Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > ETC. Forums > Other Off-Roading Vehicles

Old 09-09-2003, 08:08 PM

SuperPoser is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 2slo4now:
Hey CronusTRD

Your right your 1950's straight axle design is the best. Smooth ride, no bump steer, no tracking problems. It is truly a shame that every truck manufacturer builds most of their 4x4 trucks with IFS front suspension. They are so stupid. Even the H1 which has IFS front and rear does so bad offroad that it is the vehicle of choice of the US military. You know the other real cheezy off road 4x4 trucks that run IFS is all the top finishers of the BAJA 500. If you like straight axles run them. Just don't expect me to use that rough ridin Junk.

Dan from Alabama<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2slo4now

just some info onyour post...
ifs is cheaper to manufactuer, and rides smoother on the highway... 2 +'s for the majority of the market they are selling too...

ifs wins the baja.. you are correct...
ifs is very good at high speeds, much better than a solid axle up front...

for rock crawling (which I enjoy the most) solid axle is much better due to the amount of flex one is able to get with very little modding...

hope this helps

http://www.eng.ysu.edu/~melliott/hobbies.htm
Old 09-09-2003, 08:13 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DennisAJC:
A stock Toyota TRD/4Runner
A stock H2........I'll take the H2

A built up Toyota TRD/4Runner
A built up H2........HMMMMM..H2 of course

POWER, CARGO, LOOKS, ABILITY????
Toyota vs Hummer????????.........Dream on.

They're all nice CARS but they ain't Hummers

Mabye try and compare with a KIA Sorento not an H2...out of your league.

He ain't heavy.....
He's ma HUMMER baby!
03 NUDE Pewter Lux H2
03 Dressed Range Rover

[This message was edited by DennisAJC on 08-31-03 at 09:59 PM.]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the taco would be my pick of thoes 2, but what ever I ended up getting, it would not remain stock...lol

sas taco over any h2 I have ever seen...
mayby we willsee some highly modded h2's popping up sometime soon?

power... h2,
looks... haha they are both ugly as heck!
ability... stock, not sure, but h2 is higly limited by its width... modded, sas taco by far...

I honestly have never seen h2 vs yotas before this forum...
usually its jeeps vs yota's....
which we all know h2's and yota's kick jeeps butts anyday....lol
hehe

Old 09-09-2003, 08:16 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spiffy:

I think they are jealous they can’t afford the H2. The H2 is the finest production off road vehicle made. I’d like to see a Toy like the Tacoma, or a jeep follow the H2 off road. The H2 would win hands down. Maybe we can find some Jeeps, and Toys to have H2 vs the posers Toyota Trucks. I bet the H2 would put to shame the SAS Tacoma’s. Why put a Total Chaos, or Camburg kit on a Tacoma when you can buy the H2. Those desert posers would be pissed to see a H2 blow buy them thought the whoops<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you can't be serious?
lets go rock crawling some time...
load!

Old 09-09-2003, 08:20 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by argonaut:
... but if you lift a an H2 like one of the forum members here, then you have a vehicle that can kick the crap out of any silly import.

'03 H2 Sunset Orange No mods
'03 BMW M3 Convertible
'02 BMW M5<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you are talking about tacoma's, they are built here in the USA dude
not sure where 4runners are built?

Old 09-09-2003, 08:23 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris:
CronusTRD what was up with that range rover picture? What are you trying to say about the Range Rover? The Range Rover is a very capable vehicle. Not the best for off-road in the Land Rover range, but still very capable. Wow you have a picture when they are stuck in snow. Do you feel special. What was the point of that. You people put huge lifts on yours and put huge tires on yours. And you try to compare yours to stock vehicles. Come on get a life!

Tell me when you find toyota's being used in africa and 3rd world countries because they are so capable? Well other then the FJ40, thats bad ass, but I am talking about your pickups.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the toyota hilux is basically a taco... few things different...

in south aferica. there are a lot of mazda's...
and they are a lot better than the ones we have aroudn here...
go figure

Old 09-10-2003, 03:26 PM

SJ is off the scale

Mike E:

This thread sort of died-down. Just for the record, as I think there is a HUGE misconception:

The Toyota Tacoma is ASSEMBLED in Fremont, CA - very close to my old hometown. The parts are still mostly JAPANESE. Product control is JAPANESE and market share is thereby granted to a JAPANESE company. Revenue from sells flows to a JAPANESE corporation.

