H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 07-03-2007, 06:29 AM
Hummer Veteran

pdsq99f4 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: '06 Real Power Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve - SanJose
Only the V8 will cure the need for power. Regarding the 3.5 to 3.7 difference, it sounds like most are saying the difference is small.

Sorry to say, I'm pretty disappointed with the 5.3L alpha power. Really was expecting more. I'm sure that you can get a lot more power from one though with the normal, cold air intake, exhaust and a tune mods. I really think the 3.7 is a pretty good improvement over the 3.5 especially in the lower end. I mean 20hp is almost 10%.

I don't see why people don't think the PCM reflash works. I personally tune vehicles and have had great success in the drivability on the H3, especially if larger tires are installed. Unfortunately I don't have any dyno numbers since I don't have a dyno, but everyone I've tuned says "Everyone should do this."

Just my .02
Pete
Old 07-03-2007, 03:46 PM
Steve - SanJose

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdsq99f4
I don't see why people don't think the PCM reflash works. I personally tune vehicles and have had great success in the drivability on the H3, especially if larger tires are installed. Unfortunately I don't have any dyno numbers since I don't have a dyno, but everyone I've tuned says "Everyone should do this."

Just my .02
Pete

Yea we've heard that before (on various infocommercials here), especially the part about not having dyno numbers.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by usetosellhummer
it is small. but the v-8 seems like overkill. i will buy a H2 if i want a v-8.
the I-5 has character and I love watching faces when I say "it's a 5 banger"

i took a family on hells a couple weeks ago . and when they asked what was under the hood , i said a little 3.5L 5 cyl. tractor motor they were amazed . didant even know that there were 5 cyl. engines
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "
Old 07-03-2007, 10:26 PM
comph

Gentlemen, I just had a simple question. I am not a troll, trying to start an argument. I thank those, who basically told me that there is not much that can be done with improving on-road performance. That is all I need to know. Yes, I did test drive the H3 before I bought it, and yes, I didn't expect that it is a race car, but I can't test drive the car to it's limits. I don't think that my question deserved that degree of hostility and insults. Don't worry, I'll never bother any of you again. I don't need this.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Steve - SanJose

Quote:
Originally Posted by usetosellhummer
it is small. but the v-8 seems like overkill. i will buy a H2 if i want a v-8.
the I-5 has character and I love watching faces when I say "it's a 5 banger"

This is America and there's no such thing as an automotive overkill!
Old 07-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Hummer Veteran

MUD4ME is on a distinguished road

I have an 07' and did CAI and throttle body. Big diff! And I live in TEXAS where the daily average is 100 and 100% humidity! The air down here in the Gulf Coast region is like sucking a sauna thru your intake.

2007 H3, Traded the H2, Custom grill guard, Warn winch, Custom roof rack w/ 4 KC lights and High Lift jack, Custom under body protection, Gibson cat back, Volant CAI, Throttle body spacer, Custom rock rails, Full audio system, Air, More to come!

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND OUR ARMED FORCES!

RLTW!! you get it if you get it.....

www.operatorsedge.com

www.hummeraccessories.cc
Old 07-09-2007, 05:01 AM
Hummer Novice

aws86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by comph
I just came from a fairly long trip, 3.3k miles, Southern California, Oregon, Nevada, Southern California. Mixed on/off road, but mostly on. It was often over 100 deg temp. I noticed that the only things that didn't pass me up hills were Winibagos and 18 wheelers. Even the little Honda Elements were buzzing by me. I read about boosting the power via cold air intakes and different exhausts, but don't know what to believe. Could you guys advice me, preferrably through real experience? I would be most appreciative. Right now I am ready to sell....

What? You don't get the fuel economy of a Prius, the acceleration of an indy car and the off road ability of an H1? You must not have the same H3 I do.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by aws86
What? You don't get the fuel economy of a Prius, the acceleration of an indy car and the off road ability of an H1? You must not have the same H3 I do.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Steve - SanJose

Talking Re: '06 Real Power Improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by aws86

It must be the 5 speed manual tranny that gives your H3 supernatural abilities.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:32 AM
Hummer Professional

ChevyHighPerformance is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD4ME
I have an 07' and did CAI and throttle body. Big diff! And I live in TEXAS where the daily average is 100 and 100% humidity! The air down here in the Gulf Coast region is like sucking a sauna thru your intake.

Did you get a new throttle body or did you get a spacer?
Old 07-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

6pack is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with you comph. And I've received the same response you're getting... from other sites also. It seems a lot of H3 owners are really sensitive about the power issue. And the only response they have to give is abuse. There is absolutely no reason we can't improve the power of this vehicle and there is no reason for those of us that want to do this to get so much grief from other forum members. These kind of responses have soured me more on this vehicle more than anything about this truck ever would.
In response to your question, there are the normal bolt-ons but there are also turbos and superchargers made for your year. Although the sc's and turbo's are a considerable investment. I've been searching the Colorado forums for internal engine upgrades as well, but haven't come across anything but custom, one-off stuff. So far, I've added a Gibson cat-back and a tune from pcmforless.com and have noticed a small increase in power. I'm waiting for K&N to come out with there 07 kit (BTW, there is nothing wrong with oiled-filters as long as they are oiled properly and maintained correctly). The superchargers and turbos for my year are also not ready yet, hopefully by the end of the year.
Don't give up the forums, there's only a few of us that think it's not sacrilage to say this truck is slow, I could use the company.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Hummer Guru

Sewie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6pack
I'm with you comph. And I've received the same response you're getting... from other sites also. It seems a lot of H3 owners are really sensitive about the power issue. And the only response they have to give is abuse.

