H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-22-2007, 09:47 AM
Hummer Veteran

vlxjim is on a distinguished road
Default Ultimate iPod adaptor and 10Min install

I just finished installing the American International Neucleus NC-X2i in my 2006 H2. After much research I found this little gem that you could install in less than 10 minutes. With full Text and iPod function over the iPod using the radio and steering wheel controls. There are no special labels that you need for the play list like on other units out there you can also use the iPods controls as well. This is not some poor quality RF solution either. This is a high sound quality wired in pre amp level adapter. As a bonus you also get an auxiliary input that you can hook up your DVD sound to or other pre amp source to.

This write up will show the installation on a H2 with Nav and XM. This install is the same for the single and 6 disk in dash as well. Read the install instructions that come with the Neucleus NC-X2i and the NC-GM32T harness. I have no affiliation with American International and I?m sharing the install experience that I had. Do this at your own risk.

The only parts that you well need are the Neucleus NC-X2i and the NC-GM32T harness. You will also need a few zip ties.
Name:  iPod install 1.jpg
Views: 4177
Size:  48.1 KB

I will now go into the details of this quick install. You will need only one tool for this a 9/32 socket to remove the three screws at the bottom of the glove box. Start out by removing the three screws at the bottom of the glove box. You will find the XM unit right behind the glove box.
Name:  iPod install 2.jpg
Views: 4186
Size:  52.5 KB

Here is the XM unit. You need to remove the top plug buy first pulling out the blue clip about 1/8?on the plug and then push the little locking lever down while pulling the plug out.

Name:  iPod install 5.jpg
Views: 4138
Size:  60.3 KB

Using the NC-GM32T harness, take the plug that you just removed from the XM unit and plug it into the harness. Now plug the harness into the XM unit.
Name:  iPod install 4.jpg
Views: 3992
Size:  54.9 KB

It should now look like this.
Name:  iPod install 6.jpg
Views: 3932
Size:  66.0 KB

What I did was wrap the Neucleus NC-X2i in a piece of foam like this.
Name:  iPod install 3.jpg
Views: 3815
Size:  51.1 KB

Next plug the Neucleus NC-X2i into the harness. Route the iPod cord to were you want the iPod to be. I mounted my iPod in the left side of the glove box you may want it to be somewhere else. Now plug the iPod cord into the Neucleus NC-X2iIt will look something like this.
Name:  iPod install 7.jpg
Views: 3716
Size:  62.2 KB

Now tuck the Neucleus NC-X2i and its cords away like this. IMPORTANT turn on your radio but don?t touch the radio controls for a few minutes while the radio learns the Neucleus NC-X2i.
Name:  iPod install 8.jpg
Views: 3577
Size:  69.4 KB

While your waiting reinstall the glove box. Plug in your iPod.
Name:  iPod install 10.jpg
Views: 5005
Size:  53.3 KB

That is all that there is to it. By using the preset button #1 you can now toggle between iPod, Aux in and XM mode.
Name:  iPod install 11.jpg
Views: 3368
Size:  73.8 KB
Name:  iPod install 12.jpg
Views: 3297
Size:  66.8 KB
Name:  iPod install 13.jpg
Views: 3256
Size:  69.4 KB

I used three different iPods a 15gig 3G, 60 gig 5G video and a 4gig Nano. They all worked well I did note that the older 3G was a little slower (a small delay when changing songs using the radios controls) than the two newer iPods. I did talk to American Internationals customer service and they were a very helpful and knew there product. I don?t think that there is a better solution at this time for this application. I will be posting update to this as needed.

As far as I know this is the same install for most GM SUV?s and trucks.

I hope this has helped some of you H2 owners.