Police forces still buy Ford & GM for good reason. Wall Street Journal and most major publications do an annual power rankings report on both domestic and foreign companies. Ford and GM are listed as AMERICAN and Toyota is still indeed JAPANESE.

When you buy a Toyota, you may offer assembly, supplier, and support jobs to Americans; plus some of the design is done stateside.

If the USA eventually only assembles Toyotas, Hondas, and BMWs, then we are relegated to a 2nd-tier manufacturer. We are no longer the "braintrust" behind engineering, innovating, and ultimately controlling the production of automotive products. Instead, we rely on the foreign brands to grant permission for us to assemble and take part in their products.

I don't know about you, but as an American; we shouldn't be relegated to assembling foreign nameplates. We're not a 2nd-tier nation and I'd hate to see it come to that.

I give my loyalty, support, and pride to American nameplates because contrary to the myths it still matters. Not all parts on a Chevy truck are American, but the positives still lean further in our favor versus a Toyota that's assembled in California, yet still under Japanese control. Toyota saves money by shipping parts versus fully assembled units, plus they undercut the import ceiling that was establsihed many years ago.

So, my overlying issue is when you make a comment like the Toyota is MADE in the USA! Yes, assembled, but it is NOT American and it never will be. They can ship all the parts from Tokyo to my backyard, but I'd still call it a Japanese product; not coming from my countrymen in terms of innovation, control, and worldwide recognition to boot.
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley...miley-9839.png
Old 09-10-2003, 11:05 PM

sorry to bring up an old thread,

I just joined recently while looking for more guys to wheel with...

yes a lot of the parts are shipped in from over seas...
but... I have several friends who work at a GM plant where they make cavalears, and sunfires /(used to make sunbirds)... in Lordstown...
and about 90% of the material is shipped in from over seas...

the problem is... its cheaper for big companys to ship in due to low tarrifs than it is to buy off of american companys...

would I buy a sunbird because it is "assembled in the USA" ...lol I did in the past...

Made in the USA is no longer what it used to mean...
I do not know of any company which uses all USA material...

I worked at a Swagelok plant, and they were huge on getting material "Made in the USA" to make all their products...

they were unable to get USA brass and copper since USA providers did not supply what they needed...

Old 09-19-2003, 06:28 AM

MudYota is an unknown quantity at this point

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buckeye Hummer:
[quote] Toyota DID copy Ford's design because it is the best selling full size pickup (duh). What would you do if you wanted to pick apart a market segment? QUOTE]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Toyota DID copy Ford's design because it is the best selling full size pickup (duh). What would you do if you wanted to pick apart a market segment? QUOTE]

Ok first off i am not going to bash you for you ignorance on the Tundra. Yes toyota might have copied the exterior design somewhat. BUT oyur buddies tundra was a V-6 wasnt it?
Ever notice the Tundra is the safest 1/2TON truck on the road OH AND IT TOWS MORE THAN THE FORD AND CHEVY 1/2 TONS YES THATS RIGHT THE TUNDRA TOWS MORE THAN THE F-150 AND THE CHEVY 1500.
AND YES MY FRIEND THE TUNDRA IS A FULSIZE TRUCK.

and further more your forum user Alec W came over to yota tech and he spoke very politley so i tried to do the same out of respect. now my postings here will most likely come to a halt but i may drop in from time to time to say hi not start ****. i am generaly not the type of guy to start ****. Yes i own a toyoa yes i have owned 4 toyotas i totalled 2 out and i traded one in. IMHO you cant beat a toyota, and if i needed more room than waht my truck can give me i will buy a LandCruiser. I am loyal to toyota because toyota vehicles have been good to me. now the fact is my family has had very bad experiences with chevy products. and ford wasnt much better until around 5 years ago. my family currently owns a 94 toyota(mine) a 2003 F-350 4x4 crew cab dually and a 2001 King Ranch crew cab F-150 the reason we have the F-350 is a tundra wont pull a 31 foot 12,000 lb boat and niether will an F-150.

i am done with my little soap box session and if i pissed in someones cheerios i am sorry.

