H1 Photo Gallery
H1 Details

General Info

Hummer Dealers
Contact
Advertise

Sponsored Ads

Source Motors - custom. accessories.

Go Back   Hummer Forums by Elcova > Hummer H2 Discussion Forums > General H2 Discussion

Old 04-28-2005, 10:51 AM
Hummer Authority

JamesT is an unknown quantity at this point

This is such a great forum. Never did I think that I would get so many great, objective, points of view (some so wrong ) and for this I thank all of you. I heareby appoint all of you to my Board of Directors. EXCEPT YOU BLINGIDIOT....no room for you. We have a car wash guy already.

After 24 hours of this whole thing I have no regrets. Seth had a great point when he said "He was a LEADER in James' organization. The guy made over 60k a year (a LOT of money here in San Antonio) and was expected to lead as James would himself." This sums it up. If he has a personal issue, deal with it behind a door with me. Certainatly not with a hourly staff member,

As I said, sincere thanks for the feedback.

Hey, dont all of you have jobs? Get to work!
Old 04-28-2005, 01:33 PM

Hart1 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Hart1, you have some good thoughts on this, but as PARAGON alludes to, by calling your own comments "a esoteric path" (should be "an esoteric path", twice, nonetheless), and saying things like “for your benefit,” you make yourself sound incredibly arrogant and no one wants to bother listening to you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your current viewpoint that I come across as "arrogant" is regrettable. I was being positive about the information I wanted to share, nothing more. And I now regret sharing it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ok, this is the second time you used this word in this thread. Do you even know what it means?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

By "esoteric" I mean those principles which are above man-made ideas, and which can therefore change and uplift a receptive man or woman. As an example, I was trying to get James to look at this troublesome event in a new way; instead of battling the event, using facts to understand it. However, it seems most have rejected exploring this path (hence the word "esoteric").

If James' goal was to punish, then he has indeed done quite well. However, if his goal was to correct a mistake (opening one's mouth before one thinks, we are all condemned, then), then he has failed, miserably.Keeping employees "inline" (or anyone for that matter) with fear, will only get you so far.

What if there was a way to correct the problem and at the same time increase employee loyalty, without using fear? In fact, there is.

I am a Division Manager for a very affuent and respected City, with numerous staff under my direction, and I interact with the community often, so I do speak from experience.

"To be aware that we are unaware is an especially valuable from of awareness"
Old 04-28-2005, 02:05 PM

Hart1 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> should be "an esoteric path", twice, nonetheless </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arrogance?

The choice of article is actually based upon the phonetic (sound) quality of the first letter in a word, not on the orthographic (written) representation of the letter. If the first letter makes a vowel-type sound, you use "an"; if the first letter would makes a consonant-type sound, you use "a."

So "Esoteric" is sounded as "es" or "s" so "a" can be used. s-e-teric is the sound spelling or "consonant-type sound.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:11 PM
Banned

PARAGON has a little shameless behaviour in the past

es·o·ter·ic Pronunciation Key</A>(s-trk)

Try again, EH!
Old 04-28-2005, 02:14 PM

Hart1 is off the scale

No, the e is silent.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hart1:
Your current viewpoint that I come across as "arrogant" is regrettable. I was being positive about the information I wanted to share, nothing more. And I now regret sharing it.

By "esoteric" I mean those principles which are above man-made ideas, and which can therefore change and uplift a receptive man or woman. As an example, I was trying to get James to look at this troublesome event in a new way; instead of battling the event, using facts to understand it. However, it seems most have rejected exploring this path (hence the word "esoteric").

If James' goal was to punish, then he has indeed done quite well. However, if his goal was to correct a mistake (opening one's mouth before one thinks, we are all condemned, then), then he has failed, miserably.Keeping employees "inline" (or anyone for that matter) with fear, will only get you so far.

What if there was a way to correct the problem and at the same time increase employee loyalty, without using fear? In fact, there is.

I am a Division Manager for a very affuent and respected City, with numerous staff under my direction, and I interact with the community often, so I do speak from experience.

"To be aware that we are unaware is an especially valuable from of awareness" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You should regret it. But I don't see it as arrogance. For me, for one to display arrogance, they would need to back up that display and you are quickly losing points in that game. You state, "I was trying to get James to look at this troublesome event in a new way; instead of battling the event, using facts to understand it." Frankly put, "battling" an event and "understanding" it does not mutually exclude each other. What is funny here is that you assume to "understand" the situation better than the person involved and purport to offer a better solution to something you have a minute amount of details about. What would possess someone to provide such direct opinion on something based solely on one simple post made in frustration? Others here have offered various opinions but not so much to say that he was just wrong. Your word of the day usage of "esoteric" belies the idea that you have some great human understanding that makes you qualified to offer opinion in matters such as this.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hart1:
No, the e is silent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>So, you are saying that Webster's dictionary is wrong and the proper way to say the word is "soteric."

