H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 12-08-2005, 06:36 PM

Modley is off the scale

Here's the story:

Last week I noticed the engine was running a little rough at idle.
The following day the engine light came on and would not go out. I took my H3 to the dealer the following morning. After about 30 minutes they came back and told me I had the same problem as two others they already had.

I'm not a engine expert to any means so I will do my best to explain what I was told.

To the best of GM's ability they think the computer is running the engine too lean causing a overheating condition in the cylinder. This causes the valves to burn and make it not seat well. This in return causes a low compression problem thus the computer engine light.

GM has told them to replace the entire head and everything related and update the computer code to fix the lean problem They have also been instructed to send in all replaced parts for them to examine.

That was Sat I called today to check and see the status and found out the now have 5 with this problem.

This is looking very bad.

I had 12,000 miles the previous two had 7 and 9 thousand.

He mentioned that they had a problem with the Colorado at one time with a similar issue but GM says this is different.

He told me that the head has to go into a machine shop to get worked when they get the parts.

GM told him they are getting more and more of these everyday.

I wonder how long it will be before they start a recall. I guess when they determine the exact course.

I wish I had never bought my H3. I shoulda known better.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:30 PM

Modley is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DarthKarl:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Modley:
Do you guys read my typing </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read my typing:

Troll

1. verb,noun: To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames; or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase “trolling for newbies” which in turn comes from mainstream “trolling”, a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look I did not come here looking to elicit a negative response I came here to ask

HAS ANY ONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM?

It seems to be no.

Thanks for you hospitality. Jacka**es
Old 12-09-2005, 01:53 PM

Modley is off the scale

Did you ever think that maybe I did't want to make my dealer look bad.

I'd really do not want to make Hummer or my dealer look bad.

The dealer has been very very good to me. The only problem is my Hummer is broke and the problem they are telling me I have is very troubling.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:14 PM

Modley is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
Six or seven in one dealership is one thing I have a hard time believing.
So, you are saying they are getting a bare cylinder head and they have to lap the valves to the head. However, if GM wanted this back for inspection, they would require the entire head with the valves, and which time they would send out another full head assembly. (Partsguy might jump in and straighten me out, just in case they don't offer a full head assembly; I will check tomorrow just out of curiosity).
If the tech who is working on the engine cannot lap the valves to the cylinder head, then you have a right to be worried. Installing the valves, keepers, springs, etc. are very easy, and the dealer has all the right tools in their tool kit. (Special tools they paid for from Kent-Moore.)
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you guys read my typing

"He said he could do it in house but he has hired a local machine shop to do it because "they do it every day". Or maybe it's because they have 5 of them. I don't know."
Old 12-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 12-09-2005, 01:37 PM

Modley is off the scale

He does have it and I'll be glad to provide you with verification. How do you want to do it. You want me to conference you in with the dealer? You want to call them with me on the phone? As long as it's fair.

I'm starting to think you guys are the Trolls

I have told everyone here exactly what the dealer told me.

I have nothing to Hide.

I don't know if my dealer is BSin me that's why I came to this forum.

To find out if anyone else is experiencing the same issue.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:31 PM
Hummer Expert

DarthKarl is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Modley:
Thanks for you hospitality. Jacka**es </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Come on back now, ya hear"
Old 12-08-2005, 07:43 PM

Modley is off the scale

He said the head has to be fitted to the valves or something. Like they had to be matched. He said is more of a polish/sandpaper thing. He said he could do it in house but he has hired a local machine shop to do it because "they do it every day". Or maybe it's because they have 5 of them. I don't know.

This is a fairly large hummer dealer they sell 40+ H3's a month.

Hell I don't know maybe they are lying to me and their out muddin.

As far as the "I guess all other trucks/SUVs/cars, etc., can never break...damn, wish I had known that."

I have never had a vehicle with this large a problem after only 12000 miles. Actually never less then 130,000 miles. In fact I don't know of anyone with this large a problem on this many vehicles.

Maybe I've just been lucky

Come one 5 in two weeks?
Old 12-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Hummer Veteran

RMST is off the scale

Hey guys listen to Burgundy(Modley), he sounds like some SCHOOLGIRL B*TCH!!!
Old 12-08-2005, 07:02 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

I wish I had never bought my H3. I shoulda known better. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When your first post ends with that line, expect to get some sh!t for it.

Sucks you're having problems, but that's what warranty is for. Could you maybe go into more detail on the symptoms so others on here would know what to look for. Just in case this does become a common problem.

Old 12-08-2005, 08:19 PM
Hummer Guru

Now as far as your Prius/Electric/Camel comment's. You can shove those flamer so called vehicles right up u know where.

