H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 11-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Elcova Newbie

jyoderz is on a distinguished road
Default Replacing front tires

Hello,
I have a questions on replacing tires. My front tires are shot while the rears have about 50% left on them. My Hummer dealer told me it is OK to replace just the fronts and I wanted to confirm here. I fear isues this may cause with the transfer case. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Hummer Expert

HumminNBoatin' is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Replacing front tires

wont cause issues with everyday driving but make contribute to binding when in 4lo lock etc.... I would just replace all four and save your 50% tires as spairs. You did buy a Hummer you know and that means you have to be ready to spend $$$$$$
Old 11-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Hummer Professional

wingn69 is on a distinguished road

& spend & spend $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
2006 H2 Slate Blue LUX with more chorme, K&N 77 Series Intake, Pirelli Scorpion ATR LT325/55R22, 22in polished chrome rims, Kenwood DNX-7200 w/ Garmin Navi, DVD, Bluetooth, IPOD,Rockford Fosegate Punch 10in P-1 Subs, Rockford Fosegate Punch P-300 amp,7" headrest monitors, Carbon Fiber Dash kit, 17 Flip down Monitor, Borla exhaust.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:30 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

I agree with replacing all. If you use the same tire then when they wear down you will have 2 pairs of tires worn at 50%.

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 11-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Hummer Professional

H2R is on a distinguished road

I dont like too many tires laying around so I do tire rotations on a regular basis.
1974 Corvette conv. (454ci)
31ft Gulf Craft Boat
Old 11-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Hummer Authority

Easy Ed is an unknown quantity at this point

Did the truck ever have the tires rotated ? I am guessing not or not often enough and it would be the reason why the fronts are shot, it is a common problem with 4 X 4's (shy of having mechanical problems) and as H2R says, ya got to rotate them to get the most life out of them.

I rotated mine every oil change and lube that I did and also used the spare in the rotation mix. Got new tires at 81,992 miles on 10/08 and the old tires were still in usable shape, I just wanted the 37's The tire shop was going to save the old ones just in case someone would be interested in them

Your call on if you go with two or four tires (how long do you plan on keeping the truck) but I'd go for the four if you are going to keep it for a while and rotate those new tires

Just my .02

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoderz
Hello,
I have a questions on replacing tires. My front tires are shot while the rears have about 50% left on them. My Hummer dealer told me it is OK to replace just the fronts and I wanted to confirm here. I fear isues this may cause with the transfer case. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Hummer Professional

MVR 155 is on a distinguished road

Not sure if you drive in the snow (your location is not filled in) but if you do be preparred for your rig to be very "tail" happy in the white stuff with a fresh set of front tires and old rears..... you will drifting that thing around like Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear

I am also at the point of wanting to replace the stockers on our rig, it has a little over 35K miles and the tires have quite a bit of tread left (~60%) but they are getting a bit noisy and the rubber is getting harder, I noticed early this year in the snow and in the rain that the tires dont bite like they used to. Switching lanes in heavy snow after its grooved from other vehicles really pushes the truck around and has caused it to get a little loose in the tail which is not a big deal for me but with my wife driving I think I want fresh rubber on it before we get any signifigant snow fall here in the Chicagoland area.

One of my buddies has a 2006 as well but he has some bling bling wheels for the summer and puts his stockers on for winter..... the tires are like new (they probably only have 5-6K miles on them...... the truck itself only has 20K miles on it)..... I drove his truck in one of the last snows we had early this year and it was considerably better so I know my tires have lost quite a bit of grip. Just sucks to drop $1000+ for new rubber when they still got meat on them.

SOLD 2006 H2 SUV Luxury: Pewter ext/Black int.

2002 Corvette Z06 Blue/Ebony (light mods)
1/4 mile: 11.661@118.86

2013 Audi S4

2002 Yamaha YZF R1 Blue/White
1/4 mile: 10.51@136

2006 Sea-Doo RXP (70.6mph GPS)
2005 Sea-Doo RXT
Old 11-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Elcova Newbie

jyoderz is on a distinguished road

Thank you everyone.