H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 12-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: I was thinking.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe
But if you are increasing weight and height on a half ton truck to that of a 3/4 ton truck, the 3/4 ton truck bars won't work?

Those are the ones I saw, and they do come in more than a couple of their lift kits.

K.

Would a shop like this be worth contacting??? http://sacramentospring.com/index.html
Meh, check with these guys and see if they can come up with anything or know of someone who could.

http://www.swayaway.com/PowerBarz%20frameset.htm
Old 12-01-2006, 07:00 PM
Hummer Veteran

ChasH3 is off the scale

I received an email from the president of ARB USA just the other day.. He explained to me that they are working on a front and rear locker along with new front and rear bumpers for the H3... He said that they should be available sometime in mid 2007....
Old 12-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Hummer Guru

HummBebe is an unknown quantity at this point

Benefit #1: Sway-A-Way Torsion bars eliminate hard bottoming when off roading or towing heavy loads
Benefit #2: Sway-A-Way Torsion bars improve vehicle handling on the street.
Benefit #3: Sway-A-Way Torsion bars provide a more consistent spring rate, providing the driver with better vehicle control of lifted or lowered vehicles. All torsion bars are precision machined to assure superior quality, greater

consistency, and unmatched reliability. Plus bars are epoxy powder coated for corrosion resistance.

HA!!! Thanks Para
Old 12-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Hummer Guru

OH YEAH!!! THEY MAKE THEM!!!!

30% increase in spring rate over stock...

They make them for the H2 too!!!

Chris at Swayaway just shipped 4 sets of the H3 bars to Platinum Auto Sports in SoCal.....

YEAH BABY!!!
Old 12-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Hummer Guru

**coughdoublethepriceofandH2setcough**

Typical....H3

Last edited by HummBebe : 12-01-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Hummer Guru

Here is an article on Torsion Bars....

Source : http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Article...rsion_bars.htm

Quote:

There still is a lot of misconception about the nature of torsion bars. Hopefully this will help clarify the nature and design of the torsion bar independent suspension setup.
To begin with, the torsion bar, like the lief and coil, is simply a spring. A piece of material which when distorted tries to return to its original position. Like the lief and coil, the torsion bar can loose its memory [sag], or break. The torsion bar, like the conventional lief or coil spring is at one end fastened to the frame so as not to move during operation. The other end of the torsion bar is fastened to a pivot [the control arm]. Now as force [weight] is applied to the pivot end [control arm] it tries to move and take the torsion bar with it, the opposite end being fastened to the frame, can not move so the bar twists and then tries to return to its memory position. This being the point at which the pivot end [control arm] originated. With no applied force [weight], the torsion bar will keep its pivot end [control arm] at the position or angle in which it was originally set. As a constant applied force [set weight] acts upon the torsion bar the torsion bar is resisted from returning all the way back to it's memory or set position. the amount by which the torsion bar can not return to its memory [set] position becomes pre load. Pre load is solely controlled by the amount of force [weight] applied to the torsion bar.
To adjust the ride height of the vehicle by winding the adjuster bolt at the fixed [frame] end of the torsion bar does not add any more force [weight] to the pivot [control arm] end of the torsion bar, therefore the pre load is unaffected, hence ride quality and torsion bar life theoretically remain unchanged. Winding the torsion bar adjuster bolt is the same as installing blocks between the axle and lief springs or a set of coil spacers, it simply moves the spring to a different position.
The reason the truck may ride a little stiffer is because of the new angle of the pivot [control arm]. As this angle [control arm to ground] becomes grater, the pivot [control arm] exerts less force on the torsion bar effectively reducing the pre load.
Other reasons for a harsh ride after winding the adjuster bolts is, YOU WENT TOO FAR. This is when there is not enough room or no room between the control arm and upper bump stops, leaving no room for downwards travel of the control arm. When to replace your torsion bars with larger ones is if you have added substantial weight [winch, large bush bar, heavy bumper, heavier engine, etc. or if you are looking for a firmer ride. The affected longevity of related components such as c.v. joints, ball joints, spindles, etc. will be the same weather the heavier torsion bars are used or the originals are adjusted, since these components are affected by the selected angle of the control arm. After a height adjustment is made either way, it is a good idea to have an alignment, but you will most times find that everything is still in spec.

Happy wheeling.

-------TOYDOC-------
Old 12-03-2006, 03:31 AM
Hummer Veteran

TA8088 is off the scale

Old 12-05-2006, 03:03 AM
Hummer Veteran

bjc is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by HummBebe

Chris at Swayaway just shipped 4 sets of the H3 bars to Platinum Auto Sports in SoCal.....

YEAH BABY!!!

And does one of those sets have your name on it? Who are you going to have do the install?
Birch White H3 Manual, Adventure Package, Sunroof, Trailering Package, Off-Road Lamps, Splashguards, Black Tubular Assist Steps, Black Crossbows, Mudder Mats, Ski Rack, Warn XD9000 w/ DOI Hawse Winch Bumper, DOI Prototype Skid Plates, M101A1 3/4 ton trailer.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:48 AM
Hummer Guru

Why, yes they dooooooo!

When I do get them, I will have "Miles" do it.

He's the HUMMER Bomb mechanic from Sac Hummer.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Hummer Guru

NEOCON1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was thinking....... im gonna get some spy shots
* Rollin with the Banned and the Damned *

"Fred Thompson for President "