Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > General Hummer Talk > In the News

Old 08-17-2006, 02:03 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default More Mileage for Hummers?

More Mileage for Hummers?
By LEE HAWKINS JR.
June 28, 2006; Page B1

DETROIT -- With inventories of the Hummer H2 and H3 piling up amid high gas prices, two Detroit area Hummer dealerships are getting creative about boosting fuel efficiency. But the move has raised the eyebrows of General Motors Corp. and Hummer brand brass.
Detroit Hummer and Hummer of Novi are trying to woo consumers with what they call the "Mileage Maximizer," a mechanical modification they claim helps the hulking vehicles get 25 miles per gallon in highway driving. By comparison, an unaltered H3 gets 19 to 20 miles per gallon on the highway, according to Hummer spokesman Nick Richards.
A motorist gasses up her Hummer; two dealers claim they can increase the vehicle's mileage.The improvements come at a price, though. GM and Hummer officials haven't endorsed the adjustments, and say they may not honor the warranties on the altered vehicles.
Even so, the promotion has helped ignite H2 and H3 sales at the two Detroit area locations, says Gary Krupa, general manager of Hummer of Novi. The dealerships are charging customers $189.95 for the "Mileage Maximizer." Mr. Krupa says they sold about a dozen modified Hummers in the first three weeks of the promotion. The chain is now considering modifying vehicles at other Detroit-area Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge stores it owns "within the next month or so," according to Russ Reimer, the service director who runs the service shops at both Hummer dealerships.
The modification uses a device manufactured by Air Synergy Labs Inc., one of hundreds of aftermarket parts companies across the country that are using homegrown methods to try to boost fuel efficiency. Spencer Robley, chairman and president of the Las Vegas-based company says his company's product -- which it calls a "Vortex Valve" -- can help drivers increase fuel efficiency as much as 30%, though he concedes there's no official verification of that claim. "Federal, state, local [government agencies], nobody will certify anything that has to do with us," Mr. Robley says. "Nobody wants to hang their hat on it and certify anything that has to do with mileage." The company says it has sold 120,000 valves since they launched the product in 1998; the Detroit area stores are the first car dealers to feature it.
According to Synergy Labs, the valve works by rechanneling and increasing the air that goes into a vehicle's intake manifold, allowing more oxygen to be present during engine combustion. As a result, the company claims, fuel is burned more efficiently. Mr. Robley says the technology can be used in any vehicle's engine and with any kind of fuel, including petroleum, hydrogen, and ethanol.
Hummer's Mr. Richards says that while GM hasn't had a chance to examine the vehicles, the company generally advises consumers and dealers against making tweaks. "We spend years optimizing everything for performance, ride and handling, overall vehicle efficiency, durability and long-term reliability and to meet current and future emission standards," he says. "We've got a lot of very smart engineers who have been doing this for their entire lives. If it were that simple, they would have already discovered it."
John Millett, a spokesman for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, which regulates vehicle emissions, says the agency isn't aware of the Hummer promotion in Michigan, but warns that attempts to boost fuel economy can sometimes increase vehicle emissions. "It's safe to say, in general, that in any situation, tampering with the emissions controls devices on any vehicle certified by the EPA is against the law," Mr. Millett says.
Mr. Reimer at the Hummer dealerships contends that "if you are burning the gas better, you are actually creating [fewer] emissions....We've had some customers already call us back and say they have seen an improvement."
Old 08-17-2006, 02:44 AM
Hummer Professional

2-H2's has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Re: More Mileage for Hummers?

"We've got a lot of very smart engineers who have been doing this for their entire lives. If it were that simple, they would have already discovered it."

So, which one one of the nija-queers developed the tie rods? Or were they all absent on tie-rod day
Old 08-17-2006, 03:55 PM
Hummer Professional

Boar-Ral is an unknown quantity at this point

I called the company that manufactures the product, and they are extremely friendly people. He asked me to call him once I install mine to report my mileage, so they can use it for their statistics. He also told me that if I did not see an increase in fuel economy to contact him so that I can get a refund. I felt that for that price, and with such friendly people, I really have nothing to lose. We'll see how it goes, though. I've heard such mixed reviews on these things, but if it does what it claims, it will pay itself off within a few weeks.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Steve - SanJose

Right oh.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Hummer Authority

ree is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve - SanJose
Right oh.
Eks two.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:34 AM
Hummer Veteran