Man u guys r a**holes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why thank you very much. Then again, you are not the first to call me that, and I would bet a year's salary, you won't be the last.
Have a great day....Goodbye, I know when I'm not wanted.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:26 PM
Hummer Authority

partsguy is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by f5fstop:
So, you are saying they are getting a bare cylinder head and they have to lap the valves to the head. However, if GM wanted this back for inspection, they would require the entire head with the valves, and which time they would send out another full head assembly. (Partsguy might jump in and straighten me out, just in case they don't offer a full head assembly; I will check tomorrow just out of curiosity).
If the tech who is working on the engine cannot lap the valves to the cylinder head, then you have a right to be worried. Installing the valves, keepers, springs, etc. are very easy, and the dealer has all the right tools in their tool kit. (Special tools they paid for from Kent-Moore.)
Would hope they are not out muddin' but for a dealer to make these statements make me think the dealer is full of poopie (that's a politically correct word for **** ).
As for miles on vehicles and repairs, you appear to have been very lucky over the years.
In the past ten years, I have had the following experiences with cars:
1995 SSEi - Updated Calibration
1996 SSEi - Nothing
1997 Jeep - Exhaust manifold, ignition coil, cylinder head, timing chain, all withing 12K, then nothing for another 20+K. Guess the dealer finally got it right.
1998 SSEi - Recalibration and new floor mats
1998 Cadillac Caterra - Nothing big, but in one year, 14 trips (half towed) to the dealer
1999 Corvette - Nothing until I took it apart and modified it, which I'm still doing.
1999 GTP - Nothing
2001 GTP - Head up display replaced
2003 Corvette - Three trips to dealer (one was for a broken ignition key ring attachment)
2003 Jeep Wrangler - Spark plug, exhaust manifold.

I guess what I'm saying is that some cars break, some don't.

Yes, we do defend the H3, but look at this logically. Your first post is full of ambiguous and far fetech statements, and again, your last sentence makes you appear to be a troll.
I understand there are people out there who actually believe what a service person says, but for many of us, we believe half of what they say and ignore the other half. </div></BLOCKQUOTE><span class="ev_code_RED">Don't involve me(even if you are correct .Loaded heads would be the cheapest way for GM to go.Why would they pay the labor rate to assemble said bare heads.I think this person has been BS"d by a service person who made somthing up to make up for time spent in the service dept.[COLOR:RED]Someone forgot to order some[COLOR:RED]thing or did't know what was wrong to begin with.If your full of it shame on ya!! If not I"m sorry but,You need to talk with the service Mgr.</span> [/color][/color]
Old 12-09-2005, 04:17 PM

Modley is off the scale

GD is it that hard to understand?

First:
I loved my Hummer until it broke the F down. So I started to wish I hadn't bought it. Simple

Second:

The dealer has been great. The product is starting not to look so great.

I wouldn't blame BestBuy because a Sony TV broke. I'd blame Sony.
I wouldn't have a problem with BestBuy unless the wouldn't help replace or fix it.

So far the dealer has been great.

God I can't believe I have to explain this!

I tell you what I really am starting to wish is I hadn't found this web site with a bunch of jacka**es that want to give me a hard time.

So Timgco have you called back?
Old 12-08-2005, 06:36 PM

Modley is off the scale

Here's the story:

Last week I noticed the engine was running a little rough at idle.
The following day the engine light came on and would not go out. I took my H3 to the dealer the following morning. After about 30 minutes they came back and told me I had the same problem as two others they already had.

I'm not a engine expert to any means so I will do my best to explain what I was told.

To the best of GM's ability they think the computer is running the engine too lean causing a overheating condition in the cylinder. This causes the valves to burn and make it not seat well. This in return causes a low compression problem thus the computer engine light.

GM has told them to replace the entire head and everything related and update the computer code to fix the lean problem They have also been instructed to send in all replaced parts for them to examine.

That was Sat I called today to check and see the status and found out the now have 5 with this problem.

This is looking very bad.

I had 12,000 miles the previous two had 7 and 9 thousand.

He mentioned that they had a problem with the Colorado at one time with a similar issue but GM says this is different.

He told me that the head has to go into a machine shop to get worked when they get the parts.

GM told him they are getting more and more of these everyday.

I wonder how long it will be before they start a recall. I guess when they determine the exact course.

I wish I had never bought my H3. I shoulda known better.
Old 12-09-2005, 01:03 AM

Modley is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by partsguy:
Would hope they are not out muddin' but for a dealer to make these statements make me think the dealer is full of poopie (that's a politically correct word for **** ).
As for miles on vehicles and repairs, you appear to have been very lucky over the years.
In the past ten years, I have had the following experiences with cars:
1995 SSEi - Updated Calibration
1996 SSEi - Nothing
1997 Jeep - Exhaust manifold, ignition coil, cylinder head, timing chain, all withing 12K, then nothing for another 20+K. Guess the dealer finally got it right.
1998 SSEi - Recalibration and new floor mats
1998 Cadillac Caterra - Nothing big, but in one year, 14 trips (half towed) to the dealer
1999 Corvette - Nothing until I took it apart and modified it, which I'm still doing.
1999 GTP - Nothing
2001 GTP - Head up display replaced
2003 Corvette - Three trips to dealer (one was for a broken ignition key ring attachment)
2003 Jeep Wrangler - Spark plug, exhaust manifold.

