H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 05-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Hummer Expert

Tex_h2 is on a distinguished road
Default Backup Camera

Does anyone have a Aftermarket Backup Camera?

What Type?

Pro's And Con's??

Thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 03:57 AM
Hummer Expert

MDimitri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Backup Camera

I have one that I got set up in the middle marker light.

I setup the monitor on the left hand side of my dash and have a power switch to turn it on or off as I please. I did not want it setup via my nav system because I wanted to keep the fuctions separate. I will be installing in the next month or so a new Pioneer Nav system, two headrest DVD players, visor monitor for the passenger side, detachable roof mount camera along with 500gig hard drive(to record off road adventures) and a 20" flip down monitor for the rear. The purpose of the rear 20" is so that when I play a movie we can all watch I can use the vehicles sound system to play it through and the kids will be able to view it from the rear. Hmmmm that will be a total of 6 monitors in the truck...time for a second battery!.

Cheers.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:15 AM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

For simple reversing assistance, any $40 bumper mount rear-view camera from eBay will do the job. Get the ones with built-in LED for night-time view. It will be color in daytime, b&w at night.

The middle marker hitch-cam has a huge (& dangerous) blind spot right behind & below the 37" spare on my rear-tire carrier. With 2 small kids and a small dog, this was not acceptable. Not a big deal to drill a hole in the bumper right above the rear hitch for regular bullet-type back-up camera.

For off-roading filming and such, you'd want to get ones with true CCD sensor. CCD = More resolution/better quality than CMOS sensor which is cheaper, crappier & form the majority of cameras on eBay.

I use one of those clip-on rear view mirror with built-in LCD to view image. If you buy the one with the LCD on the left side, you might be able to cut a hole in the clip-on mirror's housing on the top right like I did, so that you can still see the oem mirror's LED temperature/compass. Most comes with 2 Video inputs, one for movies & the second will auto-switch-on when you're reversing.

For interior LCDs, I just installed a pair of 10.4" Headrests with independant built-in DVD players. Driving long distance, they are worth their weight in gold with my kids! The gray leather is not exactly the same as the H2's wheat interior, but close enough not to bug me. These are abt $700 & cheap by headrest monitors standards -- which means both headrests are identical -- which means the passenger-side DVD slot also exits to the right -- right into the passenger seatbelt hump. Hence the spacers in the photo below, to make sure the discs can go in & out above the hump without damage. I need to cut the larger chrome post "sleeves" (that came with the LCDs) shorter to use as a much-better looking spacers.

Image quality is superb & the 10.4" size really blows your mind, and I think large enough for 3rd row passangers to see clearly.

The visor LCD was very difficult to install & not for the faint of heart. But my wife loves it.

I connected all 4 LCDs to 4x4 Wireless AV switcher (by Optiview) for independant viewing (from either of the 2 DVD players inside the headrests). So Switch #1 is Driver LCD, #2 Passanger LCD, #3 Rear-view mirror LCD, #4 Wife's Visor LCD.

For when everyone's watching the same movie, I connected audio out #3 (the one for my rear-view LCD) to input to the oem radio head through a PAC GM interface (from Jason at JPCustoms) so the audio comes thru the H2's oem speakers. You might also need to buy pre-amp signal amplifier as the max audio signal volume from my headrests DVDs were low.

When my kids want to watch different movies, you'd need 2-channels IR wireless headphones or wired earphones (backup for out-of-battery emergency in the middle of nowhere).

Old 05-12-2008, 06:23 AM
Hummer Expert

How did you run the cable through the visor to the Head unit? I am having a real bugger trying to figure that out? Did you have to do alot of cutting? I have 2 spare 10" monitors I would like to mount one in the passenger side visor but the cable is very thick. It's a combo S-Video and Left right audio, 6 prong plug. Any pointers?

Cheers!
Old 05-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

No idea what brand. It came with the Eclipse system.

But, I do know the best spot for it.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Hummer Guru

Adam in CO is an unknown quantity at this point

Totally weather proof and gets a fine picture.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Hummer Expert

Tex_h2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam in CO
No idea what brand. It came with the Eclipse system.

But, I do know the best spot for it.

Adam, Do you know the make of this cam. I really like how you've mounted it in the inside...cool. Is it possible for you to take a pic of the cam in motion say from the monitor??

Thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Hummer Authority

H2Finally is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDimitri
How did you run the cable through the visor to the Head unit? I am having a real bugger trying to figure that out? Did you have to do alot of cutting? I have 2 spare 10" monitors I would like to mount one in the passenger side visor but the cable is very thick. It's a combo S-Video and Left right audio, 6 prong plug. Any pointers?

Cheers!
Most LCDs have a short pigtail S-Video connecter. Tie that end to a small wire to feed through the visor opening right below the metal hinge.

The actual combo cable will be routed from behind the glove compartment, up the passenger grab handle trim, into the headliner, out at the corner to the visor and the pig tail mate. Plug together, tape real good, tuck it back into the visor. If the short portion of the cable that's exposed (from visor hinge to corner of headliner) bugs you, paint it tan..

The visor is not too thick. To do all over, I'll look for LCD that's super thin. As is now, half of the LCD's thickness protrude above the visor surface. To finish the cut fabric around the LCD, I needed to dremmel the entire back half of the LCD trim/bezel housing, and keep just the top/surface trim portion. So bezel is halfway the thickness of the LCD.

You'd also want to mount the LCD as low (to the bottom of the visor) as possible, as the top part (where the metal hinge is) requires certain amount of rigidity to maintain the stiffness to keep the visor at an angle.

The plastic insert/sun shade extension in the visor needs to be chopped in half. The protruding end piece is re-inserted back into the visor to maintain aesthetic.

My wife does lament the loss of the mirror. I think I'll get one of those mirrored glass film to stick onto the LCD.

Final result is certainly not oem like the Vizualogic, but very functional and cost only $80 for LCD + $50 spare visor off eBay = $130, instead of a thousand.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:32 PM
Hummer Expert

Great thanks for the notes. I hope to get this done as soon as possible before we take off for the lake this summer. I did find the monitors you have in your H2, why did you get two with the DVD insert to the right of the headrest? were they the only ones available? here is an auction on Ebay with the units you have for $369.95: CLick Me

Here is an image of the monitors:

Are they the same as yours? I will do the hook ups for the rear units but with the Pioneer AvicZ2 soon to be installed I will get me mechanic to do the job.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers!