Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > General Hummer Talk > In the News

Old 06-02-2003, 01:00 AM

maybe some day... is off the scale

Owners say H2 commands attention
By Janis Mara
BUSINESS WRITER - Oakland Tribune

Sunday, June 01, 2003 - YOU CAN SCOFF at the Hummer H2 all you like, but Todd Barrow will tell you quite clearly why people buy it: "You can't find a bigger ego vehicle than the Hummer."

Barrow, contacted via consumer auto information site Edmunds.com, said he saw the H2 concept car in July 2000 and immediately put down a deposit.

"Eighteen months later, I got my H2. I've been happy with it ever since," he said.

Other owners contacted about their H2's had nothing but rave reviews for their cars.

"It helps my business," said Ron Mosley, who bought his H2 at Hummer of Pleasanton.

Mosley, who is the CEO of RBL Corp., a San Francisco real estate firm, said, "It makes a good impression on clients when you pull up in a car that has the aura of success.

"A million-dollar Realtor doesn't drive up in a jalopy," he said. "Clients are enthused when they see the H2. I have a Bentley, but my H2 is my drive-around car now. It's a conversation piece."

Mosley, who has a green H2, said he also likes the way it handles, though he did say the parking isn't very good in San Francisco.

Colleen Lemmons of Antioch said she and her husband Dennis are happy with the H2 they purchased in October 2002.

The two have not taken their H2

off-road yet "because the weather has been so nasty," she said. There have been a couple of minor problems with the car, "nothing with the engine," and these have been resolved, Lemmons said.

"The gas mileage is no different from other SUVs," Lemmons said.

Lemmons said she and her husband get "a lot of attention" when driving the H2. Also, "the grandkids love it," Lemmons said.

Barrow, a Cypress, Texas, sales manager for a builder, has a black Hummer, the most popular color, according to GM. The carmaker said 26 percent of Hummers are black, with pewter the next most popular and yellow coming in third.

Barrow mostly fits the demographic of H2 early buyers. A study released by GM in the first quarter of 2003 found that 73 percent are male, 77 percent are married, 78 percent are white and 57 percent are college graduates. The median age is 41 (Barrow is 34) and the median income is $215,475 (Barrow declined to give his income).

"People think it's hard to drive, but with the air suspension underneath, it rides smoother than my GMC Yukon XL," he said.

Barrow said he doesn't find parking difficult, though he does park at the far end of the lot. Mostly he drives around town, though he did go off-road once.

His mileage is 10.5 miles per gallon now that he has a roof rack.

"J.D. Powers (the widely cited automobile quality survey) bashed the H2 because of its gas mileage," Barrow said. "Well, you have something with a gross vehicle weight of 8,600 pounds fully loaded and the aerodynamics of a brick. If you expect to get great gas mileage out of it, you're an idiot."

The Lemmons found the vehicle's price competitive with other SUVs they were looking at.

"We liked the look of the H1, but it wasn't practical for driving around town," she said. "Pricewise, the H2 is reasonable compared to other SUVs. The H2 starts at around $50,000 and Range Rovers are around $70,000."

Carla Fillippone of Moraga and her husband Ross purchased their H2 in August. Like the Lemmons, Fillippone said her grandchildren love the car. She also said it's a good mountain car.

"We have a place in Tahoe and sometimes drive through snow," said Fillippone. "We carry chains but seldom have to use them. The tires are big and beefy."

The Fillippones used the car to pull a neighbor's car out of a ditch, she said, and also towed a boat with the H2. For months, Fillippone said, her husband yearned for an H2, but she kept insisting on a Suburban or a Chevy Tahoe. After driving an H2, she finally changed her mind.

"I picked Ross up at the BART station and surprised him," she said. "His jaw just dropped."

"I got major points for that one," said Fillippone, "but now he wants an H-1."
Old 06-02-2003, 01:00 AM

Owners say H2 commands attention
By Janis Mara
BUSINESS WRITER - Oakland Tribune

Sunday, June 01, 2003 - YOU CAN SCOFF at the Hummer H2 all you like, but Todd Barrow will tell you quite clearly why people buy it: "You can't find a bigger ego vehicle than the Hummer."

Barrow, contacted via consumer auto information site Edmunds.com, said he saw the H2 concept car in July 2000 and immediately put down a deposit.

"Eighteen months later, I got my H2. I've been happy with it ever since," he said.

Other owners contacted about their H2's had nothing but rave reviews for their cars.

"It helps my business," said Ron Mosley, who bought his H2 at Hummer of Pleasanton.

Mosley, who is the CEO of RBL Corp., a San Francisco real estate firm, said, "It makes a good impression on clients when you pull up in a car that has the aura of success.

"A million-dollar Realtor doesn't drive up in a jalopy," he said. "Clients are enthused when they see the H2. I have a Bentley, but my H2 is my drive-around car now. It's a conversation piece."

Mosley, who has a green H2, said he also likes the way it handles, though he did say the parking isn't very good in San Francisco.

Colleen Lemmons of Antioch said she and her husband Dennis are happy with the H2 they purchased in October 2002.

