H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > General H3 Discussion

Old 11-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Hummer Veteran

yat74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Hot Shot Washer Fluid Heater

Has anyone purchased this product from Microheat or other manufacturer? Does it work and are you pleased with the performance and quality? It is on ebay for $120. I had some issues with the wipers on the H3 last winter and changed them out as they were freezing up during a drive up to Vermont. I switched the stock blades out (which suck) with some silicone tripledge wipers, but I have a feeling that this alone will not solve the freezing problem as the H3 windshield is literally a vertical mount.

Old 11-28-2006, 07:43 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: Hot Shot Washer Fluid Heater

HotShot Makes Ice Scrapers Obsolete

See Also: Hot Shot Demonstration - Video

Farmington Hills, MI, November 22, 2006 ? More than 500,000 drivers throughout the world will not scrape snow, ice and freezing rain from their windshields this winter thanks to a revolutionary de-icing technology that makes ice scrapers obsolete. HotShot? is the patented cycling, hot-fluid, de-icing system designed and manufactured by Microheat, Inc., a Tier-One supplier to the automotive industry. It represents the greatest breakthrough in windshield wiper technology in over 70 years.

HotShot is currently featured on a variety of General Motors vehicles including the Cadillac DTS and Escalade, the Buick Lucerne, and SUVs and full size trucks including the Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban, the GMS Yukon, Hummer H2, Sierra, and Silverado. In addition, more than 20 OEMS throughout the world are in various stages of testing the product. Microheat has shipped product to Daihatsu for vehicles in Japan, has a purchase order from Toyota, and has a sourcing agreement with Ford.

First available on vehicles in 2004, the convenience and safety of HotShot has catapulted the product to a highly desired feature by most drivers, according to research from J.D. Power and Associates. According to the research, 69 percent of drivers surveyed expressed interest in having a system like HotShot on their next vehicle. They ranked it higher than features currently in series production such as Satellite Radio, Navigation, and Rear Seat Entertainment systems.

?Half a million motorists now enjoy the convenience, comfort and safety of HotShot in every season and under all driving conditions,? said Microheat President and CEO Gary Pilibosian. ?The system automatically removes snow, ice, bugs and road grime from windshields in under 90 seconds with the push of a button.?

Introduced commercially in 2002, HotShot features a patented cycling technology that intelligently heats fluid to an exact temperature and sprays the fluid at a precise time interval to quickly and efficiently remove snow, ice, bugs and road grime from vehicles. The all-season, all-weather system can be activated at vehicle start-up and maintains hot fluid for use by drivers on demand during normal driving conditions.

The acclaimed HotShot has been the recipient of numerous awards including: Finalist in 2006 PACE Awards, celebrating product and process innovations; Frost & Sullivan?s 2005 Excellence in Emerging Technologies Best Practices Award; Popular Mechanics deemed it the ?Outstanding Achievement in New Product Design and Innovation;? RoadStar Magazine and Newport Publications awarded Microheat in 2004. Microheat?s CEO Gary Pilibosian was named Automation Alley?s 2006 Emerging Leader.

Microheat, Inc. is a Farmington Hills, Michigan-based, privately-held company fully focused on the design, manufacture, production and sale of its advanced fluid heating system products and related components for integration into washer/wiper system modules of cars and trucks. To date, Microheat has received four U.S. patents and 27 patent applications globally. The company is TS16949 certified. For more information please visit www.microheat.com.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

yat74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:29 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck in getting one. I ordered one a month ago, and after two weeks, the company refunded my money. They had been told they would be available sometime in Oct, then Nov, then Dec; I decided I would prefer to wait with my money in my hands. I also called Micro Heat (Farmington, MI), and they stated they had no delivery time for the aftermarket. GM is using this unit on many new Caddys, Buicks, etc., and they are having a hard time supplying them.

As for wipers, try the new Valeo Ultimate wipers that are good in winter, and will not lift off the windshield at speeds as a snow blade will. Talking with people who used these last winter they love 'em. GM started using them last year. Last I looked, TireRack offered them at a 2 for one sale until December 31. Snap on easily. No arms to pack with snow. I have used them now for about two weeks, and they do NOT streak, but have not tried them in snow (good thing).

Last edited by f5fstop : 11-28-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Elcova Rookie

Sunday Money is off the scale

Nine available on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=250054119832
Old 11-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Hummer Guru

Thanks. Just wrote him to see if shipping is immediate. Makes you wonder why a large company like Ramps Plus or Truck Toys4Less can't get 'em, but some guy on ebay does?