It's not sensitivity. It's being sick of the question. You have to understand that this conversation has been had over and over for the last two years, on this and other forums. Plus its been in just about every magazine and online article about the H3 since it came out. The topic has been beaten to death.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:14 PM
Steve - SanJose

Yep current H3 (and H2's and H1's) are slow compared to most of the street-oriented SUV's. Nothing new there.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:01 AM
Hummer Authority

That and the fact that most people looking for more power think it comes from a bottle at Autozone. We're saying it doesn't.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Hummer Veteran

6pack is an unknown quantity at this point

I know it doesn't come in a bottle, and I'm sure many other people know that also. I've been working on trucks/cars for over 25 years from Mustangs to this truck and other trucks and passenger cars. I know what it takes to improve power and I know what the limiting circumstances are of certain vehicles. These responses take people that could be a very good contributer to the site and just run them away. If you all are that sick of hearing the question, why doesn't one of you just say that and then everyone else just keep to themselves? There is no reason for everyone piling on like this.
Sorry for ranting like this, I'm not like this normally, but I seem to be as sick of this response as you are of the question.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:46 AM
Hummer Novice

A.Anderson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisha Haddan H3

Questionable mods (your results may vary):

Throttle body spacers, PCM re-program, electric engine fan, exhaust headers and cat-back (if tested and tuned for power instead of sound on the 3.5 or 3.7L application).

Actually (as noted and claimed by many others) the H3 leaves a lot on the table as far as tuning. Good differences in throttle response and passing power along with 1-3 mpg are to be had with good aftermarket custom programming.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:46 AM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 07-16-2007, 05:15 PM
Hummer Veteran

PA-H3 is on a distinguished road

Over the weekend went up to Up Sate New York on I-476. Anybody that doesn't know its a road that is very hilly and allot of truckers do not like it. I kept the cruise control at 65-70 no problem even threw 500 ft inclines (used the magellon). and was only passed by the crazys doing 90... I found my 3.7L just fine and I still got 18.3 (give or take a .5 gals) mpg. I don't know why people say the H3 is under powered? I must have passed about 20 jeeps and other bigger Suvs with ease. I even raced a couple of guys up the steeper inclines and never tached more than 3700 rpm. I know out west has steeper mountains but really 4000+ rpm up a hill how fast do you need to go?? But hey thats just my 2 cents...
Old 07-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Anderson
Actually (as noted and claimed by many others) the H3 leaves a lot on the table as far as tuning. Good differences in throttle response and passing power along with 1-3 mpg are to be had with good aftermarket custom programming.

As I said, "your results may vary". But remember this if you choose to tune:

1. You're buying blind. Unless you examine the tuning tables and know what to look for, you don't know what you're buying. If you do know what you're doing, you should program it yourself.

2. Watch out for extravagant claims. GM would sell their soul to squeeze an extra 20 HP while getting 1-3 mpg more out of their trucks, with improvements in reliability and durability. If it's possible with a PCM change, why haven't they hired these programming geniuses?

3. Not all tunes are created equal, though the claims are all the same. Insist on dyno results for your make, model, engine and tranny, and a detailed list of changes, benefits and risks. Anyone can give a testimonial.

4. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Everything has a trade-off, even when it works as advertised. More power means more fuel used. Better throttle response means jack-rabbit starts and lower fuel economy. Tuning for one application (towing, racing, street, highway, etc), may reduce performance in others. Firmer shifting means more drivetrain stress.

5. Cost of ownership is more than just price + shipping. You will void your warranty. You will pay more for gas (if tuned for premium). You will pay to re-flash after dealer updates and after hardware changes (tire size, intakes, exhaust). Then there are hidden costs of reduced reliability and potential damage to your engine and drivetrain.

6. Assuming the programming works, it offers the most bang with modded - not stock - vehicles. Proper programming can accommodate changes in tire size, gearing, cams, throttle bodies, injectors, transmission parts, etc. But can it make internal combustion more efficient?

7. No warranties, guarantees or refunds. Sorry, not available. If you damage your drivetrain or aren't satisfied, it's your wallet on the line. (Remember, your tune voided GM's warranty too)

Ultimately, remember "caveat emptor" ... let the buyer beware. Your results may vary.

Last edited by Wisha Haddan H3 : 07-16-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Hummer Veteran

graydog is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by comph
Gentlemen, I just had a simple question. I am not a troll, trying to start an argument. I thank those, who basically told me that there is not much that can be done with improving on-road performance. That is all I need to know. Yes, I did test drive the H3 before I bought it, and yes, I didn't expect that it is a race car, but I can't test drive the car to it's limits. I don't think that my question deserved that degree of hostility and insults. Don't worry, I'll never bother any of you again. I don't need this.
Dont let the smartasses get to you, none of them will ever admit you are right. they all bought turds and they know it. they ALL wish they had more power. some just wont admit it.