Name:  H2fssm.jpg
Views: 3735
Size:  105.8 KB

Last edited by vlxjim : 02-22-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

genob is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ultimate iPod adaptor and 10Min install

nice post! i've been debating on which of the "several" units out there i was going to use...

i'm ordering my NC-X2i today for my h2.

geno
Old 02-22-2007, 09:58 PM
Hummer Veteran

Cesardajr is on a distinguished road

One question does the adapter unit charge your ipod while you use it also?
Thanks
37x12.50xR17 BFG Mud Terrain's
Ready Lift Front Leveling Kit 2 1/2"
Cognito Steering Support Kit
Cognito Idler Pivot Kit
Fabtech Steering Stabilizer
Fabtech Tie Rods
Power Slot Slotted Rotors
Crown Performance Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Off Road Unlimited Black Diff Cover & RP Diff Fluid
Hypertech Power Programmer
True Flow Foam Air Filter
Old 02-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Hummer Veteran

Yes it does charge your iPod and turns off after about 20 min. when you remove your key and open yor door.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:56 AM
Hummer Veteran

Gunzz is off the scale

That was a great review on your install. Although mine has already been done (through an installer) it is nice to learn more information. I now know where the original XM box is located etc.... Great pics too.

Old 02-23-2007, 04:04 AM
Hummer Authority

MovinH2 is off the scale

I have a Nav, but no XM unit. Will it still work?
Old 02-23-2007, 06:51 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Cost of the unit? And, if you don't have XM, is the module still there?

'03 H2
Old 02-23-2007, 07:55 AM
Hummer Veteran

Genob, Gunzz,
Thanks, I hope it helps out. When I was first looking to see what was out there I found others products that would work but there install required a relay if you wanted to keep your XM or you needed to cut into you factory wiring harness. This product made since.

As far as not having XM, there is a harness for that application as well the part # for that is NC-GM31T but I believe that the installation is different. I think that you need to get behind the head unit to plug it in. But I’m not sure.

As far as cost I have found them for $150 - $200 just make sure that you get it from a dealer that keeps newer stock so you get the more updated firmware in the unit. I found some dealers that had older units in stock. You might tell your dealer to order you a new one.

I will try to put a list of dealers that are good to go with that have current stock. I will see if A.I. can get me a few names.

Last edited by vlxjim : 02-23-2007 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Hummer Veteran

hummer.dad is on a distinguished road

I would be interested in getting one of these. I've been waiting for a good alternative to the DLO transpod. If you get a list of dealers please post.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Hummer Veteran

LV_H2 is on a distinguished road

I just installed the Nucleus NC-X2i last night in my 2007 H2 (NAV/XM). Thanks to vlxjim, it was a breeze. It took me 15 minutes (as I was working in the garage at night).

Review:

1) The sound is perfect for the music, however, I am getting a lot of backround "white noise" when using Onstar. I will be calling AI today for advice.

2) The iPod is fully controllable via the NAV screen, but "scrolling" is a bit tedious as it is slower to scroll than on the native iPod. But again, fully functional!

3) The Nucleus unit that I got (sealed package) had instructions for installation, but no instructions for use. In doing some research, I realized that this is essentially the same unit at the Peripheral PXDPGMT and the website at www.peripheralelectronics.com had a downloadable instruction manual.

4) Controlling the unit via the NAV screen is a bit confusing, because you are using the six XM preset buttons (which may have labels of preset XM stations), but you are using them as Button #1/#2/#3/#4/#5/#6 and you need to memorize what function each button has. Having said that, it's not rocket science and once you memorize what each button does, you can fully control the ipod.

5) Best of all, it is a quick installation and no damage to the original wiring. Thus if you have a problem or don't like it, or a better solution comes along in the future, you will be able to uninstall or switch out in a breeze.

6) I did not use vlxjim's foam and wrap method. I was able to securely tuck the ipod adapter unit and wiring into the plastic housing BELOW the glovebox.

Thanks again vlxjim.

2007 Victory Red LE H2
2005 Yellow H2 - Traded
2004 Victory Red LE H2 - Traded
Old 03-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

Correction:

The instructions for the Nucleus unit WERE included. They were in the package for the HARNESS (not the package with the actual unit).

I just found them.

2007 Victory Red LE H2
2005 Yellow H2 - Traded
Old 03-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

"Nice write up. I haven't checked out their web site yet, but do you know offhand if it would work with a Panasonic Z1 Nav unit?"

It will only work with OEM radios.

LV H2,

Congrats on the install I think that you may be the first confirmed install that used this post.

