H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 02-04-2007, 10:59 PM
Elcova Rookie

GusBros is on a distinguished road
Default Re: H2 camera installation

NICSH
Old 02-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Hummer Professional

FiremanJay is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, When are you going to do yours?
96 Road King
82 Vette
Old 02-07-2007, 02:00 AM
Hummer Veteran

SoonerBoarder is off the scale

All you need to do is put in one normal 12v relay.

The connections are:

85 negative
86 12v + that gets hot when you flip a switch
87 12v +
87a 12v + that gets hot when you put it in reverse
30 goes to the 12v + of the screen (normally 87a and 30 would be the same wire connected together)

Under normal circumstances the reverse light will turn on the screen. If you want to see it while driving, flip the switch and it will come on but not backfeed to the reverse lights.

It works like a charm, I have it wired up this way. I have the same camera but with the little screen that attaches to the windshield. The switch and relay is inside the overhead console. No problem.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Hummer Veteran

SUT NEIL is on a distinguished road

I've had both front and rear cameras that are integrated into my factory NAV system for some time now. The rear camera is set up the same as discussed here in that it comes on automatically when the truck is in reverse. Both cameras may also be activated manually at any time via two switches (one for front camera & one for the rear). I mounted these switched on the rear of the overhead console. The cameras are great for viewing objects in front and rear that you cannot see from the drivers seat and are also valuable when lining up my rig to attach the trailer to either the front or rear hitch. To compensate for the lack of depth perception inherent with camera views I've also installed backup sensors in both the front & rear bumpers. These sensors are equipped with two digital displays (one for front & one for rear) that display the distance away from object in increments of 1/2' to 6' along with providing an audible warning relative to how close I am to an object. These two displays are mounted to the inside windshield at the top left corner. The sensors are triggered in the exact same way as the cameras - the rear sensors are automatically activated when in reverse and both front & rear sensors can be manually activated at any time via the switches mentioned above. I mounted two sensors in the rear bumper, one at each corner but was unable to mount one in the center of the rear bumper due to inaccurate readings caused by the rear mounted spare tire. Will probably just add a hitch mounted rear sensor in the future. I love this setup.
2005 SUT: Firemist Red/Ebony; LUX; Sunroof; Uplevel Chrome Pkg; NAV; Air Suspension; Remote Start; Superchip; Volant CAI & MAF; 2006 Chrome SE Wheels & Front Brushguard; Front & Rear Cameras & Park Sensors With Audible Alarms & Digital Displays; Custom Tiger Stripe Interior Panels & Steering Wheel By OEMDASH; Bassani SS Exhaust; Wet Okole Seat Covers; Defenderworx Chrome Billet Tow Loops & Side Air Vents; HotShot System

1970 Pontiac Trans AM
2000 Mercedes SL500 AMG Sport
2006 C280 4Matic
Old 02-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Hummer Professional

obzidian is on a distinguished road

i was in the process of using that pac adapter for the stock headunit for a similar setup but couldn't get it to ork properly. Did you install it yourself?

I ask because its kinda tricky, i guess, however, not very difficult. I could get the image to return back to normal with the adapter. The screen would shift, blink, roll around on the screen, thus not allowing the stock nav functions to be utilized. I'm not sure if it was defective but i just returned it and considered that its just a "ok" product.

got any feedback on that unit? thanks!
Old 02-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Hummer Professional

WHOSNEXT is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by obzidian
i was in the process of using that pac adapter for the stock headunit for a similar setup but couldn't get it to ork properly. Did you install it yourself?

I ask because its kinda tricky, i guess, however, not very difficult. I could get the image to return back to normal with the adapter. The screen would shift, blink, roll around on the screen, thus not allowing the stock nav functions to be utilized. I'm not sure if it was defective but i just returned it and considered that its just a "ok" product.

got any feedback on that unit? thanks!

I installed mine last year and worked fine and have not read of anyone having problems.....
Old 02-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Hummer Professional

obzidian is on a distinguished road

well, i guess im the only idiot that got the install wrong!!

i haven't tried after the initial attempt, however, i was at it for about 6-8hrs and i couldn't get it to work. Maybe it was a bad unit, but i gave up on it...

im thinkin of going to a pioneer Z1 and see what i can with that..
Old 02-13-2007, 09:57 PM
Hummer Professional

FiremanJay is an unknown quantity at this point

it is a very easy install for the pac unit i actually had to install it twice after my first head unit took a dive. i removed it and sent it back got the new unit and installed it in there and no problems. the directions are pretty straight forward.
on the other hand the avic-z1 is also a nice unit but you will have to bypass some things if you want the unit to play when not in park.
check out this site
http://www.avic411.com
you can find some great info on all the pioneer units
96 Road King
82 Vette