The only thing I see wrong with the installation of the unit is, it is always connected to B+, and the system will stay on at all times. It does have an internal safety function that will shut it off if B+ drops below 12.4 volts.

From their installation/owner's manual:
AUTO MODE:
Depressing the control switch
for approximately 3 seconds,
until the light starts blinking
slowly, will activate the
Automatic mode. The LED on
the Control Switch will blink
slowly (twice per second).
HotShot heats the fluid for 30-45 seconds and then
automatically provides 6-8 applications of heated fluid,
with 6-12 seconds between each application. The HotShot
device will shut down automatically after 2.5 minutes,
or if the driver pushes the Control Switch button during
the cycle.

Standby mode:
Depress control switch button for one second or less
until the LED light comes on steady. This will activate
the Standby mode.
HotShot will then heat the fluid to a predetermined
temperature and hold it until the driver activates the
spray mechanism. The fluid will then be heated again,
which takes approximately 10-18 seconds (depending
on ambient temperature and duration of spray).
Recommended duration of spray is 3 seconds.
In Standby mode, the wipers and washer pump should
be operated manually by the driver.
Standby mode is recommended for removal of snow,
grime and mud, as well as ice build-up on wiper blades,
during driving.

The only problem I see is that if you have it in stand by mode, and you exit the vehicle, if you don't press the switch, it remains on and keeps the fluid heated. It is a safety function to shut down all operation if battery drops below 12.4 volts, which I assume could happen quickly with the amps this sucker draws (it has a 60 amp inline fuse).
I see no reason, the main power feed could not be connected through a 60 amp relay, controlled by the ignition switch.

Last edited by f5fstop : 11-28-2006 at 11:04 PM.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Hummer Authority

Wisha Haddan H3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop
As for wipers, try the new Valeo Ultimate wipers that are good in winter, and will not lift off the windshield at speeds as a snow blade will. Talking with people who used these last winter they love 'em. GM started using them last year. Last I looked, TireRack offered them at a 2 for one sale until December 31. Snap on easily. No arms to pack with snow. I have used them now for about two weeks, and they do NOT streak, but have not tried them in snow (good thing).

Are you using 17" Valeos on each side or 17" and 16"? Tire Rack is recommending 17" for both sides.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks. Just wrote him to see if shipping is immediate. Makes you wonder why a large company like Ramps Plus or Truck Toys4Less can't get 'em, but some guy on ebay does?

The only thing I see wrong with the installation of the unit is, it is always connected to B+, and the system will stay on at all times. It does have an internal safety function that will shut it off if B+ drops below 12.4 volts.

From their installation/owner's manual:
AUTO MODE:
Depressing the control switch
for approximately 3 seconds,
until the light starts blinking
slowly, will activate the
Automatic mode. The LED on
the Control Switch will blink
slowly (twice per second).
HotShot heats the fluid for 30-45 seconds and then
automatically provides 6-8 applications of heated fluid,
with 6-12 seconds between each application. The HotShot
device will shut down automatically after 2.5 minutes,
or if the driver pushes the Control Switch button during
the cycle.

Standby mode:
Depress control switch button for one second or less
until the LED light comes on steady. This will activate
the Standby mode.
HotShot will then heat the fluid to a predetermined
temperature and hold it until the driver activates the
spray mechanism. The fluid will then be heated again,
which takes approximately 10-18 seconds (depending
on ambient temperature and duration of spray).
Recommended duration of spray is 3 seconds.
In Standby mode, the wipers and washer pump should
be operated manually by the driver.
Standby mode is recommended for removal of snow,
grime and mud, as well as ice build-up on wiper blades,
during driving.

The only problem I see is that if you have it in stand by mode, and you exit the vehicle, if you don't press the switch, it remains on and keeps the fluid heated. It is a safety function to shut down all operation if battery drops below 12.4 volts, which I assume could happen quickly with the amps this sucker draws (it has a 60 amp inline fuse).
I see no reason, the main power feed could not be connected through a 60 amp relay, controlled by the ignition switch.

That's what you would do, forget the manual switch and just have it turn on with the ignition.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisha Haddan H3
Are you using 17" Valeos on each side or 17" and 16"? Tire Rack is recommending 17" for both sides.

17 both sides, and the fit is ok.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:23 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
That's what you would do, forget the manual switch and just have it turn on with the ignition.

