H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 09-24-2006, 12:44 AM
Hummer Authority

marin8703 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AUX in for Headrest DVDs

hey guys and gals. I was wondering if anypne knows how i can input video to the headrest dvds through its AUX port. I am assuming the AUX ports are on the jumper box between the two units. I looked at the box and there is a 10 pin unused connector. Has anyone done this? I would like to output video or whatever from my nav unit to the headrest screens. Instructions say its doable but im not sure how.

Wrote an email to Invision but no response yet. I need to know whats the connector type and which pin is for what.

Im not sure but this may be a part number or something CBX-3010G7GM.

Thanks for your help!

Ill post apic of the jumper box and connector in a little bit.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Hummer Guru

HummerNewbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: AUX in for Headrest DVDs

I am looking to do the same think but going the opposite way. I am looking to split the A/V feed that goes for the DS to the PS and feed it to the A/V inputs on my NAV unit. I had call the manufacture and they said they do not sell a cable to do this. I have not taken the time to look into it but was going to try to buy another cable and split it myself. Was in a higher end car audio shop yesterday for something else and asked about it. The guy said to come back next week and talk to a particular installer who might now how to do it. Post anything you find out and I will do the same

Slate Blue H3 Adventure w/sunroof, Monsoon/NAV, DVD and marker lights
Old 09-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Hummer Novice

darebren is on a distinguished road

do you guys have the factory OEM navigation unit?
Old 09-24-2006, 08:06 PM
Hummer Guru

I have the OEM headrests but a Pioneer NAV system.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Hummer Authority

I also have OEm headrests with pioneer avic-z1 unit. So far had no luck, but will keep loking and will keep posted if i find anything.

If i dont find any answers ill just start experimenting with the lil jumper box to see what is what. It would be easier to do that if I could get a male for the connector pictured bellow. It would be easier to work with. Anyone know this connector type: (the big white one)

Also took some more pics of the Box that the two headrest dvd units connect to, and the other connectors

HummerNewbie, which pioneer do you have?

Last edited by marin8703 : 09-24-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin8703
It would be easier to do that if I could get a male for the connector pictured bellow. It would be easier to work with. Anyone know this connector type: (the big white one)

Couple of places you might look are...
www.molex.com
www.digikey.com
www.jameco.com

Quote:
Also took some more pics of the Box that the two headrest dvd units connect to, and the other connectors

Where was the module located in your truck? I have not pulled mine out to check out yet. I do know that below the seat are cables with a 6 pin din connector that go the unit. I had one come disconnected at one point the the unit stopped working. That is what I was planning on splitting off of but the connectors in the module would be much easier.

Quote:
HummerNewbie, which pioneer do you have?

I am running an AVIC-D1. Might consider bumping up to a Z1 after a while.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:50 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummerNewbie

Where was the module located in your truck? I have not pulled mine out to check out yet. I do know that below the seat are cables with a 6 pin din connector that go the unit. I had one come disconnected at one point the the unit stopped working. That is what I was planning on splitting off of but the connectors in the module would be much easier.

they put my box in the center console (bellow the radio/nav) right infront of the onstar module.

Thanks for the links, i think these guys might have what i need. havent had time to check yet. Thanks!

Last edited by marin8703 : 09-25-2006 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:38 AM
Hummer Guru

Quote:
they put my box in the center console (bellow the radio/nav) right infront of the onstar module.

Thanks for the links, i think these guys might have what i need. havent had time to check yet. Thanks!

Not positive but believe that is where mine is located as well. May have to pull the center stack apart tomorrow to check it out. Hope the links help, I will look around and see what I can find as well.

Old 09-27-2006, 11:38 PM
Hummer Guru

I have not had a chance to check for the male plug but did just pull out the box and looked at it. From what I can tell, looks like I can split off from the blue connector to feed my A/V inputs from monitor A. For this I would just splice the wires and go to the A/V inputs with RCA cables then go to the box with the original plug.

You mentioned in the instructions it said you can do this, do you have a soft copy of the instructions or is it possible to scan them? I only received very basic instruction on how to operated it and nothing about the install.

Old 09-28-2006, 01:17 AM
Hummer Authority

the nav instructions say it can be done. Just like you I received only some stupid operating instructions for the DVD headrests. Sorry to have misinformed you about the instructions.