The two have not taken their H2

off-road yet "because the weather has been so nasty," she said. There have been a couple of minor problems with the car, "nothing with the engine," and these have been resolved, Lemmons said.

"The gas mileage is no different from other SUVs," Lemmons said.

Lemmons said she and her husband get "a lot of attention" when driving the H2. Also, "the grandkids love it," Lemmons said.

Barrow, a Cypress, Texas, sales manager for a builder, has a black Hummer, the most popular color, according to GM. The carmaker said 26 percent of Hummers are black, with pewter the next most popular and yellow coming in third.

Barrow mostly fits the demographic of H2 early buyers. A study released by GM in the first quarter of 2003 found that 73 percent are male, 77 percent are married, 78 percent are white and 57 percent are college graduates. The median age is 41 (Barrow is 34) and the median income is $215,475 (Barrow declined to give his income).

"People think it's hard to drive, but with the air suspension underneath, it rides smoother than my GMC Yukon XL," he said.

Barrow said he doesn't find parking difficult, though he does park at the far end of the lot. Mostly he drives around town, though he did go off-road once.

His mileage is 10.5 miles per gallon now that he has a roof rack.

"J.D. Powers (the widely cited automobile quality survey) bashed the H2 because of its gas mileage," Barrow said. "Well, you have something with a gross vehicle weight of 8,600 pounds fully loaded and the aerodynamics of a brick. If you expect to get great gas mileage out of it, you're an idiot."

The Lemmons found the vehicle's price competitive with other SUVs they were looking at.

"We liked the look of the H1, but it wasn't practical for driving around town," she said. "Pricewise, the H2 is reasonable compared to other SUVs. The H2 starts at around $50,000 and Range Rovers are around $70,000."

Carla Fillippone of Moraga and her husband Ross purchased their H2 in August. Like the Lemmons, Fillippone said her grandchildren love the car. She also said it's a good mountain car.

"We have a place in Tahoe and sometimes drive through snow," said Fillippone. "We carry chains but seldom have to use them. The tires are big and beefy."

The Fillippones used the car to pull a neighbor's car out of a ditch, she said, and also towed a boat with the H2. For months, Fillippone said, her husband yearned for an H2, but she kept insisting on a Suburban or a Chevy Tahoe. After driving an H2, she finally changed her mind.

"I picked Ross up at the BART station and surprised him," she said. "His jaw just dropped."

"I got major points for that one," said Fillippone, "but now he wants an H-1."
Old 06-02-2003, 03:14 AM

DiscoDancingRover is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maybe some day...:

"A million-dollar Realtor doesn't drive up in a jalopy," he said. "Clients are enthused when they see the H2. I have a Bentley, but my H2 is my drive-around car now. It's a conversation piece."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on an H2 does not give more of an aura of success then a Bentley, that is crap. No matter which why you put it. $50k vs. $150k car, come on!
Old 06-02-2003, 03:23 AM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Great job Todd.

Sure the H2 has an aura of success in San Fran. Come on Man. Look how left wing that area is. It takes a person of serious influence to drive an H2 safely in that crazy town of Granolas. Jeez....

Black Lingenfelter Lux
Old 06-02-2003, 11:49 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris:
Come on an H2 does not give more of an aura of success then a Bentley, that is crap. No matter which why you put it. $50k vs. $150k car, come on!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where in that article does he even hint that he thinks the H2 "gives more of an aura of success than a Bentley"????
All I see is him saying that it has replaced the Bentley as his daily driver, implying that the H2 is seen as a sign of success while saying nothing negative about the Bentley. I think you read more into this than was stated.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:22 PM

In my quote. I can see how you might think i am SOMEWHAT reading into it, but not very much at all.
Old 06-03-2003, 03:32 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris:
In my quote. I can see how you might think i am SOMEWHAT reading into it, but not very much at all.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 06-03-2003, 04:09 PM

bklynh2srock is off the scale

Oy vey, Chris, I am available to help tutor you on reading comprehension for any tests you may have.

Alright, lets go step-by-step through that quote:

1) H2 makes good impression/has aura of success: Easy, right? He thinks that people think he's wealthy when he drives H2.

2) realtor doesn't drive up in a jalopy: Again, easy. He is saying he would not drive up in, say, a rusted-out Disco

3) clients are enthused: Sigh, easy again. Clients seem happy when they see H2

4) have Bentley, but H2 is now drive-around car/it's a conversation piece: AAArgh! How easy is this one? People start asking him questions or make statments about H2 when he drives it so he has made it daily driver instead of Bentley.

I am available for online tutelage because as an ALJ, I am paid to dissect what people say and read into what they don't say. I would be happy, too, if I got money from you to tutor you to improve your reading comp. Take your SAT's yet? I aced Verbals. I can help.

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.
but she knows what she knows.
Give that girl wings and that\'s all she wrote.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

1- The Bentley is often in the shop, plus it is very worrisome to park the Bentley in any City.

2- How much an auto cost does not translate directly into the preception of wealth. I have had expensive Benz for decades, but when I got a Jaguar, strangers said to me "Wow, you must be rich!" Wait a minute, did I wasted all those years and money on Benz? Hummer has a far more forceful presence and the ignorant mass think it is expensive, that's all it takes.

