H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H1 Discussion Forums > General H1 Discussion

Old 12-28-2005, 05:19 PM

Ibgummy is off the scale

Hi everyone. I am looking and researching trying to find out as much as I can before I buy. Correct me if I am wrong or add some info to help me out. I am looking at 94 and 95 Hummers. From what I have read they are the best to buy because they have OverDrive, Reclaining seats, AND better AC. I have read that the 96-00 Hummers have problems with the number 8 cyclinder going out due to overheating from the turbo. The Hummers from before 94 only go to 60 mph. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:05 PM
Hummer Expert

ckhagman is off the scale

I would start to read the year by year differences @ http://www.amghummer.com/features/Ch...ifferences.htm

and

http://www.lynchhummer.com/changes/h...ges.index.html

The AC in the 94 and 95's are not at all close to as good as a 97-1/2 or later (or upgraded AC) truck.

My seats in my 2000 are extremely comfortable and they do not recline like a normal car would but still a lot more comfortable than a sedan.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:49 AM

tmiller is off the scale

Look for a gasser, very easy to work on. No problems yet( only 25000 miles on it)I know of one with aprox 85000 miles and lots of offroad and no problems yet.You just have to keep up on the general maintance.The gas mileage isnt that bad either.10-11ish
Old 12-30-2005, 12:49 AM

tmiller is off the scale

I agree the A/C suks
Old 12-30-2005, 10:24 PM
Hummer Authority

ssgharkness020147 is an unknown quantity at this point

I reccomend getting a 97.5 or 98 with a new engine. An NA diesel is WAY underpowered, if you want to drive it every day you will find yourself wanting and needing more power really quickly. Most gasser owners also complain of a lack of power, the 400.00 sets of airfilters that are specd out to be replaced every 12K is something I personally would not mind avoiding.

-007=
Old 12-31-2005, 04:16 PM
Hummer Veteran

RonB is off the scale

I second the 97.5 or 98 with the turbo diesel recomendation. I wanted a pre TT4 truck with upgraded a/c.

RB
Old 01-03-2006, 01:13 AM

va_redneck is off the scale

I agree a pre ABS truck is best and the 97.5 or 98 are the best years if you find one with a new engine.

I am happy with my 95 NA and a little work on the IP and I am right up there with the TD in power. I could do more with a TD but I could not find one with a engine replaced after 2001. Most have been replaced with the same #8 problem potential.

Freedom does not come free...
Thanks to all that have served and to those who are actively protecting the freedom that we take for granted!
Old 01-06-2006, 12:57 AM
Hummer Veteran

Gadget is off the scale

I have a solid 98 for sale You can contact me at awolhmv@aol.com.
Mike Sabbrese of cerritos hummer can vouch for it as being in excellent mechanical shape
Old 01-23-2006, 10:44 AM

Tourist is off the scale

Definately listen to these guys.
97.5 and 98 are my first choice.
I'm on my 4th truck and started out with the underpowered 95. For an offroad truck, I'd look for BTM. If you're using it mainly on the street, I doubt you'll notice a big difference. Right now, I use my 97.5 offroad and my 99 for the street. I've been tempted to buy an older truck for offroad..like 93ish, but the H1 is so underpowered already with a TD. Watch ebay and trader online for great deals. I picked up the 97.5 for $24K, and the 99 for $32K. The 97.5 had a new engine put in under warranty in 6/2001.....so, they are out there. Just be ready to pounce on the deals. I'd recommend looking at the truck before you buy. Some deals are too good to pass up though. You can get them shipped to you across the country for about a thousand dollars. The only other real good info I can add is.....I also recommend you get an AAA motorclub membership for its towing benefits. Things break at the worst times. Before I had it, I got a towing bill for $378. that would have been about $60. if I had AAA at the time. I hope you find the right truck.

Regards,
Jerry
95 HMCS grn-sold
Old 01-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Hummer Professional

Joe is off the scale

clearly the answer is a used 2006 , after that a used 2004 (lockers) and then 2003 (locker,s). Then 1997.5/98. The TT4 vs. non-TT4 debate could be waged on either side. I for one have a 2001 and short of trucks with lockers have little to complain about.

In the end the biggest part of answering the question is what's the budget.

2003 H2

Homepage:
http://www.hummerh1.net
Old 01-23-2006, 11:48 AM

Tourist is off the scale

Yeah, Looked at an 04 that Lockhart Hummer had for $71,000. out the door(may still have it), I just couldn't see the depreciation being worth it. I ended up with the 97.5 wagon, 05 Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R, 06 KLR650, 05 MV7, 06 XR200(for the g/f) and cash to spare for parts. Budget??? well, I still have $20K left for....what ever. As much as I like owning a "new" vehicle, I couldn't promise that I wouldn't put scratches and dents in it. Once the 06 Alpha has some of the kinks worked out it will take the H1 to a new level. I'm sure it will be a few years before the price come down to my level. You do have a point! Lockers are a must. The nice thing about the late 90's truck is that the price is coming down where it is an afforable offroad truck for me.

Jerry
95 HMCS grn-sold
Old 01-26-2006, 01:59 AM

t3h w00t! is off the scale

My first choice would be a '98 (a little biased) BTM is sweet. Next in line would definatly be an '06.

Nick
Old 01-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm also looking at getting a used Hummer. I would like to wait a couple of years to get a used 2006, but I am probably too impatient. Mostly looking at 2003 or later. I have a few questions: If my best deal is one without the adventure package, is it possible and how much would it cost to (1) put a new Duramax diesel in there?; (2) Allison trans? (3) rear end locker? (4) front end locker?
Also, I used to drive them in the USMC, and I can't recall, but does it really have a mere 26ft turning radius? If so, that's awesome. How is that possible?
Thanks in advance for any input
Old 01-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

You still want one after driving them in Corps, When I was in, the Humvees always seem to be in the shop or INOP most of the time, it kinda made me shy away from buying one. Living in the city I really don't have a place to wrench on one. I would still like to have an older one as a beater not as a daily driver.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Hummer Guru

MarineHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Semper fi.
I had some of the same experience, but, at least in part, wrote it off to the fact that we probably didn't do as much preventative maintenance as we should own and probably drove them a lot harder.
When they were running, we had a great time driving them through near impassible terrain in 29 Palms and Saudi Arabia.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Hummer Authority

Location: In da Chi! I am not only the originator of the H.O.A.B. club. I am also a member
Mr. I - Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Its funny that you mention 29 stumps our Humvee broke down right on the ridgeline over quakenbush dry lake. In the middle of a freak desert monsoon we had leave it there in a hurry because that was the highest point for miles and our hair was starting to stick up.
Lighting + mountain top = French Fried Grunts