would stop me.

I even needed to pass by a stuck tractor trailer that didn't leave enough room to pass in the lane.

A shift in to Low Lock did the trick, as I climbed right over a big snow plow dump pile. Good thing it was ice. If it was soft, it might have given me a problem.
Old 02-16-2007, 12:46 AM
Hummer Veteran

I wouldn't try 2 feet with the stock 265 goodyears. My lifted X will do about a little over a foot with those tires but that's pushing it. The adventure 285's might have a better chance. 35's w/ torsion lift, no problem.