H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > Technical Discussion and Customizing your H2

Old 06-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Banned

alicefred is on a distinguished road
Default Aftermarket In-dash DVD/CD navigation recommendation

Sorry if this has been asked before I can't find anything under search. I recently purchased a 03 H2, everything is working pretty well except the OEM radio/CD player. So I am planning to replace it with new aftermarket In-dash DVD/CD navigation. I would like something with steering wheel controls, rear view camera option, CD/DVD and XM Radio. I searched online for awhile a found many brands with different specs are available in the market. I also found discounts on In-dash DVD/CD navigations at http://www.dealrocker.com and http://www.nextag.com. I must admit that I don't know much about Hummer audio and electronics. Can anyone point me in the right direction and help me to choose the best one.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Hummer Novice

chris4851 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Aftermarket In-dash DVD/CD navigation recommendation

I purchased a Pioneer AVIC-X920BT and installed in my 06 H2 last week, unit is great. Full navigation, DVD, iPhone/Pod/Pad integration. Also has Pandora link which is a new feature allowing you to hook up and iPhone with Pandora and use the headunit for controling it.

Installed a universal Audiovox backup camera which works great during the day and isnt great at night. You can see a car at night behind you when your up close but not from a short distance. Should have purchased one with IR capability. I will have to look to purchase more lighting when in reverse to help with this issue.

Installation of the unit was not to bad, obviously had to purchase the GMOS-04 which allowed integration to the stock AMP, retained the chimes, OnStar, 12V RAP.

Next step is to take it a bit further and integrate the unit with the rear headrest monitors and install a steering wheel control interface. Will be just like OEM radio with much better and more fuctionality.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Hummer Professional

charles06 is on a distinguished road

I have the high-end Kenwood unit, and it's great. I previously had the Pioneer one, but after it was stolen, I replaced it with the Kenwood. Kenwood pays Apple for some kind of rights to have access to software that makes their iPod/iPhone integration a little better.

The navigation on this works really well too, as it is essentially a Garmin unit in the Kenwood. If you've ever used a Garmin, you'll know how easy this works.

I also have the steering wheel controls, but don't expect them to work very long. Hummers, Escalades, and some Chevy trucks have a problem with these controls (not just the Kenwood ones). They are not hard to re-program, just a little annoying. Mine has stopped working once in about a year. The shop re-programmed it in about an hour.

Btw, the shop that did my work, and recommends this unit, has done work for about everyone you can imagine. I was looking at Dwight Howard's new Porsche Panamera Turbo when Vince Carter pulled up in his Maserati. The name of the shop is Ultimate Audio in Orlando, FL. Unbelievable place!
White 2005 SUT, Lifted 7.5" via Fabtech/custom work, Fabtech Dirt Logic 2.25 shocks, 40x15.5x22 Toyo's, black 22" Fuel wheels, 4.88 gears, Dynatech long tube headers, Magnaflow exhaust, Air-raid intake, Superchips programmer, Edlebrock panhard bar, Cognito UCA's, Kryptonite tie rods, Cognito pitman/idlar arm gussets, Hotchkis swaybars and trailing arms, Amp Research steps, E&G fender flares, PIAA SMR's, smoked roof lights (bulbs removed), black suede headliner, 13" JL's under seat
Old 07-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Hummer Authority

guruerror is on a distinguished road

I had a Pioneer AVIC-Z2 installed and used a PAC unit to interface with the steering wheel controls. I ran it for a year or so...worked great . It'll do everything that you're looking for...

...the problem that I found with any aftermarket unit is that the opening in the dash is so damn big that most units look aftermarket. None of them actually fill up the whole space without some kinda of bezel around them. That look drives me crazy. I eventually pulled the Pioneer unit an installed a mini PC in the back of the truck with an 8" widescreen touch display in the dash and passenger sunvisor.