The reason i assume it can is because the dvds have an AUX function. I could be wrong. I an still trying to contact Invison and figure it out.

There are installation instructions at this site: http://www.invisionindustries.com/rev_instructions.html

These are vehicle specific, none for the H3. But you get the idea of the install from them. They dont have any technical stuff though, just how to install it.

Also next time i go to my dealer (probably within the next week or so) i will ask them to make me a copy if possible of any instructions they may have. Will post those when and if i get them.

I think i found the connector type from those links you listed. Will try and find some tommorow to check if they are the actual ones. Will post the type tomorow if they fit.

Hope this help, and thanks for those links again, saved me lots of time!
Old 09-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Hummer Guru

OK, I see what you mean now. I am not sure if the AUX function will work through the box as well or just through the AUX inputs on the front of the unit. Would be nice if you are correct about the AUX input on the box then you could also hook up a PS2 or XBOX. I have an appointment to get my oil changed on Saturday and will try to get more detailed instructions as well. If I can get them I will post. If all else fails, maybe I sound just drive across town and show up at Invision's offices and see what I can find out

If you want to send me or post the manufacturer name and part numbers of the connectors you found I can check with some of the electronics distributors I use to see if I can get samples. More than likely you will have a hard time finding them locally.

Old 09-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Hummer Authority

here are acouple i was looking at, im kinds skeptical that these are the ones but if you can check them out without spending money, that would be great, all i have around here is radio shack and they dont seem to have it ( gona check some installers as well):
http://www.molex.com/cgi-bin/bv/molex/jsp/products/compare.jsp?Itemlist=77569,77570,77597,77598&Fam=p cbheadpn&FT_118=55928&FT_101=108&selorder=215,5592 8&btnSearch.y=9&btnSearch.x=25&channel=Products&La ng=en-US&FT_479=0&FT_41394=41394&FT_215=215&BV_SessionID =@@@@1561311171.1159547269@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfadd imefdfhhcflgcehedffgdfmk.0

and

http://www.molex.com/cgi-bin/bv/molex/jsp/family/intro.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0031994628.1159549146@@ @@&BV_EngineID=ccccaddimefdfglcflgcehedffgdfmk.0&s uperFamOID=-8811&pageTitle=Introduction&channel=Products&famil yOID=-16301&chanName=family&frellink=Introduction

maybe you should go over to invisions office, cracka few heads and make them tell you how to do it!

im also doubting that the aux would work through the box, but wanted to make sure, cauze it would be easier than any other way. If it doesnt work, taping into the wires like you said would be the best way to go.

marin
Old 09-29-2006, 11:32 PM
Hummer Authority

ok well i head back from Invidion. heres what they said;

"
Hi,
The only source for input on this system is the front of the monitor which has the RCA plugs on it. The Rev 3 which is a set up for a 4 headrest system also has a TV tuner built in as well as RCA input on the box. If you need to connect another video source all the time and just change the source then you will need the REV 3 control box. You can purchase that directly through the same dealership from whom you bought the system from. Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Cliff Rampaul
Customer Service/Tech Support
INViSiON Industries, Inc.
Phone 866-869-7888
Fax 407-842-7030
www.invisionindustries.com"

You were rite, the front is the only AUX. Im gona check with my dealer to see how much they want for the control (i call it jumper) box, and if its not too much ill go that route. other wise im gona start cutting the wires.

I guess we dont really need to know the connector type anymore.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:44 PM
Hummer Authority

just spoke with woodfield hummer, chicago area, they call it a "audio and video control module" just in case you wana check in with your dealer. they want $99 for it. guess it not bad cauze it does have a tv tuner in it.

Im not sure what im gona do. I just applied for 2 jobs, if i get either of the jobs within the next week or two, im gona get the module, otherwise ill do it the affordable way.

Last edited by marin8703 : 09-30-2006 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:12 PM
Hummer Veteran

Vandakeg is off the scale

I called Invision about 6 months ago with the same question (aux input w/o using the inputs on the headrests). I was told by a technician that they were planning on making an add on TV Tuner which would have another set of inputs. He told me it would cost around $100, so I wonder if they scrapped that idea, and just made a new control module altoghether.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Hummer Guru

Sorry for the late reply, been busy but looks like you got it all figured out. Thanks for doing all the leg work on this.