H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 12-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Hummer Veteran

iccon is on a distinguished road
Default tranny slips 2-3

tranny was slipping between 2-3, had tranny flushed then put in Lucas tranny fix as per the shops recommendation and tranny works great, 95000 miles on truck.
I know some guys had the same problem then had tranny repaired at a big cost, but this only cost $139.00 for tranny flush and $15.00 for Lucas.

So far so good
Cheers
Old 12-02-2008, 12:30 AM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: tranny slips 2-3

if they did not drop the pan and change the filter than you got strocked . just sucking out the old fluid and not cleaning out the gunk on the bottom of the pan and changeing the filter is like takeing a shower and putting you same old underwear back on . also if they did not do it properly (suck out the old fluid ) you can get a front seal leak . I change my fluid and filter every 25000 miles and have installed a heavy duty trans cooler and bypassed the trans cooler in the radiator . glad your trans is working ,but you may want to get a better trans cooler and change the filter and clean the inside of the pan . the additive I have had the best luck with is Smart blend SUV it is a friction modifyer .
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-02-2008, 05:51 AM
Hummer Expert

[__--MUD--__] is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRA51
if they did not drop the pan and change the filter than you got strocked . just sucking out the old fluid and not cleaning out the gunk on the bottom of the pan and changeing the filter is like takeing a shower and putting you same old underwear back on .

I think all dealers do this standard now. My buddy thats a GM mechanic says you can drop the pan and change the filter, but your never going to get all the crap out of the rest of the tranny w/ out flushing it under pressure. Makes sence to me...
Old 12-02-2008, 07:10 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMTECH is an unknown quantity at this point

Correct, a flush is a complete fluid transfer. Dropping the pan only removes approx 5l of fluid. We recomend a flush at 50,000km and a flush and filter swap at 100,000km. Of couse it can be done in shorter intervals, and should be if your pulling a trailer etc. Bottom line though the flush is a more complete service. If you only pull 1/3 of the fluid out what really is the sense in changing the filter? Just my opinion and everyone has their own. Of course i do my own just cause its simple for me so i do both at 50,000km for the simple fact i dont work on transmissions and dont want to start.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:12 AM
Hummer Authority

Oh, and IRA good idea on bypassing the cooler in the rad, makes a hell of a mess if they rupture for sure.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Hummer Expert

I have the machine to do the flush's (we are a used car lot Arizona Motorcar) and I have seen hundreds of bad transmissions. flushing alone will not remve all the clutch debris .as an experiment 3 years ago we have flushed the trans on a 80000 mile 1999 ford F150 and then dropped the pan and you should have seen what was left on the bottom of the pan ,now we flush and than drop the pan clean and change the filter. if you want to do it right you need flush the system drop the pan clean it and change the filter . this is a pain in the A$$ and cost more in labor and trans fluid . I do mine this way and I do customers that way . this has cut our trans failures down 65% in the last 3 years . most won't do it this way because it cost more to do it right and cuts down profit . sometimes short cuts cost more in the long run . FWIW the companys that sell the flush machine pitch it as a fast way to maximize profit on trans services . it's all about the money .
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by IRA51 : 12-02-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:19 AM
Hummer Authority

I agree with ya, for sure. But to sell both services to the average customer is pretty hard to do. thats why i recommend the flush for the first service, then and pan drop and filter change for the 2nd one and alternate those every 50,000 km, not miles. If it was easier to get the average consumer to realize the importance of complete maintenance it would cut down on many repairs for sure. I have seen way to many engine and trans failures due to lack of maint. then they blame us "it always comes here for service" Look back in their service history and maint was declined every time it was recommended. Thats why its so important to note all maint recommendations on the repair order when declined
Old 12-04-2008, 01:27 AM
Hummer Expert

FYI ,all you Calli guys . if you want the best trans work available see Mike at Inglewood Trans ,no bs just great work and great price .
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

I changed the filter about 5 weeks before I had it flushed and so far it shifts the same a when i got it a year ago.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:04 PM
Hummer Veteran

also it was a presure flush of all the fluid