H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 02-20-2010, 06:02 AM
Hummer Veteran

love dodge is on a distinguished road
Default Buying an 03 h2....Need help with the 4x4.

The hummer is an 2003 with adventure package and with air ride.It has 99000 miles and never been in accident...But i drove it today and noted something weird on the 4x4.
When making a turn with the steering wheel crancked all the way either to the left or to the right the wheels feel like they "sticking" to the ground and the truck stops if i dont keep pressing the gas.I can even hear a "scrathing noise" coming from the rear wheels.
Is this normal on the h2's?
I use to own 4x4 trucks before and remember this had happened with it but when i had the truck on 4x4 hi...
Tomorrow he is going to bring the truck to my mechanic to take a look and depends on what it is i'll decide to buy or not...

Thanks a lot
Old 02-20-2010, 06:58 AM
Hummer Expert

Rico001 is on a distinguished road

There are three 4x4 control buttons on the right side of the dash.
Do you know which one is pushed and lite up?
It should be the top one only for everyday use.

Try stopping the truck, put in neutral and press all 3 buttons at once and it will put the 4x4 settings in neutral / towing mode.
Then press the top button and put back in drive and all should be normal.

Good Luck and hope this takes care of it for you.
~Richard
Yellow 2003 H2 Luxury ALPHA , 2" lift, Black Helo Maxx8 20 X 10 Rims, Toyo AT Open Country II LT35/12.50/R20 tires, taillight guards and black LE brush guard, KC light bar w/4 Daylights, Recon Smoked roof lights, Sirius/XM Satellite Radio, Kenwood Head Unit , 4 - 6-1/2 inch Polk Audio Speakers, solid billet tailgate handle,HUMMER H2 Ghost lights ib front doors
Old 02-20-2010, 07:17 AM
Hummer Veteran

Default Re: Buying an 03 h2....Need help with the 4x4.

I did a little search before getting into this stuff...I know(after fighting with the owner) that the top one 4hi is the one for all the time.And the two others are the locking ones 4hi and 4lo..And the round one should be used only with the 4lo on mud,snow situations...But it looks like the truck is in 4lo all the time tho...And the light is on on the 4hi ( the one for everyday use).If i switch between the buttons they work fine and u can hear the 4lo engaging..
So in other words this is NOT NORMAL right?
Something is wrong them...I going to reset the thing tomorrow e see what's up..Damm i liked that h2 man....
Old 02-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

RCKSTR is on a distinguished road

Make sure it is in 4 high, and not 4 high lock.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:08 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like it's in 4 HI Lock. The button right above the neutral (N line) should be the one pressed.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:05 AM
Hummer Veteran

i drove the h2 yesterday and it was on 4hi unlocked..The top button..And for sure something was wrong with it...It was a good price tho but i let it go..i was scared to death in having to deal with a busted 4x4...but thanks a lot guys help was very apreciated
Old 02-22-2010, 04:29 AM
Hummer Expert

HumminNBoatin' is on a distinguished road

Keep looking man you will find one. Just a couple of tips on the h2. especially since you are looking at higher mileage older units. Some of these tips could help you negotiate better.

1. Check out all the front end linkage. Odds are its all shot unless it has been recently replaced. So Pitman Arm, Idler Arm and tie rods. Also ball joints.

2. H2's are know to eat hubs as well. Hubs are easy to replace but expensive. so check them.

3. If you hear weird groans or rattles get under the truck odds are the skid plates are bent up from offroad use. The ladder style one will press up against the exhaust ( usually making groans and squeeks) and the small one under the trasfer case will bend and touch it causing rattling sounds.

4. Check the air springs in the rear for cracking. They dry rot if you see cracks they are leaking or close to leaking. They run about $150 each.

5. Go through all the gear selections and make sure they work. Also check the rear locker and make sure it works. Just come to a complete stop and make sure the truck is in 4lo lock before trying to engage it. Odds are the locker should be fine unless it was badly abused. However most of the rear lockers on H2's never even get used.

I hope this helps man.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:48 PM
Hummer Authority

HummerJim is an unknown quantity at this point

Great tips! I'd ad one more on higher mileage H2s: pull the dipstick on the automatic transmission and smell the fluid and look at the color. If it smells burnt or is grey or black, they've probably never changed the automatic transmission fluid, which also means they've probably never changed the transfer case or diff fluids. Ask for some documentation on the fluid changes.
As for the antifreeze, I've known H2s to go 6 years with the same antifreeze and no water pump or radiator problems, but I wouldn't recommend it. If the color is green or yellow gold on the antifreeze, they've changed it. Reddish or orange???
Old 02-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Hummer Veteran

Something is goign on with the h2's man..I just found another one..It's an 03 with the options that i want and the guy just broke the t-case of it...Weird i know...He says thats no power going to the front wheels,and the truck now is a 2wd so i guess t-case..
Is it expensive to have it rebuild?
Old 02-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Hummer Expert

HummerMann is on a distinguished road

YES!

Hummer, like nothing else
Old 02-28-2010, 08:13 AM
Hummer Authority

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ is off the scale

Gang really good tips. It is great to see you young whipper snappers taking the time to learn this stuff. ;o) I'm just a real young 53 except where my health is concerned. Been 1 full decade battling health and no insurance has kept me depleted of funds or I would own 1 of each style Hummer from H1 to the newest HX/H4. But very proud of the H2 rig I have and hope never, God willing, to let go of it.

I would add one more tip and it is rare but, the electricty may not be getting to switch so you can change range. I would pull fuse cover and check then take center dash off with simple test light to figure it out if owner would allow or just take it to a dealer or Chevy dealer. By now Chevy should be up on most things Hummer. My Hummer dealer and Chevy have been on same lot just on each end of property. I think now the Hummer Dealer is just sales if that anymore. All service is done at Chevy with the guys who dealer has sent to certified training. Hopefully they are not just fake's. He He He

TAZ
05 H2 SUV cus. paint, Magnuson SC 6/12lb boost, cowl hood scoop, 12" dash touchscreen, GM elec. fans, HPTuners.com tuning soft., Dynatech headers dual catback exhaust Jet Hot chrome front to back Flowmaster Super 40's, Diamo 8 Karat rims & 325X60-20" Toyo, 4 OEM Captain seats Katzkins leather, rear console computer inside running all AV/NAV etc., Infinity component system 3 amps Tsunami Caps, rear flip down 12" monitor, headrest monitors, overhead console boost, fuel pressure, & A/F ratio gauges
Old 03-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
Gang really good tips. It is great to see you young whipper snappers taking the time to learn this stuff. ;o) I'm just a real young 53 except where my health is concerned. Been 1 full decade battling health and no insurance has kept me depleted of funds or I would own 1 of each style Hummer from H1 to the newest HX/H4. But very proud of the H2 rig I have and hope never, God willing, to let go of it.

I would add one more tip and it is rare but, the electricty may not be getting to switch so you can change range. I would pull fuse cover and check then take center dash off with simple test light to figure it out if owner would allow or just take it to a dealer or Chevy dealer. By now Chevy should be up on most things Hummer. My Hummer dealer and Chevy have been on same lot just on each end of property. I think now the Hummer Dealer is just sales if that anymore. All service is done at Chevy with the guys who dealer has sent to certified training. Hopefully they are not just fake's. He He He

TAZ
Thanks a lot guys for all the replies...very much apreciated...i just got mine yesterday and its a 03 black wit adventure package...love it so far...