H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 05-24-2006, 04:28 AM
Hummer Novice

nafs is on a distinguished road
Talking Pioneer Avic Z-1

New here, great site guys!!!!!

Just received my hummer...loving it

Have purchased Pio Z1, rear cam and bluetooth module. I am looking to install it to the H3 with the monsoon.

Has anyone succesfully installed this unit? How is the performance and fit?

So far my research has given me the following install accessories"

Scosche 1595b
pac os-2
pac cm1

Is there anything else i would need?

I have tinkered in a couple of aftermarket installs. How difficult is the proposition?

How much can i ecxpect to pay at an installer for labor?

Your responses are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 05-24-2006, 02:37 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pioneer Avic Z-1

Welcome and congrats on the H3. I was considering the Z1 but decided to got with the D1 first to see how much I used it. As far as the install goes it should be pretty much the same as the D1 and is very simple if you have any install experience. I did the parking brake bypass but am not sure how it is done on the Z1 so be careful. I went with the Schoche kit as well and it is a very nice fit I think.

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 05-25-2006, 05:41 AM
Hummer Veteran

JeffW is off the scale

If you haven't found it yet, check out www.avic411.com. The neat thing about the Z1 is that you only have to flash your headlights on and off during bootup to bypass the in-motion lockout. When you do this you (I mean your passenger) can access all the phonebook, nav, and video functions while driving. There's a guy in that forum that sells a $25 board that sends the appropriate signal automatically. Be sure to post pics and report back how you like it. Congrats!
Old 05-25-2006, 05:47 AM
Hummer Veteran

JeffW is off the scale

nafs, you didn't list sat radio in the list of things you got... not interested in it??
Old 05-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffW
check out www.avic411.com

Thanks for posting this link, will have to check it out.

Old 05-26-2006, 03:01 AM
Hummer Novice

Hey guys, thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

I have found Avic411 and it's a great site.... but not Hummer H3 specific.

I wanted to see if anyone has self installed the Z1 in the H3. Although I have tinkered in installs on USED cars, this is my first new car so I am kind of weary. Trying to gather as much info and experience as possible. Especially with a necessary list of parts i need for the install.

Jeffw- I do have the stock XM receiver, because the car had it, not because I requested it. Unfortunately the oem receiver does not work with aftermarket, and i dont want to spend another couple of hundred bucks on a module just yet. Are you interested in purchasing a brand new receiver?
let me know.

Anyway thanks again for your responses.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:16 AM
Hummer Veteran

JeffW is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafs
Jeffw- I do have the stock XM receiver, because the car had it, not because I requested it. Unfortunately the oem receiver does not work with aftermarket, and i dont want to spend another couple of hundred bucks on a module just yet. Are you interested in purchasing a brand new receiver?
let me know.
No thanks I've had XM for the last 4 years and am just not happy with the programming. I also have a reception dead spot along the freeway near my exit, so I hit it just about everywhere I go. I'm also tentatively planning to get the Z1, and planning to switch to Sirius, but I'm worried about reception out here in the northwest. Need to research that a little more. Also, I'm dissapointed that even the just release sir-pnr2 tuner only has a 1-line display of song info with the Z1, while XM has 2 lines (i.e. artist and title). So I'm looking forward to learning from your installation efforts!
Old 05-26-2006, 03:44 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
I wanted to see if anyone has self installed the Z1 in the H3. Although I have tinkered in installs on USED cars, this is my first new car so I am kind of weary. Trying to gather as much info and experience as possible. Especially with a necessary list of parts i need for the install.

Couldn't positively tell you it is but I can not imagine that the install for the Z1 is much if any different than the D1. As far as install difficulty goes, it is very simple compared to many I have don't in the past. Just get yourself the double din kit, wire harness and OnStar/Chimes modules and you will be good to go. Running the antenna will probably take you close to the same amount of time as the rest of the install.

Quote:
...i dont want to spend another couple of hundred bucks on a module just yet.

I know that you don't want to buy another XM tuner but with the Z1 you can also get XM Traffic in New York. I went with the GEX-P10XMT for my D1 and it works great. I have not used it too much yet but with XM Traffic if there is an accident, road construction or some other delay in your route, it will automatically reroute you around it to save time. Another great feature that isn't available in Orlando yet but will be is Traffic Flow. It will show you the average speed vehicles are going through sections of the highway/road that is in the system. I know that I have seen these new on Ebay for about $125.

Old 05-27-2006, 02:21 PM
Hummer Novice

Hummernewbie------Running the antenna will probably take you close to the same amount of time as the rest of the install.

Newbs...Are you talking about the GPS antenna? I have heard you can mount it under dash in the H3. Where have you mounted it?

Thanks for all your inputs guys
Old 05-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Newbs...Are you talking about the GPS antenna? I have heard you can mount it under dash in the H3. Where have you mounted it?

I mounted my XM antenna on the roof on the passenger side just behind the marker lights next to the factory OnStar antenna and the GPS antenna is on the opposite side. Not sure about installing it under the dash, don't think it would do so good there. You could just place it there and check the signal status on the unit to determine if it will work for you. If under the dash does not work, you could install it on top of the dash in one of the corners which would be better.

Old 05-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do any of you guys know if the stock xm/onstar antena can be used with the avic-z1 system/receiver or does a new one have to be instaled, because after the install i am gona have about 3 antenas up there ? thanks for the help!
Old 05-27-2006, 05:09 PM
Hummer Guru

I have yet to hear about anyone getting the factory antenna to work with an aftermarket. I have three antennas on my roof and the only one you can see unless you are above the vehicle is the factory one.

Last edited by HummerNewbie : 05-27-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:57 PM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point

oh and one more question, the avic-z1 has voice recognition and comes with its own microphone, i was wondering if there is a way to use the onstar mic that is above the drivers head instead of installing a new mic? I just wana make the install look as stock and clean as possible . Thanks!
Old 05-30-2006, 08:43 AM
Hummer Veteran

JeffW is off the scale

Anyone think an HDD based system like with the Z1 (or some of the Eclipse's, or even an iPod) will have reliability issues from off-road use? I imagine these mobile devices have anti-shock features to deal with normal driving, but I'm wondering if they are robust enough to withstand the physical shock from off-road driving. I'd hate to just get outside the 1 yr. warranty and get a head crash.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:33 PM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

oh and one more question, the avic-z1 has voice recognition and comes with its own microphone, i was wondering if there is a way to use the onstar mic that is above the drivers head instead of installing a new mic? I just wana make the install look as stock and clean as possible

Tried that--didn't work for crap!! Ended up using the mic that came with it
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!
Old 06-01-2006, 03:24 AM
Hummer Professional

Mark805 is off the scale

Kod: Where did you end up putting the mic?
Old 06-01-2006, 03:55 AM
Hummer Expert

kodiakz is off the scale

We put it in the front corner of the overhead (sunroof control) console. Works ok, but going to try some other mics as many have complained of echo associated with the Pioneer mic
\'05 Slate Blue Sut w/ Magnusun, JBA headers, custom exhaust, 22\" MC2 RT5 wheels, Pioneer AVIC Z1 nav, Passport SRX, Vizualogic A1000 dual, bi xenons, fog xenons, dual optimas, and just gettin\' started!