If that is the case I guess you would pronounce especially as "specially".
Old 04-28-2005, 02:33 PM
Hummer Expert

Andy C is off the scale

OK I have absolutely no idea what the previous ten posts have been about - but I would have fired the prick as well.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy C H2 hasbeen:
OK I have absolutely no idea what the previous ten posts have been about </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That would be because they are esoteric posts. Only H2 owners would understand.

You are now an exoteric forum member.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Hummer Authority

Andy, Thanks for the candid support!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy C H2 hasbeen:
OK I have absolutely no idea what the previous ten posts have been about - but I would have fired the prick as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Hummer Authority

All of this depends on what your definision of "is" is.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
No, the e is silent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>So, you are saying that Webster's dictionary is wrong and the proper way to say the word is "soteric."

If that is the case I guess you would pronounce especially as "specially". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-28-2005, 02:37 PM

Hart1 is off the scale

Paragon:

Please don't put words in my mouth. The topic read "pissed off" or something like that. I was only offering a different way to look at this event. There is a way to change your thinking without getting "pissed off", did you know that?

others have rightly expressed their viewpoints, I have too.

If my points and observations would have sounded a bell, then James could have PM me and I would have given him more information that has greatly benefited me in these situations.

The real question is, why has this information made you react the way you have? Sometimes the truth is shocking when one is asleep. Who knows?

I stand by my viewpoints and my suggestions. Sorry!
Old 04-28-2005, 02:39 PM
Hummer Authority

OK...FUC% OFF Seth! Feel better????

Just kidding you know <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sfox:
Kind of like "special ed" or "special needs"...

Man this conversation is waaaaaay too high-brow for this forum, somebody drop a cpuple of F-bombs and get us all recentered on the sotericness of being an H2 owner that canned someone for talkin smack about his truck......

S </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 04-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Banned

Paragon:

Please don't put words in my mouth. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't worry, I can't. It's already full of your foot.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Hummer Expert

Andy C is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PARAGON:
OK I have absolutely no idea what the previous ten posts have been about </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That would be because they are esoteric posts. Only H2 owners would understand.

You are now an exoteric forum member. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never realised my IQ was going to drop so dramatically when I became a hasbeen.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Banned

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by sfox:
Man this conversation is waaaaaay too high-brow for this forum.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Now, that can't be so. I am just a redneck from M'ssisip.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:45 PM

Hart1 is off the scale

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Kind of like "especial ed" or "especial needs"... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good examples of a consonant-type sound, if they were really sounded that way.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Banned

tower is an unknown quantity at this point

No, PARAGON is quite correct. If they were really spelled that way, they would be vowel-type sounds. Unlike you, I'm not suggesting you need Special ED, only second grade grammar.

Did you really think that by omitting information you would make you point?

"A" goes before all words that begin with consonants.
· a cat
· a dog
· a purple onion
· a buffalo
· a big apple
with one exception: Use an before unsounded h.
· an honorable peace
· an honest error
"An" goes before all words that begin with vowels:
· an apricot
· an egg
· an Indian
· an orbit
· an uprising
with two exceptions: When u makes the same sound as the y in you, or o makes the same sound as w in won, then a is used.
· a union
· a united front
· a unicorn
· a used napkin
· a U.S. ship
· a one-legged man
Note: The choice of article is actually based upon the phonetic (sound) quality of the first letter in a word, not on the orthographic (written) representation of the letter. If the first letter makes a vowel-type sound, you use "an"; if the first letter would makes a consonant-type sound, you use "a." So, if you consider the rule from a phonetic perspective, there aren't any exceptions. Since the 'h' hasn't any phonetic representation, no audible sound, in the first exception, the sound that follows the article is a vowel; consequently, 'an' is used. In the second exception, the word-initial 'y' sound (unicorn) is actually a glide [j] phonetically, which has consonantal properties; consequently, it is treated as a consonant, requiring 'a'.
Either you are operating under the misunderstanding that the “e” in esoteric is silent, or you are misapplying your own rule. You are mistaking the sound of the letter "S" (a consonant-type sound requiring a; example at the beginning of the word stop) for the sound of the "NAME of the letter 'S', which has the sound 'ess'" as in essence or esoteric (a vowel-type sound requiring “an”). You would no more say "a esoteric concept" than you would "an stop sign."

But I'm really not about arguing syntax here; my point was that it is arrogant to call you own thought esoteric. It makes you sound as if you think the concepts that you are imparting are above most other people’s ability to comprehend. I couldn't agree with you less. I voiced my opinion. I believe James understood it, but suspect he disagrees. I respect that. It’s his choice to make. In the scheme of things, I value my own opinion no more than anyone else’s. Why would you try to set your ideas above those of others by calling them esoteric? I found nothing in you comments here that were difficult to understand. Certainly nothing that qualifies (using your definition) as principles which are above man-made ideas.