H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 08-25-2003, 01:51 AM

maybe some day... is off the scale

http://www.sunspot.net/cgi-bin/ultbb...;f=18;t=032592

Topic: The Hummer Solution
dchipkin
Member # 22060

Member Rated:
4 - posted 08-23-2003 08:40 PM Profile for dchipkin Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote ELF is a bunch of wackos (and some criminals), but they have a point: Hummers and other big SUVs are causing some serious environmental damadge.

The big problem with Hummers is that their owners pay for only the auto and the fuel. They do NOT pay for the environmental consequences of their vehicle; everyone else does. We either pay financially (through taxes to clean up the air, or health bills because air quality is so bad) or otherwise (such as asthma attacks, leathery lungs caused by ozone).

So here's a solution: let's make anyone who buys a Hummer or some such related vehicle compensate the rest of us financially for the environmental damadge these vehicles cause. I.e., let's levy a pollution tax on these vehicles, and let the revenue go towards environmental research, cleanup efforts, medical costs related to pollution, etc...

Of course, there should be some legitimate exceptions to those who actually need to use such vehicles for their livlihood. So farmers who purchase such vehicles should be exempt from this fee. But suburbanites who buy Hummers (who account for most sales) would not be exempt.

This solution would still allow people to enjoy Hummers, but would also make them take responsibilty for the environmental consequences of their decisions, which all of us must bear.

What do you think?
Old 08-25-2003, 01:51 AM

maybe some day... is off the scale

http://www.sunspot.net/cgi-bin/ultbb...;f=18;t=032592

Topic: The Hummer Solution
dchipkin
Member # 22060

Member Rated:
4 - posted 08-23-2003 08:40 PM Profile for dchipkin Send New Private Message Edit/Delete Post Reply With Quote ELF is a bunch of wackos (and some criminals), but they have a point: Hummers and other big SUVs are causing some serious environmental damadge.

The big problem with Hummers is that their owners pay for only the auto and the fuel. They do NOT pay for the environmental consequences of their vehicle; everyone else does. We either pay financially (through taxes to clean up the air, or health bills because air quality is so bad) or otherwise (such as asthma attacks, leathery lungs caused by ozone).

So here's a solution: let's make anyone who buys a Hummer or some such related vehicle compensate the rest of us financially for the environmental damadge these vehicles cause. I.e., let's levy a pollution tax on these vehicles, and let the revenue go towards environmental research, cleanup efforts, medical costs related to pollution, etc...

Of course, there should be some legitimate exceptions to those who actually need to use such vehicles for their livlihood. So farmers who purchase such vehicles should be exempt from this fee. But suburbanites who buy Hummers (who account for most sales) would not be exempt.

This solution would still allow people to enjoy Hummers, but would also make them take responsibilty for the environmental consequences of their decisions, which all of us must bear.

What do you think?
Old 08-25-2003, 02:00 AM
Hummer Veteran

Ted is off the scale

Some how people like this have decided all the SUV is the cause of all evil in the world.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:57 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I am a urbabanite farmer, would I be exempt?
Old 08-25-2003, 12:29 PM

Gary C is off the scale

I heard somewhere if all the SUV's were gone it would only make one extra day of gas for the world...

<font color=Gray>Pewter</font>, Lux, Ventvisors, Foose Wheels, Corsa Touring Exhaust, HID's
Old 08-25-2003, 12:47 PM
Hummer Messiah

CO Hummer is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> let's make anyone who buys a Hummer or some such related vehicle compensate the rest of us financially <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ummmm.... I believe we've already paid. It's called Income Tax.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

Doug is off the scale

This must be one of those ELF guys that do more damage to the enviroment than any average individual just by spraying paint and burning.
Some people just need a good education.

