H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 10-16-2003, 01:30 AM

hummer17 is off the scale

Ok, here is a challenge:

Since GM couldn't get it right, for those with the 2004 H2 with the Nav system...

Try getting the CD changer unit from a Caddy Escalade (03 should work), it should fit exactly where the OnStar system is currently located.

Then, see if there is any way to interface it with the Nav system. There should be as this is EXACTLY the same Nav system as is found in the '03 Caddy Escalade which has a 6 CD changer.

If you really want to be enterprising, see if you can get your hands on the rear-view mirror with the On-Star buttons from a Caddy or any other GM for that matter. This way when you remove the H2 OnStar to put the CD-Changer in its place you'll still have the buttons (I believe there should be a way to interface this as well).

With all the brain and tinkering power on this board it seems that this should be easily done and prove to be a huge upgrade. Heck, if you can figure it out, you could probably make a kit out of it and sell it to other 2004 H2 owners.

Be brave and post your results here.

Please no comments on using aftermarket Navs on this thread - not the point - trying to go OEM and improve upon GM's slip-up...
Old 10-16-2003, 01:30 AM

Ok, here is a challenge:

Since GM couldn't get it right, for those with the 2004 H2 with the Nav system...

Try getting the CD changer unit from a Caddy Escalade (03 should work), it should fit exactly where the OnStar system is currently located.

Then, see if there is any way to interface it with the Nav system. There should be as this is EXACTLY the same Nav system as is found in the '03 Caddy Escalade which has a 6 CD changer.

If you really want to be enterprising, see if you can get your hands on the rear-view mirror with the On-Star buttons from a Caddy or any other GM for that matter. This way when you remove the H2 OnStar to put the CD-Changer in its place you'll still have the buttons (I believe there should be a way to interface this as well).

With all the brain and tinkering power on this board it seems that this should be easily done and prove to be a huge upgrade. Heck, if you can figure it out, you could probably make a kit out of it and sell it to other 2004 H2 owners.

Be brave and post your results here.

Please no comments on using aftermarket Navs on this thread - not the point - trying to go OEM and improve upon GM's slip-up...
Old 10-16-2003, 02:25 PM

Drag is off the scale

From what I understand, the CD changer from an Escalade is compatable, since it has a class two bus system. Anything else, and you would have to mount additional controls for the CD changer. This way, your CD changer will play based on using the controls that are in the nav system already.

My question is, we already have clarification that the nav won't work at the same time as the CD player as stock. I wonder if this modification will allow playing a CD and the nav DVD at the same time, or is one system dominant over the other. Maybe someone with an Escalade or GMC Yukon Denali can answer if they can play a CD and use their nav at the same time.

Personally, I'd think more about aftermarket CD changer and instead of having it in dash, just mount it elsewhere in your rig, but you said that you want to go OEM, so I won't go any further than that.

Corvette= "The ability to pass with class"
Old 10-17-2003, 01:07 AM

Drag Racer,

I just finished driving a 2003 Caddy Escalade and I can tell you that you absolutely can use the Nav and the 6 CD-changer at the same time.

That's exactly why I put the challenge out there. It works in the Caddy and should work in our beasts.

Can anyone out there give it a try?
Old 10-18-2003, 04:18 AM

cmb31078 is off the scale

I would love to know this also since I am a owner of a '04 H2 with the nav. If this works out it would be great. I guess we need to find a tech who can get us the wiring diagram for both mirrors and radios so we know where the wires go to. So if anyone out there can help please let me know. Thanks for those who reply.

Craig

04 Pewter H2- Lux,nav, air suspension
Old 10-18-2003, 06:15 AM

Hummer17,
Are you able to set destination and use other nav funcions while travelling above 8mph in the escalade? I was wondering because you cannot in the H2. I was seeing if there are any differences that might suggest a slightly different unit. Thanks.

Craig

Old 10-18-2003, 04:42 PM

CMB,

You can program the Nav at above 8mph, but I can guarantee you that it is absolutely the exact same unit - possibly just with different programming / flash ROMs. Trust me, I did this several times when driving the Escalade and nearly crashed.

I am more concerned about the 6-CD Changer interface. There has to be a way to do this.

There is a member here named Crash that is a H2 Tech that may be able to answer some of these questions or at least open up the dash at work and see if there is an interface for the factory 6-CD changer.

By the way, I also tested playing a DVD movie on the Caddy Nav system. It would not work in park or while driving. Said it could not recognize the disk. Again, probably programming of the flash ROM, not anything mechanical/functional with the unit. IF you could find someone that knew how to program the Nav system you could be in business. They are made by Delphi, maybe we could get a technical service manual for the Caddy and one for the H2 and figure it out...

Let's keep investigating.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:59 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Just so you know, I called Delphi about this. They are not interested in helping in any way.

The Hummer Area Rep was at my dealer recently, and he said that the wiring was different on the '04s, and that GM had no plans to work on a retrofit.

I'm sure GM *could* do this if they wanted, but it would require some custom programming.