I guess what I'm saying is that some cars break, some don't.

Yes, we do defend the H3, but look at this logically. Your first post is full of ambiguous and far fetech statements, and again, your last sentence makes you appear to be a troll.
I understand there are people out there who actually believe what a service person says, but for many of us, we believe half of what they say and ignore the other half. </div></BLOCKQUOTE><span class="ev_code_RED">Don't involve me(even if you are correct .Loaded heads would be the cheapest way for GM to go.Why would they pay the labor rate to assemble said bare heads.I think this person has been BS"d by a service person who made somthing up to make up for time spent in the service dept.[COLOR:RED]Someone forgot to order some[COLOR:RED]thing or did't know what was wrong to begin with.If your full of it shame on ya!! If not I"m sorry but,You need to talk with the service Mgr.</span> [/color][/color] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand. Maybe I am being BS'd by the dealer. The next dealer is 220 miles away so I kinda have to go by what they are telling me.

I'm assuming F5 has the ability to look it up. So we will see.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:59 AM
Hummer Guru

Just PM me with the last eight digits of your VIN. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just sent it to you. I would love to know if I'm being BS'd </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Strange, didn't get it.

As for why there is not a recall if it is a calibration.

If this is a legitimate thread, it takes time to write a calibration. The problem has to be analyzed. Makes no sense to go out with a new calibration that could cause other problems.
If an engine is burning too lean, destroying valves, then it does not make sense to richen up the mixture, and have another problem pop up. In other words, you just can't fix a lean condition, and every time an engine calibration is changed, it has to be emission certified.
In addition, it could be what is called a "quality spill." Heads may actually be the problem and only certain ones are affected. (Similar to the rear axle problem early in the game.)
Then again, if it is only five or ten H3s that have shown up, out of 28K that have been sold, this won't even attract attention.
TAC will send a report to the powertrain engineering report, but if it just started it takes time to come out with a repair.

They have quite a few of these H3s in the GM fleet, some with loads of miles, and I have not heard a thing about this problem (doesn't mean it does not exist).
Old 12-15-2005, 01:04 AM
Hummer Veteran

BigBill is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NEOCON1:
this many vehicles ? you said you heard of two besides yours thats not many </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Give the guy a break!

Let's focus on the real issue - is there a problem with the engine overheating causing a seal break in the head?

2 vehicles? Yes I realize the numbers aren't a lot, but on a new vehicle, I would think that having 2 occurrences of the same issue might warrant an investigation.

Just my .02!

Bill
Old 12-11-2005, 11:13 AM
Hummer Guru

I guess all I have to say to you, is shove it where the sun does not shine, and if you are to quote me and call me a hypocrite, then post the entire thread.

http://elcova.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/2706067735/m/5...271055641#3271055641

In the first quote, I'm referring to the dealer's service adviser and/or in some cases the service manager. In the second, I'm referring to factory trained technicians diagnosing a problem. As a so-called ASE certified technician, I guess I was wrong in assuming you understood how some dealership employees like to stretch the truth to make the customer have a good feeling that they are not the only ones having problems. As a so-called ASE certified technician, and for those who work in most dealerships, they probably not only understand this, but are amused and sometimes peed off at what the advisers and SM will sometimes tell a customer.

This is the second time you have accused me of not being a GM employee. What you think is of no concern to me. Read the thread I posted, and understand the English language. You originally stated it sounds like brakes, and mentioned the transmission, all I did was explain how some of the newer transmission are programmed, and I mentioned it was hard to diagnose not being there personally. I guess I assumed wrong in thinking that you, as a so-called ASE certified technician, would understand how hard it is to diagnose a problem from hundreds of miles away, without being at the vehicle.

Yes, some people have problems with their H3, I have been lucky in not having anything wrong with mine...so far. Hell, I could go out today and blow the engine. However, I am not the only one on this site who has had no problems with my H3, there are plenty of others.

Modley's first post to this forum was exactly what a troll would do, and I have since corrected this to say that it now appears to be a legitimate problem with his vehicle. I still see nothing in regard to a problem nationwide.

As for being a PR guy for GM, well, I won't even dignify that remark with an answer, but I will say there are plenty of people on this site who know that I am who I say I am; if for any reason other than they have received emails from my GM.COM address.

So, you have a nice day, and as far as BCMs shipping, maybe someone else will answer that one for you.
Old 12-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Hummer Guru

timgco is an unknown quantity at this point

I CALL BS! Prove me wrong. What dealer? What service writer?
Old 12-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Memphis..... hmmmm.... over by Wolfchase. Been there.

I think this thread is very boring, but it interests me.