What iPod did you use? As I said before some iPod were faster than others. I was not going to leave my 60gig 5G video ipod in the H2. So I got a 30gig 5G video iPod for the H2 now and it is much faster than my older 15gig 3G iPod. The Nano was fast to but its only 4gig. There not as fast as the iPods controls but as fast if not faster than a cd changer. That was my goal to have music and nav at the same time. And the iPod was a better way to go over the cd changer. I may move the iPod to the center console so I can better use of the manual mode.

"The instructions for the Nucleus unit WERE included. They were in the package for the HARNESS (not the package with the actual unit)."

They include the instruction with the harness because the harness determines what car and radio you need instruction for.

Great find on the Peripheral PXDPGMT it looks to be the same as the X2i. A good second source.

Last edited by vlxjim : 03-02-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:13 PM
Hummer Veteran

I am using a 30Gig iPod that I have dedicated for use in the H2. I wonder if the "scroll speed" is related to the iPod capacity, or just the iPod used space.

I gather from the fact that you are going to move the iPod from glove box to center console that the on screen (NAV) scrolling is not exactly to your liking either. I will probably move to the center console as well. All in all though, a very good solution to those who want iPod integration on the H2.

I still do have the issue with increased "white noise" on the Onstar system. I spoke with A.I. today and he recommended tryng the extra harness piece included for those with CD changers or factory installed rear entertainment. This extra harness piece functions to reduct noise for those 2 circumstances. I will try it for the Onstar noise.

2007 Victory Red LE H2
2005 Yellow H2 - Traded
Old 03-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Hummer Veteran

Is your 30 gig iPod a new 5G or the old style? It makes a difference. I?m fine with the speed of the Nav controls. I can tell you that the older firmware and the older iPod it was slow, with the new firmware the older iPod is faster and the newer iPods less than 1 1/2 years old are faster yet.

I would some times like to use the iPod controls, I do have about 8.5 gigs of music and 18gigs of videos and the iPod plugs in to my DVD rear ent. system. So I will be able to start and fast forward movies and look at the iPod display to.

The extra harness was for applications that had a CD changer.
But I was told that the extra harness would also help with the noise if I had any. So far I have no noise. Let me know if that extra harness helps out any. Also see if it lowers the sound quality of the iPod any. You might try to move the X2i around it could be picking up some interference from something close by. The data wire on these dam GM?s are not shielded.

Good luck.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

410225 is on a distinguished road
Default Great source for H2 audio adaptor

I found this website to be valuable site. I am in no way affiliated with this website, but wanted to share with H2 members.

http://www.jpcustoms.com/store/custo...me.php?cat=306
Old 08-07-2007, 07:09 AM
Hummer Novice

Acheron is off the scale
Question Re: Ultimate iPod adaptor and 10Min install

*bump*

Anymore news on an update yet???
Old 08-08-2007, 05:39 AM
Hummer Veteran

I have a new unit that I'm tring right now. I well be getting one next week to try out as well. A.I. has narrowed it down to a software bug. They now have a laptop hooked up to a rig that they have put 1600+ miles on. The ver 5 firmware was made to work with the H3 and vett. And thats where the problem is, in the change from ver.4 to ver.5. A.I. did not think that it would take this long to fix but they want to get it right. We now know it's not the hardware so the software guys are working on it. I hope next week brings good news.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:04 AM
Hummer Novice

Acheron is off the scale

Thanks for the update!

Please keep us informed with how things are progressing. I know several people on this Forum are interested and still holding out for a "final" fix before purchasing.

Thanks again for the update!
Old 09-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Hummer Veteran

hummer.dad is on a distinguished road

Any update from AI? I returned a unit over 2 months ago. Been patiently waiting for the fix. The thing I liked about this adapter is not having to take apart the front dash.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

JoeHummer is on a distinguished road

Well I just called the guys for the first time. They say nothing new. It is their highest priority and they are working to get it fixed. He would not tell a time frame but told me they would do a swap out when the new units were completed. He told me to keep the paperwork and receipt as he would need that for the swap.

So I keep using it and watch the light display. Praying they will fix it soon.