No, still use the switch, which is connected to the Hot Shot unit via two wires. The switch completes a circuit inside the unit. With a relay, when the ignition is killed, power to the unit is killed, switch resets until next startup.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:37 AM
Hummer Veteran

wordstew is on a distinguished road

You can also buy heated windshield wipers and never have any snow buildup on or around your wipers
Old 11-29-2006, 12:40 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordstew
You can also buy heated windshield wipers and never have any snow buildup on or around your wipers

Very expensive due to replacement blades.
One thing about the Hot Shot is that it works great in the summer on bugs. Before I had ordered the one I didn't get, I viewed some writeups on RV owner websites, and those that had the Hot Shot stated the warm fluid helped to remove bug guts and prevent streaking.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
No, still use the switch, which is connected to the Hot Shot unit via two wires. The switch completes a circuit inside the unit. With a relay, when the ignition is killed, power to the unit is killed, switch resets until next startup.
No, my point was just using the unit in it's standby mode and not worry about the auto. Have it squirt it only when you spray yourself manually if you don't care to run the switch inside.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:43 AM
Hummer Novice

Beonly1 is on a distinguished road

I know that there are others who are more well versed than myself on this topic. However; I recently did a search on the forums about the Hot shot and found that many of the people in the H2 forums were not happy.

There were quite a few people who state it worked great, initially. But, after a few uses it stopped working. There was some mention from the manufacturer about priming after each use as the cause of the malfunction?

Just curious are there any long term owners (for an entire winter) who have been pleased?

Beonly1
Old 11-29-2006, 12:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beonly1
I know that there are others who are more well versed than myself on this topic. However; I recently did a search on the forums about the Hot shot and found that many of the people in the H2 forums were not happy.

There were quite a few people who state it worked great, initially. But, after a few uses it stopped working. There was some mention from the manufacturer about priming after each use as the cause of the malfunction?

Just curious are there any long term owners (for an entire winter) who have been pleased?

Beonly1
it has a back flow valve that keeps it primed, so it shouldn't be an issue
Old 11-29-2006, 01:03 AM
Hummer Guru

I agree with Paragon, if the valve is good, I can't see it losing the prime.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:05 AM
Hummer Novice

Beonly1 is on a distinguished road

OK, guys I've been lurking the forums, looking for potential products to add my future H3. I certainly don't know the technical issues as well as you do. However; I came across the following post on the H2 forums and was trying to get a sense of whether these are aberrancies and most owners are happy or this is commonplace?

10-22-2006, 11:02 PM
dochummer
Hummer Guru Join Date: Nov 2004

Re: PARTSGUY - NEED HELP PLEASE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The actual button to tom it on and off would be nice too! Anybody have problems with their hotshot. Mine stopped working last month. Sometimes, the light just flashes, other times, no light at all.

PARTSGUY - NEED HELP PLEASE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anybody have the limited edition operating instructions for the hotshot unit? I spoke with the hotshot people, and they said that i most likely overheated the unit, that's why it's not working any more. Said that I didn't prime it. The manual says that you need to prime it before using after initial install....wasn't aware that I was supposed to prime it every time I use it....Is that the way it is with the limited edition installs?

Vettster
Hummer Veteran Join Date: Jul 2006

Re: PARTSGUY - NEED HELP PLEASE

Is the factory installed one named "Hotshot"?
If so, mine has not worked since day one.
I took it back to the dealer and after 3 days in the shop, it worked a total of two times.
The instructions are pretty vague. It tells you to push the button (No kidding) and nothing else.
I know I'm gonna be really pissed once the snow starts falling here.
?If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.?
?If you make an ass out of yourself, there will always be someone to ride you?

-Bruce Lee
Old 11-29-2006, 05:00 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

I used mine through the winter last year and it worked just like they said it would...with no problems. About a couple of months ago, I was just fiddling around while driving down the highway, and decided to turn on the unit for some bugs....it just flashed rapidly at me....and then went dark....tried it again later, and the same thing happened. I called tech support after checking the manual, and they said that most likely the heater burnt out because I didn't prime it. I primed it the first time I used it when I installed it...and then purposely primed it after it starting glitching recently....they wanted me to send it back...I may do that, just depends on if they will send a new one or not....I have no receipt because it was an ebay purchase over a year ago...so I doubt they would replace it. So....I'll be installing my other unit when I feel like working in the cold weather - and we'll see how long it works....

But, again, it works great when it's working...

'03 H2
Old 11-29-2006, 05:02 AM
Hummer Guru

dochummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, and I've had problems with the battery dying every so often...I don't believe it's related to the hotshot though, because the last time the battery died, the unit's fuse was pulled....

'03 H2
Old 11-29-2006, 05:21 AM
Hummer Authority

K9sH3 is on a distinguished road

Don't laugh, I live by Murphy's law. I have a question... With my luck the heat would hit my cold windshield and break it or something in that nature, is there even a chance it could/would happen?