H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 07-15-2005, 05:05 AM

Gillis-Smith (SO LR) is off the scale

I am a regular member of the Socal forum and thought I would post this to a larger audience. Photo album is first and then the questions.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:05 AM

I am a regular member of the Socal forum and thought I would post this to a larger audience. Photo album is first and then the questions.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:08 AM

Well, I just got back from taking my 94 H1 from LA to the Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, Durango, Ouray, Teluride, and Moab, 2500 miles in 10 days camping with the family. Things went great, but we had a bit more adventure in Moab than I was hoping for. After a mellow morning we talked to a Jeeper couple that recommended getting back to the highway through Kane Springs Creek, no problem with an H1 they said. BTW, I was aired down to about 22 psi on 38.5x14.5x16.5 Swamper TSL/SXs. Well, the road is very narrow and more than once I had to hang one tire off of the road (cliff) to get around some large rocks. Eventually we ended up in the creek bottom and after many crossings we had a longer creek section to run. A large, 12' diameter rock sat at the edge of the water allowing plenty of space to go around. We proceeded through and as the water reached about 2' deep near the rock, I added power to get out of the deepening water. After feeling two impacts to the vehicle, we hobbled out of the water. By the way, if I did not have the Detroit lockers, I would have been dead in the water. I exited to find the front left tire missing and the rear one wrapped around a destroyed aluminum rim. After 2 hours of installing the spare and moving the least damaged tire to the least damaged rim, we crawled several sets of 2-3 foot rock stairs out of the canyon and made it back to Moab in time for the fireworks.

So here is my question. Does anyone run beadlocks on their H1? I have heard that beadlocks are only for vehicles less than 6500 lbs if doing lots of freeway driving. They are also not legal in some states.

Next question, if beadlocks are out, then I have heard that 16.5 are used for military compatibility with other high load trucks. The x.5 rims are for high load trucks and have a much smaller bead and tend to come off easier. By going with a 16 or 17" rim, I will have a much better bead engagement. Does anyone run 16 or 17"? What are your thoughts?

Greg
SO LR
Old 07-15-2005, 03:34 PM
Hummer Expert

NoMoGMPG is an unknown quantity at this point

First off, I notice that you have the wrong offset rim and that it looks like a regular 3/4-1 ton Eagle rim. These are very poor performers on an H1. The 2 piece steel factory rim without runflats but with the full beadlock, it looks like a large flat PVC pipe, is probably the best stock arrangement for what you're doing. If I did nothing but rock crawling, these would be the ones I would use.

There are aftermarket beadlocks that allow 0 psi available, Staun I believe is the name, and they have been given very high marks as well.
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 07-16-2005, 12:37 AM

Thanks for your notes. Why has the Eagle rim been a poor performer?

This vehicle had the original run flats on it when I bought it, but the dealer was the only one with the tool that I could find and they were charging $200 per rim to mount new tires plus the tire cost.

I assume that the best place for factory bead locks is Lynch. Any other recommendations?

The last time I checked with Staun, they weren't available for 16.5 yet.

I also this vehicle to go long distances on my way to Arizona, Colorado, Utah, and northern California, so the rims need to be good for highway use too.

Thanks again for your input.
Greg
Old 07-16-2005, 08:46 PM
Hummer Expert

NoMoGMPG is an unknown quantity at this point

The Eagle rim is not rated for the weight and stress that an H1 will put on the rim. I believe the minimum rating is 3400 lbs. It does not surprise me that your rim folded when it struck that underwater ledge. Cepek 17" rims can take a Staun beadlock, the PVC beadlock for the factory 2 piece 16.5" wheel is nearly as good as the Staun in that it locks both beads securely at very low pressures (1-10psi).
1999 AMGeneral H1 6.5TD BLACK Wagon e-Lockers Front and Back, Rubberduck4x4 RockTubes, Extended Undercarriage Protection,"Big Duck" 2" body lift/2 1/2" suspension lift, 41" IROK Radials on 17" Cepeks w/Rock Rims, (in process)Centered front diff, 3.08 gears, 12k Brakes and 12k halfshafts
Old 07-17-2005, 04:27 PM
Hummer Expert

Beastmaster is off the scale

I used to run Eagle 589's - I don't any more.

The rim is barely within the load limits for an unloaded open top.

In order for you to run a safe rim, I recommend either the 16.5" 12 bolt two piece steel rim and run PVC beadlocks, or you run the 17" two piece factory rim. The 16.5" and 17" factory rims are DOT approved.

In both cases, the wheels are made by Hutchinson.

Other H1 owners have run High-Impact/Allied beadlocks in 17", as well as Walker Evans and GT/Cepek rims in 17" that are cold forged aluminum.

If you want to stick with 16.5, do the steel 2 piece military 12-bolt rims. You can find them surplus on ebay for about 100-120 a rim. The beadlocks are about 200 bucks for 4 from usa6x6.com.

Hope this helps,
Steve