Jason
Old 09-19-2003, 10:37 AM

lynviking is off the scale

An H2 would have been equally buried by that mudslide. What? You think H2's float too?
Old 09-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Hummer Veteran

Spiffy is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lynviking:
An H2 would have been equally buried by that mudslide. What? You think H2's float too?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don’t you know that H2’s have Jesus like qualities? They can walk on water. If you add and “O” to the end of H2, you have H2O.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:27 AM
Hummer Messiah

DennisAJC is an unknown quantity at this point

I can understand a MASSIVE rival between

KIA vs TOYOTA

or

HYUNDAI vs TOYOTA

But come on guys!!! you must be dreamin!
It`s tough to swallow since it`s not within your reach but be fair!

Regardless of WHAT YOU TYPE.....You know in you heart, the H2 rules. Sorry.

He ain't heavy.....
He's ma HUMMER baby!
03 NUDE Pewter Lux H2
03 Dressed Range Rover

My Video Collectionez

Old 09-22-2003, 04:50 AM

David in Germany is off the scale

once again

dennis this is for you... as posted prieviously

and for ****s and giggles some of us are not jelous of the H2 but would like to go wheeling with them.

Can't we all just get along!?
Old 09-22-2003, 07:28 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DennisAJC:

KIA vs TOYOTA

or

HYUNDAI vs TOYOTA

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what have you been smokin?
I must say, every forum I am a member of, there is some kind of argument heep's/taco's...

but you are just crazy...lol

what are you comparing? compact cars?
lol

check out my run last weekend for some awsome rigs!
http://community.webshots.com/album/91416022pBITEG

I usually do rock crawling, and my runner does pretty good... it did well in the mud, just got high sided twice on the diff...
same thing would have happened to an H2...
thoes guys had 38's and 44's... thats how they had the clearance, and the sami still got stuck once...

Old 09-23-2003, 06:29 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MikeE:

KIA vs TOYOTA

or

HYUNDAI vs TOYOTA

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what have you been smokin?
I must say, every forum I am a member of, there is some kind of argument heep's/taco's...

but you are just crazy...lol

what are you comparing? compact cars?
lol

check out my run last weekend for some awsome rigs!
http://community.webshots.com/album/91416022pBITEG

I usually do rock crawling, and my runner does pretty good... it did well in the mud, just got high sided twice on the diff...
same thing would have happened to an H2...
thoes guys had 38's and 44's... thats how they had the clearance, and the sami still got stuck once...

http://www.eng.ysu.edu/~melliott/hob...></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike you look familiar! were you ever in Germany?
hows the runner running after swallowing so much nasty stuff?

Old 09-25-2003, 05:19 PM

ccrunner is off the scale

Most Toyotas are made in the US now, giving jobs to Americans. Most Fords and Dodges are made in either Canada and Mexico. I don't know how many Chevys are made here though. Also MANY parts for American autos are not made in the US.
Toyota took apart Chevy's to see how NOT to make a truck. They were taught to do this by an American named Edward Deming. He tried to convince the big three to build better cars by learnig from their mistakes (and they made A LOT). They wouldn't listen so he went to the Japs in the late 60's. They also learned, like the Germans, to build a product that would last. This was because they had to with limited recources after the wars in their countries.
Thats why I bash most US made cars, although I would buy a Chevy truck over Ford or Dodge. Toyota Trucks are used all over the world in the worst conditions known to man. They are built to survive harsh conditions with no servive at all. I've seen them in the deserts of Australia and Iraq, and the jungles of S. America. There are no dealers or service centers period. An American made truck could not survive these conditions. They have to visit the dealer often because this or that breaks. So I don't wish I had an H2. I'll take my 10 year old 4-Runner with 210,000 trouble free miles. I have never bought a Toyota with less than 100k miles; just broken in. This is the life span of many American made cars.
Just think if it wasn't for the Japanese, American would still be making junk. They had to clean up their act because they were losing there asses making crappy cars. BTW I don't like the Tundra either, looks too much like a Ford, but will last much longer.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:40 PM

