H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 05-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Hummer Veteran

smileynialley is on a distinguished road
Default Subwoofer install inside boot compartment

I've just finished my subwoofer install so figured i'd share the process encase one of you guys want to do that same.

This is the boot/trunk compartment that I used. The plastic isn't great as an enclosure for anything too powerful and you can only realy fit an 8" sub but it turned out great for my needs. It's not too deep because of the wheel arch but it's fairly long so gives it a pretty good sound.

This is the sub I used. It's an 800watt 8" jbl. Pretty good for the cost of it. And it will be hooked up to a 1600 watt amp.

I made a template using the old storage tray from the compartment and cut out a wooden plank which the sub will sit in and be attached to the side compartment.

The wiring was a nigthmare and was too frustrated to take a photo. Basically i had to take a feed from the rear right speaker and a feed from the rear left speaker and link them to an RCA cable which was then run to the amp.
The amp needed it's own direct power from the battery so i ran a large red cable form the battery terminal, underneath the chassis and into the cabin through a rubber drain plug underneath the drivers side carpet. From there it was run along the inside of the plastic covers to the amp.
It's pretty messy looking but cant be seen when seat are down and gives me an easy way to add another underseat sub.

I covered the wood in a black cloth which i'm not too happy about because it looks cheap but will do for now. I'll eventually change it for a carpet that covers the screw heads. It's best to but a layer of sticky foam between the wood and the plastic to stop any rattling.
I also had to put a layer of foam between the plastic compartment where the sub is mounted and the glass because of rattling. Aside from this it didn't rattle at all and gives a pretty good sound for an 8" sub.

I think it's good because you can make more use of a useless compartment. The bass isn't the usual thump you get from a normal sub box but it makes a pretty good bang and you dont loose any space.

enjoy
Old 05-15-2013, 01:02 PM
Hummer Veteran

ryaleon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Subwoofer install inside boot compartment

That looks pretty damn good
Old 05-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Hummer Veteran

New York City is on a distinguished road

Looks very clean. What size is that woofer?

I would love to do that to my hummer. I have 2 15" L7 Kickers.
Unfortunately they would annihilate the entire side off completely.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Hummer Veteran

It's an 8 inch 800watt jbl sub but has a really low mounting depth, which is what you need because if the sub was any lower it would knock against the inside of the wheel arch.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road

im thinking of doing the same thing except pulling the plastic all together and fiberglassing an enclosure in place on both sides.
im thinking some Sundown Audio SA8 subs and amp to power them.

currently im running a single 10 thats in a crappy box that fits under the back seat. my amp is under the seat as well in the open space not covered by the box.

im running a Pioneer deck
4.88 gears *** Cognito UCA & SwayBar Links *** Kryptonite tie rods *** K&N CAI *** 37x12.50xR20 BFG KM2 Mud Terrain's *** 20x10 Black KMC Rockstars *** EBC Slotted Rotors *** N-FAB Sidesteps *** Line-X Grill *** Recon Smoke Cab Lights ***Diablo Predator U7193
Old 05-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Hummer Veteran

BUNNY15 is on a distinguished road

Looks like you did a good job. I've always thought those buckets were kind of a waste of space considering how shallow they are. I may have to try this technique. Thanks for sharing.

2003 H2, Moog Idler, Pitman, Up/Low BJ, In/Out TR, Fabtech 6in Lift, Yokohama Geolander M/T 40x15.50x20, Black XD Bombs 20x9, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Yukon 5:13 gears f/r, Hypertech Max programmer, KC 851 HID's 35w, Pioneer DVD/NAV/TOUCHSC, 10" woofers, 6k Headlight HID's, White LED DRL (wired to run w/headlights on),Custom University of Texas gauges, Custom yellow paint. interior, Fuel pump/filter (Feb '13), Rebuilt 4L60E (April '13) & Rebuilt Transfer Case (Oct '14)
Old 05-17-2013, 07:41 AM
Hummer Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellz
im thinking of doing the same thing except pulling the plastic all together and fiberglassing an enclosure in place on both sides.
im thinking some Sundown Audio SA8 subs and amp to power them.

currently im running a single 10 thats in a crappy box that fits under the back seat. my amp is under the seat as well in the open space not covered by the box.

im running a Pioneer deck

Sounds good but I hate working with fibreglass so really couldn't be bothered with all the hassel.
I may consider taking the compartment off and fibreglassing the inside, so that i keep the stock look but strengthen the enclosure.
As you can see from the pics there isnt a whole lot of room behind those compartments thanks to the wheel arches.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:01 AM
Hummer Veteran

carloquaglia is on a distinguished road

My in Italy!

the amplifier is installed under the subwoofer
Attached Images

'03 H2-Hipertech progr-Add gauges-Cooper DiscoSTT 37x12.5x17-Pirelli PZero 315/40R26-DUB DirtyDog26x10-Sport brake disc rotor-Stainless brake hose-FAB in/out TR-MOOG up/low BJ pitman idler-HD swaybar links-increased oil sump-MSD-Rancho9000XL-Rancho steering-Ring&Pinion4.56AxleRatio-BBKheaders-Magnaflow Cat&Exhaust-AiraidAirIntake-3"Fenders-1"Spacers-LE BullBar-LightBarDelta10x-AMP Powerstep-5LCDscreen-Navi-PlayStation-DVD-RearCamera-f&r parking sensors-All LED&Xeno f&r
from italiahummerclub.com

Last edited by carloquaglia : 05-17-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Hummer Expert

Hellz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloquaglia
My in Italy!

the amplifier is installed under the subwoofer

can you post some better pics that shows the whole side please?
4.88 gears *** Cognito UCA & SwayBar Links *** Kryptonite tie rods *** K&N CAI *** 37x12.50xR20 BFG KM2 Mud Terrain's *** 20x10 Black KMC Rockstars *** EBC Slotted Rotors *** N-FAB Sidesteps *** Line-X Grill *** Recon Smoke Cab Lights ***Diablo Predator U7193
Old 05-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Hummer Veteran

jmudler is on a distinguished road

For some reason I cant see any of smileynialley pics......Is it me?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:01 AM
Hummer Veteran

carloquaglia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellz
can you post some better pics that shows the whole side please?
Hi,
Also at the beginning I had a subwoofer as smileynialley, then later on I did this.
has not been performed no hole, for fastening have been used the two bolts of the wheel support: one external and the other internal to the subwoofer. hand made, built in fiberglass and MDF and covered in leather.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foto 3.JPG (150.7 KB, 765 views)
File Type: jpg foto 2.JPG (128.0 KB, 601 views)
File Type: jpg foto 1.JPG (134.4 KB, 555 views)
'03 H2-Hipertech progr-Add gauges-Cooper DiscoSTT 37x12.5x17-Pirelli PZero 315/40R26-DUB DirtyDog26x10-Sport brake disc rotor-Stainless brake hose-FAB in/out TR-MOOG up/low BJ pitman idler-HD swaybar links-increased oil sump-MSD-Rancho9000XL-Rancho steering-Ring&Pinion4.56AxleRatio-BBKheaders-Magnaflow Cat&Exhaust-AiraidAirIntake-3"Fenders-1"Spacers-LE BullBar-LightBarDelta10x-AMP Powerstep-5LCDscreen-Navi-PlayStation-DVD-RearCamera-f&r parking sensors-All LED&Xeno f&r
from italiahummerclub.com
Old 05-27-2013, 03:08 AM
Hummer Veteran

canadianH2 is on a distinguished road

Nice clean install ..both you guys, I pity the person who is sitting in that drivers side rear seat lol.