3- San Francisco is indeed far far left, but if you are in the right neighborhood, deal with the right people, socialize in the right circles, left-wing politics is merely a backdrop, you just know you will lose every election, that's all. A big chunk of many nice neighborhoods in the City and in the Bay area are no different than any other towns. There are 6 million people in the greater Bay area, 51% vote left, 49% vote right. It would be unwise for any thinking person to write off that 49%, 2,940,000 people.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:38 PM
Hummer Messiah

KenP is an unknown quantity at this point

Good point Mac, but I love things here in VB.

Nationally:
The state went for Pres. Bush
We have two Republican Senators
We are represented in the House by a Republican

Statewide (or should I say Across the Commonwealth):
Our State Senators are Republican
ALL our State Delegates are Republican
While the Governor is a Democrat, he has been towing a conservative line since his election. He recognizes that is what he must do to get things done here.

Locally:
Well, the majority of City Council members are conservative (party affiliation is frowned upon)
The Sheriff is Republican
The Clerk of Court is Republican
The City Treasurer is Republican
The Commonwealth's Attorney is Republican

I guess many students at Berkely would freak out if they lived here. The Republican Party is so strong here that many elections go unchallenged. Frankly, that is a problem that I recognize and one I wish the Dems would address. But, they do not want to waste money on a losing cause, ie. facing a Republican incumbent.

So, I guess we are the same, but different over here.

What can I tell you Mac, I love it here just fine.

Black Lingenfelter Lux
Old 06-04-2003, 01:22 AM

Yes i did take my SATs, 3 times. I am not some retarded punk like you all think. I read into things differently then some of you so you have no reason to give me ****! And my disco isn't rusted out. I have driven both a bentley and an H2, i would drive the bentley over the H2 any day, come on seriously.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:23 AM

can't forget this also...and bklynh2srock you could learn to be a bit nicer. You people complain about us disco owners as being ass hole, and you say this ****. I showed that to my whole family and family and almost all of them agreed with me...so this is all i have to say
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2003, 01:30 AM

Wow, you disco guys can sure dish it out, but you sure can't take it. I guess I didn't put enough smiley faces or something.

I am curious as to why you would take the SAT's three times. Back in the day, when I took them (1987 or so), you generally took them once. The only time you took it a second time was if your scores were not so great, but I had never heard of three times. Are they having you take it multiple times for practice now, starting in Freshman year?
Old 06-04-2003, 01:45 AM

I showed that to my whole family<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wanted to show this thread to my family - unfortunately I could not because of the language that you have employed.
Before you get all whiney on me - I can curse with the best of them - but this is NOT the place for it - this is a forum that caters to people from many different backgrounds, tastes, etcetera. Without being all PC (I hate political correctness) you must realize that your language only served to lower the tone of the discussion and contributed nothing - unless you intended to prove that you couldn't make your point without the use of profanity.

"Profanity is like secondhand smoke. You may have a right to produce it, but please, not in my space. Why should I or my family be exposed to the pollution you exhale?"- David Clark Scott, "Christian Science Monitor".
Old 06-04-2003, 01:47 AM

No you only have to take it once, however I wanted to get the best possible combination thats why i took it 3 times. I took it at the end of junior and twice durin senior. See sarcasm is hard to put on the internet. Maybe put something like taht in there, i am an extremely black and white person so i reacted the way i did for that reason.
Old 06-04-2003, 02:49 AM
Hummer Authority

MAC is off the scale

Chris, I thought Mellisa was simply joking, as she always does with me or anyone else. Since she is a woman, nobody ever got upset at her. If I ever said any of the things she said, all the rednecks would be chasing and hanging me.

To pick a Bentley over an Hummer is a very wrong thing to say. Not just here, but in my humble opinion, not correct. You can easily buy a used Bentley for the same or less cost than Hummer, they are generally in excellent condition, but not trouble free. It is also a matter of personal style, you sound far more solid to me than to be a man who dreams about Bentley. By choice, I picked Hummer over Bentley, we all did.

Obviously, I have no opinion on foul language as everyone knows.

Chris, you have been examplary member with solid contribution. Take it easy. John Wayne never got mad at a girl. Do I need to put happy faces everywhere to make people know I am joking?

[This message was edited by MAC on 06-03-03 at 10:17 PM.]
Old 06-04-2003, 01:19 PM

yes
Old 06-04-2003, 01:24 PM

MAC, I am ashamed of you. I NEVER expect preferential treatment because I am a woman!
Old 06-04-2003, 02:31 PM
Hummer Guru

BKLYNH2 is an unknown quantity at this point

There ya go with the rednecks again! What's the matter, did your parents make you wear a mullet as a boy? So what if you have an H2. You have never tipped a cow or shagged a sheep, you might be a redneck if you owned a jeep. Why I ought to chase you down, and hang you.

[This message was edited for excessive use of redneck smilies]
Old 06-04-2003, 05:31 PM

maybe I should do this....(no bad words)
Attached Images