David,

I have never been to Germany (that I know of...lol)

I am on many offroad forums, so possibly you've seen my pic on one of them?

the runner is doing... ok...
it made it home even though I had to let it cool down for 15 min about 5 miles north of my house...
the radiators were packed with mud...lol

the outside is still a bit muddy after the pressure washer, and the inside...
I'll clean it sooner or later,
just a good reminder why I hate mud so much...lol

hopefully I'll finish the front bumper this weekend so I'll have a winch ;o)

if I get hung up rock crawling, I can pull myself...lol

ccrunner,

have any pics?

Old 09-26-2003, 03:39 AM

I have some picks of my ugly a$$ truck but I think the H2 guys would probably ban me for posting anymore than the one I posted a few pages back! I bought it for $1500 in 2000 and have been rebuilding things since the get go. The guy that I bought it from had 2 bull mastiffs and they owned the truck (and ate parts of it too) I have converted to the manual Aissin (spl) hubs bigger cam, header, larger tires and have been trying to kill the cancer (salted roads) but it is definatly a pleasure to drive.
I get some pics linked up for you.

Old 09-27-2003, 03:32 AM
Hummer Authority

Steve R is off the scale

Hey guys...just thought I'd drop in on this thread.

You gotta understand something....this is an H2 forum, and lots of people here just blew some major coin to own the "worlds most formiddable offroad vehicle".....and...it's just the energy to root for the home-team. YOu can almost call it H2-denial.

The truth is...the H2 is far from being a super-capable offroad vehicle. The thing is pretty darn wide, it lacks clearance....combined with it's long wheelbase...the last thing is can do is rock-crawl.

That's not to say it can't do some crazy-good stuff. They climb very well, we can abuse some serious side-slope and they repeatedly surprise the heck out of many people. You'll come to find that when you do finally get to offroad with one of them. Well...assuming the driver isn't some moron.

What the H2 is good for is this: packing up the whole darn family and heading out for a weekend of camping. If it's sheer offroad performance, it's hard to beat a modded-out Suzuki Samari or monster Jeep. The modded Taco is pretty darn nice too!

The H2 is entirely in a different class, it's a luxury SUV with some kick-ass 4x4 features that can be surprisingly effective on many terrains.

In the end, it's all about toys and having fun. It's almost like a fishing rod collection or guns: no one particular thing is going to be perfect all around. But then again....I'm not telling you something you don't know already.

Don't let the H2 home-pride get to you...we just like to celebrate our horse a bit much here.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:36 AM

Steve R,

where are you from dude,
mayby we can wheel some time

I thought the H2's had some good clearance...
body and frame seem to be up there pretty well, just the rear diff hanging low (is it a 3/4 ton chevy diff?)

but with the huge tires stock, that gets up there too...

oh well, just my opinion, thought they had some good clearance...lol

I saw some pics in another thread of an h2 going right up a pretty fun hill (I like nasty hills too)...
and they have a ton more power than I do...lol
with a locker, they can probably easily climb a lot of nast hills

gotta be carefull not to roll a taco on some hills like that ...lol

Old 10-01-2003, 03:09 AM

JRT is off the scale

Ok, so I found your site because of the Disco thread by Steve R. I posted up a sincere request for any H2 owners that want to hit some trails. I drive a yota, primarily at the hammers, but I live in Lake Arrowhead.

Anyone that wants to Get It from Big Bear to JV to Truckhaven, drop me a line. Dcole@dreamlinks.net

And to clarify something, Hummers may very well be in the top 3 or so factory produced rigs.

However, if you truly believe that the level of trails that you can conquer in a stock ANYTHING would classify as extreme, you need to take some of that coin that you dropped on the station wagon and buy a clue.

Bring It, let's get on the trail and have some fun.

Regards
Dave