Doug
2003 Metalic Red H2
Adventure Series. w/navigation/Sat Radio/Winch
Old 08-25-2003, 01:54 PM
Hummer Professional

89vette is off the scale

Why do Hummers cause more pollution? Because they use more gas therfore belch more pollutants? This post just goes to show how ignorant these envio nut balls are. I wonder how much harm was caused to the environment when they torched the Hummers in Socal? I wonder if they would feel the same if they got T-Boned by a pick up truck in their little Echo or Hybrid and their child was killed as a result. I have 4 kids and I want the the safest,largest vehicle I can get. My wife drives the children in an Escalade that has side airbags and its a big heavy car. I don't care how much gas it uses as long as my kids are safe. Cars today are much cleaner than they used to be and they will only get cleaner. Those people need to get a life.

03 Sunset H2!
89 Vette
02 Escalade
Old 08-25-2003, 03:02 PM

Grim_Smoker is off the scale

I completely agree 89vette. Though I may not have kids, I prefer to be in a bigger, safer vehicle. Do these people really honestly think that they are seeing things the way they are? I never see these people poking at the older cars on the road. Like the old boat thunderbirds driving around with no muffler and white smoke pouring from they're car. The old muscle cars driving around, I should go down to Marcus Dairy next saturday night and set fire to the hundreds of cars down there because they're old, don't pass emissions, and pollute my damn air. I'm also going to find these ELF people who set fire to the Hummer dealership and set them a blaze. How much CRAP was introduced into our environment when the paint on those Hummers burned, the oil, the gas, the brake fluid, etc etc, how about when the building itself burned? How about this, I think I'm going to go kill myself now because I'm murdering you all by smoking cigarettes. Nice knowing you all

-Grim

2003 Sunset Metalic Orange H2 - Breathless Stage 2B, HID's, Gobi Rack & Ladder.

2003 Millenium Yellow Z06

2003 Millenium Yellow Z06
Old 08-25-2003, 03:16 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

I've always been baffled how the enviro-nazis are determined to ram their extremist views down the throats of others. Most of the methods that they employ are counter-productive to what they say they're trying to achieve.
Here's a couple of things the enviro-nuts also aren't taking into consideration:
When they burn vehicles to keep them from polluting the environment they're polluting more with their act of destruction than those vehicles are ever going to in their entire lifetimes. And by burning the vehicles they are only polluting. At least when the vehicle is driving around (emitting a fraction of the pollution it would by burning) it is providing transportation to someone that is actually contributing something to society.
Here's one more thing that the enviro-nuts might want to think about: I don't like the way they look or smell, so should I carry a can of lighter fluid around to douse & light up those that I find offensive to my senses of sight and smell?
Old 08-25-2003, 04:55 PM
Hummer Veteran

prplprowlr is off the scale

Could someone explain how the H2 pollutes more than other Suv's, Cars or Trucks?? Is it the gas mileage?? I had a 2001 4x4 Dodge Ram with a 360v8 and 4:10rear end and it got around 8-9 miles to a gallon. My neighbor has the new Hemi Dodge motor in a new dodge truck and gets close to the same mileage as well. My H2 get's close to 11mpg. Whats the deal here??
Old 08-25-2003, 06:44 PM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

That's the funny thing- it doesn't!! I would stack up the combined emissions from 5 H2s versus the emissions from one blue smoke spewing enviro-nut hauling VW hippie bus. I've never heard of them pissing and moaning about the black, acrid smoke that one of those hippie vans emits while burning on the side of the road, which they seem to do with some frequency. I've never heard a f*cking peep out of them after those hippie vans leave a huge puddle of oil on the ground after being parked for 10 minutes.
I heard someone refer to the SUV bashers as "useful idiots". When someone puts the smallest of ideas into their heads it ricochets back and forth, driving them into a frenzy.
During most of the WTO and Mayday riots a few years ago a reporter asked a few of the rioters why they were pissed off. Do you know what they said? They didn't know, but they were sure it was for something worthwhile. Those are the same idiots that are SUV bashing now.