IMO, the only thing that *might* work would be to add a 6 disc changer to an '04.

Klaus

"God made some men big and some men small, but Sam Colt made them all equal."
Old 10-18-2003, 10:34 PM

Centerfire is off the scale

Evening all!.. Regarding the GPS . 1st lst let me say I love gadgets.. more gadgets the better. That being said... why all the hubbub about having a GPS in dash for your H2.. Not just you necessarily. just people in general. Do folks not know where they are going before they live home? Just a bit curious.

PS. just logged on.. this is a great site. I am use to answering question on our bulletin board ( not H2 related).. This is refreshing to simply look for answers to questions.. I already found a couple of answers for unasked questions that I had. Like where to put switches for my red and blue strobes without whoring up my interrior..

Mike
Old 10-18-2003, 10:54 PM

Klaus,
This is what we are working towards. Just adding the "Escalade" 6 disc changer and the "escalade" rear view mirror. This way we can install the 6 disc where the on star buttons currently are and move the on star to the mirror like the escalade has. This will also create a oem look and not have to have a RF changer which I am trying to avoid having all together. For any techs out there please try to help by getting wiring diagrams for the Escalade and the 04 hummer. Much would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for those who work on this.

Craig

Old 10-18-2003, 11:04 PM
Hummer Guru

Klaus is an unknown quantity at this point

There are so many nice things about NAV systems. Have you ever needed to find an address in a strange city?

I just got through making a 4 state, 1000 mile trip last week. It would have been nice to be able to look up things like food and hotel stops while traveling. As popular as NAV systems are becoming, I think before long businesses will advertise their lat/lon along with their addresses.

BTW, anyone who wants to "off-road" on an interstate, drive through New Orleans! Talk about a rough, bouncing road! The Natchez Trace Parkway in Mississippi was a relaxing drive.

Klaus

"God made some men big and some men small, but Sam Colt made them all equal."
Old 10-18-2003, 11:34 PM

Just wondered.. I do not travel very far by car/H2 if over 200 miles from home I fly.. I usually know where I need to go before living home.. IN home town I have alternative methods. LIke I said ,, I love gadgets. My 19 Suburban is lifted . roof rack, way too many off road lights, supercharger and more gadgets... including custom console with GPS. which I don't use.. it is just a cool gadget.. Boys and toys.. Mike
Old 10-18-2003, 11:34 PM

Just wondered.. I do not travel very far by car/H2 if over 200 miles from home I fly.. I usually know where I need to go before living home.. IN home town I have alternative methods. LIke I said ,, I love gadgets. My 19 Suburban is lifted . roof rack, way too many off road lights, supercharger and more gadgets... including custom console with GPS. which I don't use.. it is just a cool gadget.. Boys and toys.. Mike
Old 10-19-2003, 06:16 PM
Hummer Authority

NJ H2 has a little shameless behaviour in the past

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Centerfire:
Just wondered.. I do not travel very far by car/H2 if over 200 miles from home I fly.. I usually know where I need to go before living home.. IN home town I have alternative methods. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Centerfire, I use my NAV in and around my local are all the time. If you are looking to go out to dinner you can choose from any type of restaurant you like and sort by distance to locate them w/phone#'s to make reservations. Or just typing in an address within 200 miles of you home gets you there without using MAP QUEST and trying to read as you drive. Also once you get to where you are going and you want to explore that area a little you can drive wherever you want (get lost) and when you want to head home just click (HOME) and you're on your way! Not to mention if you want to check out a local winery or hotel to where you happen to be, it comes in very handy!

~JL~

Old 10-19-2003, 07:59 PM

I guess I'm the unusual H2 owner.. If I travel some where it is for a specific reason or need. I honestly do not have time for exploring.. Between my business and ppolice owrk I just have enough time to mow and play with Granddaughters...

Buy thanks for the insite..

Mike
Old 10-19-2003, 08:02 PM

Darn I just got a look at my last posting.. Ain't I one heck of a typist.
Mike
Old 10-20-2003, 07:08 PM

Drag is off the scale

Try Helm Publications They have wireing and service manuals, even DVD and CD Roms for some vehicles. Click on the aftermarket link and hit hummer. They may have some info that is helpful.

Corvette= "The ability to pass with class"
Old 10-21-2003, 10:34 AM

Helm does not have anything out on the 2004 H2 yet. That is why I was trying to find a tech or someone on here that knew a tech that might be able to help. Thanks to anyone that can help in advance.

Craig

Old 10-23-2003, 05:01 AM

I spoke with my local dealer and they said there is a dealership working on adding the XM option and they will let me know how it turns out. However they did not seem too helpful. I did however contact the dealership where I bought my 04 and they are looking into this more because they liked the idea. I will let you know as soon as I find out something. Anyone else out there know any more?

Craig

Old 10-26-2003, 08:14 PM

CMB,

Let's keep the momentum up on this subject.

I'll ask my local dealer as well.

(Centerfire was taking this, as well as other posts off topic - typical newbie...)