SUT NEIL is on a distinguished road

Paragon and Klaus:

I'm interested in your thoughts concerning this. Thanks!
2005 SUT: Firemist Red/Ebony; LUX; Sunroof; Uplevel Chrome Pkg; NAV; Air Suspension; Remote Start; Superchip; Volant CAI & MAF; 2006 Chrome SE Wheels & Front Brushguard; Front & Rear Cameras & Park Sensors With Audible Alarms & Digital Displays; Custom Tiger Stripe Interior Panels & Steering Wheel By OEMDASH; Bassani SS Exhaust; Wet Okole Seat Covers; Defenderworx Chrome Billet Tow Loops & Side Air Vents; HotShot System

1970 Pontiac Trans AM
2000 Mercedes SL500 AMG Sport
2006 C280 4Matic
Old 08-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Hummer Professional

obzidian is on a distinguished road

is this similar to the turbonator? Seems like it. I guess if they are willing to refund your money back if doesn't work, well, i say go for it. But that refund has to be 100% for me... though, it really isn't a whole lot of cash really.... im sure you can sell it!!
Old 08-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never seen a nationally recognized testing lab post positive results from any of these devices. I haven't seen these, but I suspect they only lighten your wallet.

Consumer Reports did some testing on the usual suspects in June:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...view/index.htm
Old 08-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus
I've never seen a nationally recognized testing lab post positive results from any of these devices. I haven't seen these, but I suspect they only lighten your wallet.

Consumer Reports did some testing on the usual suspects in June:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...view/index.htm
Less weight = more MPG. That is how it works, then!

Seriously though, I wouldn't mind trying one. Mythbusters did a show on things to increase fuel economy, but unfortunately, these types of devices were not tested.

I wouldn't mind trying them with the money-back guarantee, though if they twiddle their thumbs and take their time getting the money back to the purchaser, that sucks.

I've heard a lot of negative things about similar products in the past, but I'd like to see for myself.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:16 PM
Hummer Professional

HummerLV is off the scale

110% money back, if not completely satisfied
looks like one of the tornado things to me

http://www.vortexvalve.com/

Last edited by HummerLV : 08-22-2006 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Banned

lotus4s is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I ordered one and will do a semi-scientific test on it and post the results. It probably won't work so I'm looking forward to the 110% refund.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus4s
Well I ordered one and will do a semi-scientific test on it and post the results. It probably won't work so I'm looking forward to the 110% refund.
You should have ordered 10.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:37 AM
Hummer Messiah

DRTYFN is an unknown quantity at this point

If you put 2 of them together does it work twice as effectively?
Old 08-23-2006, 03:12 AM
Banned

lotus4s is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boar-Ral
You should have ordered 10.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:11 AM
Hummer Guru

wpage is on a distinguished road

Ye of little faith
Old 08-25-2006, 12:43 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage
Ye of little faith
I would love to see this product work more than anyone, but I think it is easier to set low expectations and be surprised than to hold out hope and then be disappointed when it doesn't live up to expectations.* I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:57 PM
Hummer Professional

DURAMAX TIM is off the scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTYFN
If you put 2 of them together does it work twice as effectively?

if u put them in backwards it uses twice as much fuel or one right and one wrong they cancel each other out.

They claim it even helps the dmax trucks, what the TURBO doesn't spin the air enough
Ex H2&3 owner
My hiking boots and canoe paddle have more miles than most 'offroad' vehicles, over 350 in last year.
Old 08-30-2006, 01:59 AM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by DURAMAX TIM
if u put them in backwards it uses twice as much fuel or one right and one wrong they cancel each other out.

They claim it even helps the dmax trucks, what the TURBO doesn't spin the air enough
In their defense, there is a big difference between the air circulating through a turbocharger and the actual twisting vortex that their product aims to achieve.* One is like driving around in a circle, the other is like rolling your vehicle.
Old 08-30-2006, 04:18 AM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boar-Ral
In their defense, there is a big difference between the air circulating through a turbocharger and the actual twisting vortex that their product aims to achieve.* One is like driving around in a circle, the other is like rolling your vehicle.
No it's not. It's absolutely nothing in the remote vastness beyond realism close to what you just described.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAGON
No it's not. It's absolutely nothing in the remote vastness beyond realism close to what you just described.
Then enlighten me.