H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H3 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H3

Old 12-09-2005, 05:52 AM
Hummer Novice

spark is an unknown quantity at this point

Does Anyone have a rattle in there drivers side door. It's nuthing major but it bugs me while driving or when the base from my stereo kicks in. Im gonna do some investigating this weekend but i thought i'd ask incase any of you have had the same problem. If i can't , they i guess its a trip to the dealership. thanx
Old 12-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Hummer Guru

f5fstop is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPULA:
Same here. Both driver and passenger doors rattle like crazy. The upper right and left corners where the outer molding meets the inner. Dealer says they can't do anything about it. Anyone have the issue corrected by a dealer? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dealers; love 'em or hate 'em.
Any rattle on any vehicle can be fixed. It might require removing and replacing the door panels a few times, but with the use of the following great inventions, any rattle or knock CAN BE fixed.
1. Velcro-Not only used to attach two parts, the softer piece can be used to stop rattles and knocks by adding a fill to the area that is rattling. Also great to stop itching between two plastic parts (especially in the colder months when the plastic contracts).
Used together, it can hold two parts to prevent them from rattling or knocking.
2. Dense cell foam-Another great product to shove between two different parts to prevent them from rattling or knocking. Even make this stuff with adhesive on one or both sides.
3. Two-sided tape-Used the same as dense cell foam, but a lot thinner.
4. Tie-straps-Harness rattles are common, just tie-strap the harness to a door frame brace.
When using any of these items, just make sure to verify the part will not interfere with window, or door lock rods operation.
5. 3M Anti-Itch Tape-Placed between two pieces of plastic, will stop that horrible itching noise common when two plastic parts meet. (Thinner than the Velcro idea, and just as effective.)

My Hummer is rattle free; thought I had a rattle in the back, but forgot I had two cans in that little compartment, and they were the reason. My 2003 Vette, had rattles in both doors and a buzzing when the bass speaker hit the low ends. Took a few times to remove and replace the door panels, but after about one-hour, all problems were solved.

I won't tell you to fix rattles and/or knocking yourself, since I believe the dealer should be MADE to repair the problem under warranty. But sometimes, at least in my mind, it is better to fix minor problems oneself. Keeps my blood pressure under control, due to not having to feel like I should cleanse the gene pool by making some ignorant dealer representative disappear.

<span class="ev_code_RED">LET ME ADD A CAUTION:</span>
If you have side air curtains, and you do decide to mess around inside the door, be careful of the side impact sensor, located toward the bottom of the door. Also, be cautious of any <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">YELLOW</span> connectors; since <span class="ev_code_YELLOW">YELLOW</span> connectors denote SIR system.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:00 AM
Hummer Guru

If you want the door removal procedure let me know. Just send me a message at f5fstop@comcast.net.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:52 AM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Door Rattle

Got a door rattle driver side almost sounds like the mirror. When pulled off it still does it. Argh! Checked behind the door panel nothing loose. Anyone similar problems with solutions/ideas...
(John 3:16)
2006 H3 Slate Blue,Header,Jacked,CAI,Toyo35's,HHO.
Priors...
Explorer
Commander
71 Vette
You Name it!
Old 01-01-2007, 02:49 AM
Hummer Professional

BACKNBLACK is off the scale

Ok I am on now my 2nd H3 and on BOTH of them I had to fix the Driver and passenger door rattle. Here is what my problem was.

If you open the Driver/Passenger door and look into the inside mount of the jamb you will see the door is hung on 2 hinges. (1 top and 1 bottom) the nuts were both very loose almost off which caused my doors to rattle. I went around all the doors and ended up tightening only the front driver and passenger door hinges. Its a tight squeeze to tighten the bolts but not too bad. Good Luck

Rattle Gone.

I hope this helps.
Number# 11 2007 H3x Desert Orange

SOLD BUT NOT FORGOTTON
1995 H1 350 HT GAS Black
2001 H1 Open Top Black
2004 H2 SUV Yellow
2004 H2 SUV Black
2005 H2 SUT Black
2006 H3 ADV Black
2006 H3 ADV RED
2007 H3x Desert Orange
2008 H2 Black/Sedona
2009 H3T Alpha Solar Flare
Old 01-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Hummer Veteran

pdsq99f4 is on a distinguished road

Make sure that the door unlocks from the outside with the key. If it doesn't, then the lock rod came disconnected from the lock cylinder. You may need to bend the arm on the lock cylinder to keep from knocking the rod out.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Hummer Veteran

aetherH3 is off the scale

i have a rattle in the rear compartment door where the jack is. Its not in the door, it IS the door. the plastic/plastic rubbing.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:22 AM
Hummer Novice

Thanx f5fstop. I will take that into consideration. For some reason i have a distrust im dealer mechanics, the reason being is that a few of my friends used to work at a reputable toyota dealership in southern california and they would tell me about all the crazy stupid stuff they would do to customers cars. And it wasnt' just them, there were more people involved in these shinanigans. Now i know everyone isn't like that but for a minor problem like this i think i'd rather try and fix it myself.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:52 AM
Hummer Novice

Does Anyone have a rattle in there drivers side door. It's nuthing major but it bugs me while driving or when the base from my stereo kicks in. Im gonna do some investigating this weekend but i thought i'd ask incase any of you have had the same problem. If i can't , they i guess its a trip to the dealership. thanx
Old 12-09-2005, 11:41 PM

BIGPOPPAPULA is off the scale

Same here. Both driver and passenger doors rattle like crazy. The upper right and left corners where the outer molding meets the inner. Dealer says they can't do anything about it. Anyone have the issue corrected by a dealer?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Hummer Guru

No. Could be something as simple as a connector falling of the retainer, loose screw, etc.