H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 10-03-2009, 03:53 PM
Hummer Professional

s_c5519 is on a distinguished road
Default Question on the motor (power) of the 09's

I had an 05 and an 07 H2, and both were very similar, the main thing that bugged us was how when we're at a complete stop at a light, and then push the gas pedal, the motor makes all this noise and doesn't really go anywhere. I know some people will disagree, and I know you can floor it and it will go, but I mean just every day lightfoot driving was very very annoying, from every day city driving and when you merge on the highway from an offramp etcc,,, the truck would not get out of it's own way as an old saying goes...

I don't know if it's a weight thing but the new Escalades just go smoothly and normal when you hit the gas very lightly, kinda like my father's Ford Escape which is like a gocart... I have read the new H2 engine is better, but it really taht much of a difference?

Being that there are so few new 09's out there, I don't want to go to a dealer and test drive one and put mileage on it and not end up buying it, not fair to the new buyer of course...
Old 10-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Question on the motor (power) of the 09's

YES, but you're going to want to run premium gas.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:52 AM
Hummer Expert

HumminNBoatin' is on a distinguished road

The '09 Hauls A$$. Its 0-60 is like 7.5 seconds. That pretty good for a 7K# Truck
Old 10-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

I've owned an '03 and currently own an '06 H2. I test drove an '09 (now my dealer no longer has any new H2s) this spring and the performance difference is significant and you can hear it and feel it in the seat of your pants.

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 10-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Hummer Expert

Intercooled is off the scale

I have an 06 and it seems fine to me. I have never driven an h2 with the newer power train. And to tell you the truth I dont want to. I may like it and then get dissapointed with what I have! I'm happy where I'm at.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Hummer Expert

twr is on a distinguished road

Hi Intercooled, if you drove a 08/09 you would want one. To save your money don't drive one.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:43 PM
Hummer Professional

Nice, thank you guys, good to know it's quite the difference... As a matter of fact I am going Hummer shopping tomorrow.. I called one dealer and his "brand new only one left 2009" ended up having 1.600 miles when I asked him if he could go out to lot and double check the milage... Jeez I was thinking he was gonna come back with 25-50 or so and i still would been bothered... the last new H2 I bought had 4 miles on it...
Old 10-05-2009, 07:32 AM
Hummer Veteran

codered is on a distinguished road

well the 09's have the ls3 motor in them they are just tuned down from the factory and rated at 395hp. At the wheels they get about 315rwhp. Now such as an 05 like I have, they have an ls2, but yet again they are detuned to 345hp. They only put out about 255rwhp. If your power hungry like I am, go get a simple dyno tune. And if they know what they are doing you could get an easy extra 35 to 45rwhp.
Either way, you can get your h2 to keep up with the 09's. Get rid of the stock clutch fan and get dual electric fans 15hp. Air intake 10hp. Shorty headers 25-35hp. Exhaust 5hp.
So about 250.00 for the dyno tune and about 2500.00 for other parts and you'll have the same amount of hp as a stock 09. Then if you really want the power start with the heads, cam, supercharger, etc. Then the tranny with about a 3200 to 3600 stall and you got a h2 with about 550hp. To me it would be worth the money to fix up the used h2 rather than pay for a new one.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Hummer Expert

IRA51 is on a distinguished road

[quote=codered]well the 09's have the ls3 motor in them they are just tuned down from the factory and rated at 395hp. At the wheels they get about 315rwhp. Now such as an 05 like I have, they have an ls2, but yet again they are detuned to 345hp. They only put out about 255rwhp. If your power hungry like I am, go get a simple dyno tune. And if they know what they are doing you could get an easy extra 35 to 45rwhp.
Either way, you can get your h2 to keep up with the 09's. Get rid of the stock clutch fan and get dual electric fans 15hp. Air intake 10hp. Shorty headers 25-35hp. Exhaust 5hp.
So about 250.00 for the dyno tune and about 2500.00 for other parts and you'll have the same amount of hp as a stock 09. Then if you really want the power start with the heads, cam, supercharger, etc. Then the tranny with about a 3200 to 3600 stall and you got a h2 with about 550hp. To me it would be worth the money to fix up the used h2 rather than pay for a new one.
NO MATTER WEATHER YOUR RICH OR POOR ,IT'S NICE TO HAVE MONEY .
you have.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by IRA51 : 10-05-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Hummer Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by twr
Hi Intercooled, if you drove a 08/09 you would want one. To save your money don't drive one.

Well, you weren't kiddin... Much quieter, wayyyy smoother, and the power difference, to me anyway, wasn't huge, but was definitely there, all in all much more enjoyable to drive from my short test drive, ya makes you want one... That being said, I ended up buying it, picking up tomorrow!
Old 10-09-2009, 01:06 AM
Hummer Authority

mikejr is an unknown quantity at this point

The 08/09 powertrain is much smoother and you can really tell the difference from years prior. I've had on 06, 08 and now a silver ice LE 09 and the updated power train is great!

Only problem is if you try to burn regular fuel in it, its going to run like CRAP! There is a noticable hesitation with regular fuel. If that sort of thing doesnt bother you then you can use regular but if you like to put your foot in it and go, then you will need to burn premium.

For a heavy truck, it runs like a scared rabbit!

2008 H2 Lux Series, Slate Blue, everything but the air suspension - sold

2006 H2 Lux Series, Uplevel Chrome, DVD's, Slate Blue, Sun Roof - sold

"If Life Gives You Limes, Make Margaritas" - Jimmy Buffett