The 8" screen fills the entire area of the factory dash opening perfectly...you really gotta be a computer nerd to start this kinda project, though. BUT I do have HD radio, XM, Sirius, Garmin Mobile navigation software, DVD/Bluray capability, realtime traffic, Google Maps, weather, wireless Internet (for anyone with a WiFi device), text to speech email reader, forward and rear facing cameras, 500GB of storage space for movies and mp3s for those really long road trips, and a few other bells and whistles. (www.centrafuse.com)

That said...if the aftermarket look drives you nuts too, but you don't want to completely rewire your truck I still have my OEM Nav ('05 Lux) with the map DVD if you're interested...I'd just have to pop the dash open to get the GPS antenna out.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2FAR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror
I had a Pioneer AVIC-Z2 installed and used a PAC unit to interface with the steering wheel controls. I ran it for a year or so...worked great . It'll do everything that you're looking for...

...the problem that I found with any aftermarket unit is that the opening in the dash is so damn big that most units look aftermarket. None of them actually fill up the whole space without some kinda of bezel around them. That look drives me crazy. I eventually pulled the Pioneer unit an installed a mini PC in the back of the truck with an 8" widescreen touch display in the dash and passenger sunvisor.

The 8" screen fills the entire area of the factory dash opening perfectly...you really gotta be a computer nerd to start this kinda project, though. BUT I do have HD radio, XM, Sirius, Garmin Mobile navigation software, DVD/Bluray capability, realtime traffic, Google Maps, weather, wireless Internet (for anyone with a WiFi device), text to speech email reader, forward and rear facing cameras, 500GB of storage space for movies and mp3s for those really long road trips, and a few other bells and whistles. (www.centrafuse.com)

That said...if the aftermarket look drives you nuts too, but you don't want to completely rewire your truck I still have my OEM Nav ('05 Lux) with the map DVD if you're interested...I'd just have to pop the dash open to get the GPS antenna out.

To confirm our email correspondense, payment and shipping label sent for the nav unit. Let me know when you get that antenna fished out.
Thanks!
H2FAR
2009 R350 4matic
1999 Suburaban LT 2500 4wd SOLD
Old 07-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Hummer Authority

Roger that...payment and label received.

Unit is bubble-wrapped and ready to go. Gonna pull the truck in the garage (air conditioned...thank god) tomorrow after work and pull the antenna out.

Should ship Tuesday...thanks for you patience.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:19 AM
Hummer Authority

OMG! Dude...you seriously owe me a shot. If you're ever in md you gotta look me up and buy me a drink. This night I have been further into my dash then I have ever been before!

I got that antenna out...your unit will ship tomorrow morning. I'll include a bill of sale with my VIN in case you need to take the nav to a GM dealer to get it unlocked for your truck.

It's all good though...I think I'm gonna drop all the dash parts of at the Line-X shop and have them sprayed. The plastic always seemed a little 'cheap' to me...hopefully the Line-X will toughen it up for me.

Enjoy the nav!
Old 07-27-2010, 03:27 PM
Hummer Veteran

H2FAR is on a distinguished road

Well thanks for that. If I do head that way it will be when the Blues are running. Maybe we can wash a few of those down with a cold one.

H2FAR
2009 R350 4matic
1999 Suburaban LT 2500 4wd SOLD
Old 08-13-2010, 01:53 AM
Hummer Authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruerror

DIY NAV

Old 08-29-2010, 07:06 AM
Hummer Veteran

mightyepp is on a distinguished road

Kenwood DNX6160. Just installed one and it is awesome. It does everything. Watch DVDs while driving, hook up back up camera, bluetooth for full phone controls, iPod, aux connection, video input, built in Garmin navigation, etc. Best investment I have made for my Hummer thus far. Highly recommend and easy to install. Just get a GMOS-04 harness.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:37 AM
Hummer Novice

SteelsH2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyepp
Kenwood DNX6160. Just installed one and it is awesome. It does everything. Watch DVDs while driving, hook up back up camera, bluetooth for full phone controls, iPod, aux connection, video input, built in Garmin navigation, etc. Best investment I have made for my Hummer thus far. Highly recommend and easy to install. Just get a GMOS-04 harness.

Are you able to use your steering controls with this model?
Thanks